none
How do i dual-boot?

Вопрос

• So windows 8 consumer preview finally landed and i really wanna check it out. 
    I downloaded it and its ready to go. 

But i don't wanna replace my OS or Upgrade it 
    This is a beta OS and theirs bound to be problems with it so i want the option to return to win7. 

I've never done a dual boot before.
    Can anyone explain how this works? 
    How do i install, How do i boot, How do i switch between them and how do uninstall it if i don't like it? 

Will i need a extra HDD? Would a external HDD work?

Please help 

Edit: I have over 500gb of content on my external tho. Would i be dangerous creating a partition on it for the preview?

• Изменено Austin S 2 марта 2012 г. 23:26
    2 марта 2012 г. 23:13

Ответы

• Hi,

I'll try and explain it as easily as possible:

• You cannot use an external HDD.
    • You also won't need another HDD, but if you have one then use that.
    • If you have one HDD then you will have to create another NTFS format partition for Windows 8. (I'm assuming you know how to do that)
    • Make sure to burn Windows 8 onto a DVD.
    • Insert the DVD and boot from it. Note: you may have to change a setting or two in the computer's BIOS to enable booting from the DVD.
    • Once you have booted from the DVD you will see the Windows 8 CP Setup screens: Language, Time/Currency format, Keyboard etc...
    • After all that: click on "Install Now". Setup will start, a License Agreement window should popup, if you agree to the terms, click Accept and in the next screen click on "Custom (Advanced)".
    • Select the new partition created for Windows 8 CP and click "Next".

Windows 8 CP installation will begin and may restart several times before finally completing, so ignore the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD....." message.

You can select which OS you would like to boot in everytime you restart your PC, you can also select which OS to set as the default OS to boot in.

Hope this helps.

Preveen

4 марта 2012 г. 18:50

Все ответы

• Austin

You cannot install it on your external disk. If you have plenty of space on your ‘main’ disk, you can create a partition there and install it.

The program that manages partition operations in Windows 7 is Disk Management. Right-click Computer, click Manage > Storage > Disk Management. Right-click the graphic of the main drive, choose Shrink and the amount of space to shrink it by then click Shrink. If possible allow a minimum of 75GB for the new partition. It can only decrease the partition size down to the first unmovable/locked system file. Running a defragmentation may move some of the ‘unmovable’ files, and, if you’re running System Restore or Hibernation, you could temporarily turn them off. If you still cannot shrink the partition sufficiently, you can disable the Pagefile. Don’t forget to turn these back on after shrinking the volume.

After shrinking, right-click on the new unallocated space, click on New Simple Volume, allocate disk space and give it a meaningful Volume Label, say, Windows 8CP, then run a format. Make a note of the drive letter just to make sure you use this partition when you install W8CP.

Presumably you have downloaded the ISO image, put a blank DVD in the drive, right-click on the downloaded .ISO file and choose Burn Image File.

Put the Windows DVD back in the drive and boot from it. You may have to change a BIOS setting to make the first boot device a DVD/CD drive. To do this, when you switch on look for a Setup message indicating which key to start tapping - F2 and Delete are commonly used. The message is not displayed for very long and it you miss it, you will have to restart the computer. In the BIOS, look for a section that contains the boot sequence, change it to DVD/CD, save it and let the computer reboot. Also, some preinstalled systems have another key (typically F12) that allows the user to open the boot menu rather than changing the BIOS boot sequence.

The install starts with a message asking you to ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and then it loads files, ‘Starting Windows’ message appears, you select the Language, Time/Currency, Keyboard. Click Install now, ‘Setup is starting’ message appears, click to accept the License and click Custom (advanced) for a clean install. Make sure the correct partition is highlighted before clicking Next.

Then the installation of Windows starts and may reboot several times, so ignore subsequent messages to Press any key to boot from DVD/CD.

Once the installation is complete, you will be able to choose which OS to boot from when you switch the computer on.

Phew, I’ve finished!

3 марта 2012 г. 9:12
  • Hi,

I'll try and explain it as easily as possible:

• You cannot use an external HDD.
    • You also won't need another HDD, but if you have one then use that.
    • If you have one HDD then you will have to create another NTFS format partition for Windows 8. (I'm assuming you know how to do that)
    • Make sure to burn Windows 8 onto a DVD.
    • Insert the DVD and boot from it. Note: you may have to change a setting or two in the computer's BIOS to enable booting from the DVD.
    • Once you have booted from the DVD you will see the Windows 8 CP Setup screens: Language, Time/Currency format, Keyboard etc...
    • After all that: click on "Install Now". Setup will start, a License Agreement window should popup, if you agree to the terms, click Accept and in the next screen click on "Custom (Advanced)".
    • Select the new partition created for Windows 8 CP and click "Next".

Windows 8 CP installation will begin and may restart several times before finally completing, so ignore the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD....." message.

You can select which OS you would like to boot in everytime you restart your PC, you can also select which OS to set as the default OS to boot in.

Hope this helps.

Preveen

4 марта 2012 г. 18:50
  • So windows 8 consumer preview finally landed and i really wanna check it out. 
    I downloaded it and its ready to go. 

But i don't wanna replace my OS or Upgrade it 
    This is a beta OS and theirs bound to be problems with it so i want the option to return to win7. 

I've never done a dual boot before.
    Can anyone explain how this works? 
    How do i install, How do i boot, How do i switch between them and how do uninstall it if i don't like it? 

Will i need a extra HDD? Would a external HDD work?

Please help 

Edit: I have over 500gb of content on my external tho. Would i be dangerous creating a partition on it for the preview?

Do you have an external eSATA drive or an external USB drive?

If you have an external eSATA drive, you can install Windows 8 on it, but I don't know how that would affect your Windows 7 installation as far as dual booting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

4 марта 2012 г. 19:00
  • Thanks for the help guys, I just have one last question. 

After installing this can i access any of my content from win7? 
    Basically if i'm booted in Win8 but all my music and pictures are on my Win7 Partition Can i still view and listen to them?

• Изменено Austin S 4 марта 2012 г. 22:11
    4 марта 2012 г. 22:10
  • Thanks for the help guys, I just have one last question. 

After installing this can i access any of my content from win7? 
    Basically if i'm booted in Win8 but all my music and pictures are on my Win7 Partition Can i still view and listen to them?

In W8CP, use the same User Name and Password as you have on W7 and you will have no issues accessing your files.
    5 марта 2012 г. 8:42