none
Account Picture in Windows 7

Общие обсуждения

• Does anyone know how to remove the account picture frame in the logon screen.  I have setup 7 so that I have to input both my username and password and was wondering if there is any way to remove the frame where the account picture should go?  I would prefer not to have to do a registry edit.  Any help would be appreciated.
    25 января 2009 г. 15:04

Все ответы

• Personally I don't know of any way to, but I am tempted to ask why would you want to remove it?
    25 января 2009 г. 15:10
  • It is kind of useless with "do not display last username" enabled.  I can see why you might want it if you had "do not display last username" disabled.  I am trying to get it to resemble the windows xp pro login.
    25 января 2009 г. 15:24
  • Well I fear you may have to resort to some possible third party solution, as the new Login environment was designed to be more secure I believe.  You could always try to make it useful, and require the users to supply a photo of themselves, and that way it will help identify who is who.

I know you have last user deactivated, but depending on the amount of users, it may be helpful to employees/users to leave it on.

Sorry its more of a 'tough put up with it' type of reply but If you cant find the functionality you want, you have to find 3rd party solutions (which of course is impossible for Mac OS due to nanny apple in control :) ) or try to make do, and remember why the changes were made.

25 января 2009 г. 15:36
  • I do think that is a bit unneccassary if you dont want to use one, dont, but I dont see the point in having two seperate login-environments.
    25 января 2009 г. 18:09
  • This may not be an answer you want, but you can set a Local Group Policy to where the picture shown is a standard picture or logo for all users.

Even setting the Always use classic logon GPO fails to remove the picture frame.

I agree that you should be able to have the same logon front similar to what you see with Windows XP.  For most institutions, it is just good security to present prospective users with as little information as possible.

25 января 2009 г. 18:55
  •   Having a picture that is common for all users is better than having a blank picture frame.  What if these windows 7 machines are connected to a domain?  I could see where having a picture for each user might put a little bit of a strain on the network (using local profiles not roaming profiles).  If a company does decide to add a picture of each person to there authentication server (ldap?? I am not a network person) is that going to cause issues for computers that are also on the domain and using win xp pro.--again I am not a network person

just my 2 cents

25 января 2009 г. 20:46
  •  

Have the computer a domain member should not pose any problem.  Especially when using local instead of roaming profiles.  Looking at the description of the group policy setting, the image is loaded from the local computer; therefore, as long as each computer on the domain has the standardized logo named user.bmp located under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures all should be okay. 

FYI: The default user.bmp image is the sun flower.  Back this up and replace it with one of your choosing (128x128 pixels).  Bear in mind that since this folder is a protected, system folder, you may have to use the command prompt as Administrator or enable the local Administrator account, switch user, and do all modifications from there.

I will give this a test at work on my isolated network.

26 января 2009 г. 1:12
  • so if a company wanted to setup there computers (ones that anyone with a user name and password can logon to) so that a picture of that user would show up with there account the accounts would have to be setup as a roaming profile?  I was under the impression that if each user was assigned a picture to there account then it would just be pulled down from the authentication server (ldap) but it makes more sense if it were a roaming profile.

again just speculating

26 января 2009 г. 2:27
  • Hi h2otox

Your answer in the thread starters second message.

Use Group Policy to set the 'Do not display last user name" policy.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    26 января 2009 г. 5:50
  • Even though we are falling off track here (some interesting issues have come up though) we are still looking for a solution to remove the picture frame from the windows login
    26 января 2009 г. 22:31
  •  

I tested today at work with Windows 7 joined to a Windows 2003 R2 domain.  Although you can set the default picture for all users, domain and local, it will only appear after the user is logged on at the top of the Start Menu.  It will not show at the logon screen.

Hdconsultant2:

I guess you are back to square one:  How to remove the blank picture frame from the login screen?

Ronnie,

Using the Group Policy “Do not display last user name” fails to get rid of the picture frame at the login screen which is what hdconsultant2 is looking to do.

27 января 2009 г. 0:59
  • well thanks for the testing

so the picture frame is kind of useless for computers that are on a domain unless there is a default picture set like darienhawk67 said. 

DarienHawk67 said:

Have the computer a domain member should not pose any problem.  Especially when using local instead of roaming profiles.  Looking at the description of the group policy setting, the image is loaded from the local computer; therefore, as long as each computer on the domain has the standardized logo named user.bmp located under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures all should be okay. 

FYI: The default user.bmp image is the sun flower.  Back this up and replace it with one of your choosing (128x128 pixels).  Bear in mind that since this folder is a protected, system folder, you may have to use the command prompt as Administrator or enable the local Administrator account, switch user, and do all modifications from there.

I will give this a test at work on my isolated network.

If I am understanding this correctly there isn't even anyway to set a logo for the logon screen account picture.  This might be something useful for the people designing windows 7 to take a look at to either allow a default picture for the logon screen or else have the ability to get rid of it all together.

• Изменено hdcons 27 января 2009 г. 3:05 added more stuff
    27 января 2009 г. 2:29
  • Well, that’s just it.  Regardless if a default picture is set via GPO, the picture frame at the login screen will still remain blank.  The picture only shows after the user has logged on with an interactive GUI.

I will do some more tests to see if there is a certain combination of policies that will either 1) make the picture frame go away, or 2) show something in the frame while the user is presented with the logon screen.

However, I am very confident that this will be a moot issue when the RTM drops and a Resource Kit is published.

27 января 2009 г. 3:02
  • This might be something that the designers of windows 7 should look into.  Either allow a default (logo) to be placed on the logon screen or else allow the picture frame to be deleted or else even remove this "feature" on versions that support domains--since there is no point to having it on the logon screen for versions that supports domains as darienhawk67 has shown.
    27 января 2009 г. 3:11
  • At the expense of security;

First enable Automatic logon by pressing running "control userpasswords2" no quotes from run in order to open the Netplwiz.exe wzard or just type in netplwiz.

Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox.  Enter your adminstrator password.

If you are the only ccount you need to change or create the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

create a double word value with the name of your account and give it the value of 0 which is for false

If you have more than one user you will have to enable auto logon for specific user