none
Disable thumbnail popups on Task Bar

Вопрос

• Hello everyone,

I am running Windows 8, 64-bit and want to know how I can disable the annoying thumbnail popups when I roll the mouse over an icon on the Task Bar. I can't find a setting for this.

Thanks, Jim T

23 января 2013 г. 16:23

Ответы

• Well, I finally gave up on all the registry fixes (none of which worked) you all have suggested, and others I found on line and downloaded TaskBar Tweaker. It did exactly what I wanted, disabled the popups when I hover over the task bar icons.

Thanks for your input,

JIm T

• Помечено в качестве ответа James Tibbetts 23 января 2013 г. 19:35
    23 января 2013 г. 19:35

Все ответы

• Hi James,

Do you mean to say, the old policy setting that worked in Windows 7 doesn't work anymore?

Disable and Turn Off Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 7 (Switch to List View)

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

23 января 2013 г. 16:34
  • Hello Exotic,

Apparently Win8 does not use Group Policy. When I type gpedit.msc in the Run box it says it can't find it. I did find solutions that tell you to edit the registry, but do I use DWORD 32 bit or QWORD 64 bit? Is changing the Registry the only way to accomplish this?

Jim T

23 января 2013 г. 17:05
  • You have to install it, I believe. I DO have gpedit.msc snap-in.

What do you get if you press WindowsKey to open Start screen then press WindowsKey+I to get the side bar, and choose Tiles.

On the Tiles bar enable Show administrative tools.

If you still don't see it, download the RSAT tools: Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8

It does contain the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC).

Also, what you do get if you press WindowsKey+W and type 'edit group' without quotes?

Oh, possibly it is only available on Windows 8 Professional and Windows 8 Enterprise and you are using Windows 8, correct?

23 января 2013 г. 17:07
  • I can't seem to find it in Administator Tools. Where is it located there?
    23 января 2013 г. 17:17
  • Seems a little silly to get anything less than Windows 8 Pro, but to each his own.

Most all group policy settings just change values in the registry, so yes, without the Group Policy tool you'll find it necessary to edit the registry directly.  You might be able to use a pre-prepared .reg file to edit it for you, but always be very wary of such things - open them up and examine them with an editor to ensure they only do what they are said to do.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

23 января 2013 г. 17:19
  • What if you do the following, I am quoting that article I have mentioned in my previous post:

Alternatively, it’s also possible to manually set or configure the registry key to disable Taskbar thumbnails function.

1. Click on Start button and type RegEdit in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
    2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Note: If Explorer registry sub-key does not exist, then right click on Policies and click New -> Key and name it as “Explorer”.

3. In the right pane, right click on a blank spacce, and then select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. Type TaskbarNoThumbnail as the name for the new registry value data.
    5. Double click on TaskbarNoThumbnail to modify its value data.
    6. Type 1 and click on OK.
    7. Logoff and logon again or restart computer if needed.
    8. To re-enable Taskbar thumbnails again, just right click on TaskbarNoThumbnail and click Delete to remove the whole registry key, or set TaskbarNoThumbnail value data to 0.

23 января 2013 г. 17:21
  • Yes, I am using plain old Windows 8. I did search and find gpedit.msc and ran it. I got the error message "MMC could not create the snap-in". So I guess I can't use Group Policy. So, if I HAVE to edit the registry, do I use DWORD 32 or QWORD 64?

Jim T

23 января 2013 г. 17:31
  • James,

Use double word, DWORD (32-bit) value, I don't think it's different for x64 platform.

23 января 2013 г. 17:34
  • Exotic - I modified the registry as you outlined above using DWORD 32. It didn't work. So I deleted the DWORD entry and created a QWORD 64 entry. It didn't work either. Now what?

Jim T

23 января 2013 г. 18:17
  • Well, I finally gave up on all the registry fixes (none of which worked) you all have suggested, and others I found on line and downloaded TaskBar Tweaker. It did exactly what I wanted, disabled the popups when I hover over the task bar icons.

Thanks for your input,

JIm T

• Помечено в качестве ответа James Tibbetts 23 января 2013 г. 19:35
    23 января 2013 г. 19:35
  • Glad to hear it solved.

23 января 2013 г. 19:37
  • If Taskbar Tweaker is anything like Taskbar Thumbnails Tuner, it works by changing registry values. See my post over here to do it manually: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/how-do-i-disable-the-taskbar-thumbnail-previews-in/c1f3262c-5fc9-4ced-a483-b50959a83a0f

Not sure how 64-bit affects it but I doubt it's that different.

• Предложено в качестве ответа DoopaDoop 10 сентября 2013 г. 9:03
    10 сентября 2013 г. 9:02
  • What if you do the following, I am quoting that article I have mentioned in my previous post:

Alternatively, it’s also possible to manually set or configure the registry key to disable Taskbar thumbnails function.

1. Click on Start button and type RegEdit in Instant Search text box, then hit Enter.
    2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Note: If Explorer registry sub-key does not exist, then right click on Policies and click New -> Key and name it as “Explorer”.

3. In the right pane, right click on a blank spacce, and then select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    4. Type TaskbarNoThumbnail as the name for the new registry value data.
    5. Double click on TaskbarNoThumbnail to modify its value data.
    6. Type 1 and click on OK.
    7. Logoff and logon again or restart computer if needed.
    8. To re-enable Taskbar thumbnails again, just right click on TaskbarNoThumbnail and click Delete to remove the whole registry key, or set TaskbarNoThumbnail value data to 0.

Yes it works :-)

Thanks ur great.

21 октября 2013 г. 5:05
  • This one worked for me. Changing thumbnail preview threshold before switching to listmode to zero

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/75804-taskbar-list-thumbnail-previews-mode-change.html

(I'm using windows 8.1 64 bit)

• Annoying task bar popups... THIS SOLVED MY ISSUE (TaskBar Tweaker).
    22 июля 2014 г. 4:41