none
USB Mass storage device not accessible in Windows 7

Вопрос

• I have just bought a brand new 64bit hp probook laptop with Microsoft Windows 7 installed.

My Philips SPD5230CC 160GB Hi-Speed USB 2.5 inch External Hard Drive was inserted into 1 of 4 usb ports and I was able to read and write data to it - although I only edited one file just to prove to myself that all was well. However, a few days later I tried to use the Philips Ext HDD in the same manner and it could not be read in the sense that windows explorer usually recognises the HDD as 'Philips Drive' but now recognised it only as Local disk D: and stated it was unreadable, inaccessible, etc... 

Disk management now thinks it is a 149GB RAW file, that is active and a primary partition, whereas before it thought it was NTFS.

Device manager recognises it as a USB mass storage device, with an upto date driver and working properly.

I have read all the similar post and tried all the suggestions to no avail.

There are other strange anomalies like when I subsequently put the philips into an XP machine to virus check it, which worked fine and it was completely functioning via windows explorer too. Then the next day it would not be read by either the XP or the windows 7 machines or vista and has not been accessible since. Windows explorer say it is corrupt and unreadable and would i like to reformat it. I cant reformat it as it contains all the crucial data that I was transferring from my old laptop to the new one and the philips is the only copy. 

I am also coincidentally having issues with a small usb stick which still reads fine on XP but in the Windows 7 pc it thinks there is just a 2k 'BOOTEX' file when there is a whole folder structure and 100's of small files. Not sure if the 32 issues are related but it does sound too coincidental.

Please advise. Urgent, I need access to crucial data on the philips.

15 сентября 2011 г. 21:45

Ответы

• The user's guide suggests using the supplied Y-cable when the drive is not recognized as it may need more power.

Perhaps the "wrap around cable " is bad or the internal connection is loose.

As you know, these devices are just plug 'n use.

You may want to locate a data recovery company and then send the drive out for repair.

The MFT for the drive may have been damaged making it inaccessible and showing as raw.

Continued attempts may render the data completely lost.

It may be worth one last try and install the urDRive software from Philips. Then connect the drive. Perhaps that will allow the data to be accessible.

18 сентября 2011 г. 11:28

Все ответы

• External drives should be disconnected using the safely remove method from the icon in the low right of desktop in the notification area.

Hot unplugging can cause corruption.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=SPD5230CC%2F00&dct=FAQ&faqview=1&new_tmpl=1&refdisplay=HDD_QAC_62056&refnr=0062056&scy=NL&slg=ENG

I would recommend a professional data recovery service at this point. Any further connections or attempts could lose more data. 

• Изменено Nano Warp 16 сентября 2011 г. 1:21
    16 сентября 2011 г. 1:17
  • When I plug the philips into the usb port I dont get the safely remove icon. I do get a window prompt to reformat the d: drive but obviously I dont want to.

I find it hard to believe that something that was never an issue in XP is such a destructive thing in Windows 7. It does not explain why all my other usb sticks cant be read properly in windows 7 either (I dont get the safely remove icon then either).

There must be something else besides hot unplugging that causes this. Surely someone in windows 7 tech forum knows the answer!!!!

16 сентября 2011 г. 16:33
  • Perform a clean boot and connect the drive to rule out that a non-Microsoft application is causing the problem.

Clean boot process

You can easily return the sytem to a normal boot after testing.

Right-click the flag in the notification area of the desktop, select troubleshoot a problem. Try hardware and Sound and System and Security. Let the troubleshooter utility check the system. 

• Изменено Nano Warp 17 сентября 2011 г. 11:14
    17 сентября 2011 г. 11:12
  • tried all the above Nano

clean boot -  still cant access the HD in explorer or see it even

Troubleshooting detected nothing -  it is a brand new laptop.

Any other ideas?

Regards

17 сентября 2011 г. 19:11
  • The user's guide suggests using the supplied Y-cable when the drive is not recognized as it may need more power.

Perhaps the "wrap around cable " is bad or the internal connection is loose.

As you know, these devices are just plug 'n use.

You may want to locate a data recovery company and then send the drive out for repair.

The MFT for the drive may have been damaged making it inaccessible and showing as raw.

Continued attempts may render the data completely lost.

It may be worth one last try and install the urDRive software from Philips. Then connect the drive. Perhaps that will allow the data to be accessible.

18 сентября 2011 г. 11:28
  • I am posting my answer..even though it is an old thread..so it may help OTHERS with similar issue.

I spent four days on the Mickely Mouse..and yes I tested the drive on another windows 7 computer and TWO wondows XP computers.

I wasted money buying a faster connction...bah humbug. Finally I uploaded the drive using windows easy transfwer form one Windows7 to another...

but I still was not happy I could nto "see or access" the drive..so here IS the fix...for

"F:\ is not accessible. Access is denied".

FYI-Here is "a" solution IF it sees the drive but access is denied.

Many folks are having this problem with external hard drives.

go to start.

type in "user access control"

(select this as the option if  you get more than one choice),

there is a bar asking for you to be notified for system changes.

MOVE the BAR for user access control to ZERO...or whatever you are comfortable with.

AT zero,,,I was able to see my external drive. YES!!!!

Set the bar where you wish.

At medium I could not access anything..

I recommend you only keep the access control bar low, when needed.

Like when you want to access a special  drive, or make system changes.

I am not an expert...

so I can tell you the above worked for me...

so create a file to tell you how to change...keep UAC high except when you want to make changes..

Microsoft is a big draw for hackers...so keep your guard up.

Good luck.

Linda

• Изменено Woosil 1 июня 2012 г. 23:39
    1 июня 2012 г. 23:39