none
Automatic Sleep not working - Windows 7 32 bit

คำถาม

• I am running windows 7 32 bit and I have a problem with sleep. The computer won't automatically go to sleep. The monitor will turn off but the system stays on. I can manually sleep the computer fine. It will stay sleeping until I wake it. However when I set the timer in the power options to sleep after 20 minutes it never goes to sleep on its own.

Any suggestions?
    • ย้ายโดย Carey FrischMVP, Moderator 19 พฤศจิกายน 2552 2:57 Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    19 พฤศจิกายน 2552 2:19

คำตอบ

• Hi Ldroamer,

This time, I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check the issue.

I also would like to suggest you temporarily uninstall the antivirus program to check the issue.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

System Information

========================

1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Event Log

========================

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click “Save”.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    24 พฤศจิกายน 2552 6:06
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hi Ldroamer,

Is there any update for this issue?

I also find a hotfix may be helpful for you.

You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    3 ธันวาคม 2552 2:26
    ผู้ดูแล

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Just folow this instructions http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-will-not-sleep/ 

Again problem ,please let us know.

Thanks
    Renjith
    19 พฤศจิกายน 2552 11:15
  • Hi Ldroamer,

The link Renjith provided is detailed.

In addition, I also would like to suggest you update the BIOS.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    20 พฤศจิกายน 2552 5:45
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Thanks. Bios is at the latest the HP has on their web site. So far no joy in getting the computer to sleep. It seems that the monitor and hard drives are going to sleep but the system unit stays on. Its perplexing because if I manually sleep it then it goes to sleep and stays asleep. But it won't do it on its own.

Got more work to do I guess.

22 พฤศจิกายน 2552 1:00
  • Hi Ldroamer,

This time, I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check the issue.

I also would like to suggest you temporarily uninstall the antivirus program to check the issue.

What’s the result?

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing? You may check how to use SkyDrive for more information.

System Information

========================

1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Event Log

========================

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click “Save”.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    24 พฤศจิกายน 2552 6:06
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Haven't had time to try your suggestions yet but I may have stumbled on a clue. I think the problem happens when mcupdate runs. If mcupdate wakes the computer then it will not sleep after that. If I reboot or even just logoff and on after mcupdate runs then it will sleep normally until the next time mcupdate runs.

Having said that its still pretty early to say if this is the issue or not. I am going to have to watch the behavior of the computer over the next few days but it is looking right now like mcupdate may be causing this issue.
    26 พฤศจิกายน 2552 1:55
  • Hi Ldroamer,

The possible cause you found reminds me to check the following setting:

"Power Options" -> "Change plan settings" -> "Change advanced power settings" -> "Multimedia settings" -> "When sharing media" -> "Allow the computer to sleep".

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    26 พฤศจิกายน 2552 3:31
    ผู้ดูแล
  • I am running windows 7 32 bit and I have a problem with sleep. The computer won't automatically go to sleep. The monitor will turn off but the system stays on. I can manually sleep the computer fine. It will stay sleeping until I wake it. However when I set the timer in the power options to sleep after 20 minutes it never goes to sleep on its own.

Any suggestions?

Hi,
    ::) In missing of a sleeping pill, I suggest you check the network adapter device properties and uncheck the box with "allow a magic packet to wake up this device" especially if you are using a network cable and not an wifi.
    26 พฤศจิกายน 2552 15:47
  • Thanks but that box was already unchecked. Powercfg confirms that the network adapter is not set to wake up the computer.

27 พฤศจิกายน 2552 22:10
  • Hi Ldroamer,

What about the other troubleshooting suggestions, such as Clean Boot and so on?

Arthur Li - MSFT
    30 พฤศจิกายน 2552 7:29
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hi Ldroamer,

Is there any update for this issue?

I also find a hotfix may be helpful for you.

You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977307

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    3 ธันวาคม 2552 2:26
    ผู้ดูแล
  • powercfg /requests is your friend.

Check out my "Tales of PC Insomnia" posting at http://blogs.technet.com/markaggar/archive/2009/10/21/tales-of-pc-insomnia.aspx for details on causes of PC insomnia and how to use this tool.

-Mark
    4 ธันวาคม 2552 22:56
  • Haven't been able to solve my sleep issues yet but I have been too busy to deal with it. It appears that there are other issues with sleep on this computer. They are these:

As stated I can manually put the computer to sleep using the sleep button. It sleeps fine and stays asleep until I wake it or a scheduled event wakes it. However occasionally when it wakes up there is a black screen.  At that point all I can do is turn off the power and reboot - or if I wait long enough the computer will crash and upon reboot you get the message "your computer shut down unexpectedly do you want windows to look for solutions";

The other issue is that if I leave the computer although it doesn't sleep it will shut down the monitor and I think the hard drives. A tap on the keyboard or a move of the mouse will turn the monitor back on most times. But occasionally the monitor will not turn on at all. The only fix for that is to hold the power button until the machine shuts off and then reboot.

In the next few days I will go back over this thread and re-try everything to see if I can solve this.
    9 ธันวาคม 2552 18:07
  • Haven't been able to solve my sleep issues yet but I have been too busy to deal with it. It appears that there are other issues with sleep on this computer. They are these:

As stated I can manually put the computer to sleep using the sleep button. It sleeps fine and stays asleep until I wake it or a scheduled event wakes it. However occasionally when it wakes up there is a black screen.  At that point all I can do is turn off the power and reboot - or if I wait long enough the computer will crash and upon reboot you get the message "your computer shut down unexpectedly do you want windows to look for solutions";

The other issue is that if I leave the computer although it doesn't sleep it will shut down the monitor and I think the hard drives. A tap on the keyboard or a move of the mouse will turn the monitor back on most times. But occasionally the monitor will not turn on at all. The only fix for that is to hold the power button until the machine shuts off and then reboot.

In the next few days I will go back over this thread and re-try everything to see if I can solve this.

Hi,
    That would be a powercfg issue:), check and see the way hdd is set,it just simply could be set to turn off after 1 hour.
    Regards 
    9 ธันวาคม 2552 19:52
  • powercfg /requests is your friend.

Check out my "Tales of PC Insomnia" posting at http://blogs.technet.com/markaggar/archive/2009/10/21/tales-of-pc-insomnia.aspx  for details on causes of PC insomnia and how to use this tool.

-Mark

I tried the powercfg /requests and got this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    None.

AWAYMODE:
    None.

C:\Windows\system32>

Doesn't seem to help identify the problem unless I am missing something.
    10 ธันวาคม 2552 1:39

Hi,
    That would be a powercfg issue:), check and see the way hdd is set,it just simply could be set to turn off after 1 hour.
    Regards 

The hard drive is set to power down but I don't understand why that would hand hang the system or prevent the monitor from coming back on? Shouldn't the hard drive just power up when I wake it?

10 ธันวาคม 2552 1:42
  • Hi,
    Regards 

The hard drive is set to power down but I don't understand why that would hand hang the system or prevent the monitor from coming back on? Shouldn't the hard drive just power up when I wake it?

Could do so if there would be a check box in device management->hdd to allow the computer to turn on the device.You might try to take owner ship in security tab (auth. users-full control).
    Regards
    10 ธันวาคม 2552 3:56
  • Try powercfg /energy and see if that gives you any related errrors.  To help with diagnostics, set the system sleep timeout to 1 minute and see if it sleeps then.   My guess is that is is the keyboard or mouse driver that is fooling the system into thinking someone is interacting with the system.

18 ธันวาคม 2552 20:21
  • Are you running an ASUS motherboard or Atheros/Attansic NIC?  I've had similar problems with these in the past. (not going into or resuming from sleep).

18 ธันวาคม 2552 20:22
  • Its an asus motherboard in this pc. It worked fine with Vista  but now with windows 7 there are problems.
    25 ธันวาคม 2552 14:47
  • I had the same problem which started a few months ago, and had been driving me nuts.  Previously, the power options, including sleep function, worked perfectly.  Note that my Wake on Demand options were active because I do automatic backups and other maintenance at night.  That was not the problem.  The problem, now fixed, was that there had been an error in my printing to the Adobe PDF printer and several documents were in that print queue.  After cancelling the documents, the sleep functions works as it should. 
    11 เมษายน 2553 18:24
  • I am having the same issue as Ldroamer...so I am following this thread too.....I will have to check the Adobe Queue also. I do have intermittent issues w/Adobe PDF printing.

I had the sleep mode working w/Win 7 up untill a couple of weeks ago. I updated my Dell XPS-730 Graphics Card to a GTX-470 and have suspected this as the likely culprit, but, I am not 100% certain as it worked for a while with it installed.

I will have to remember any and all configuration changes I may have done in the past couple of weeks. Could be a number of things as I was uninstalling and reinstalling software.. One issue could be the HDMI sound to the monitor throught the Graphics Card....still have not resolved this issue either.

26 พฤษภาคม 2553 15:56
  • Figured it out......Sound Card would not release Creative Labs, Uninstalled reinstalled fixed....found utilizing powercfg -requests at command prompt....such a handy tool......
    26 พฤษภาคม 2553 20:45
  • i STARTED HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ON 2 MACHINES, ONE IS A 32 BIT MACHINE AND THE OTHER IS A 64 BIT MACHINE. tHE PROBLEMS BOTH SATARTED ABOUT 12 DAYS AGO, JUST AFTER THE MS AUTOMATIC UPDATE. NOW THE 32 BIT MACHINE WON'T POWER OFF THE MONITOR, EVEN IF I PUT IT MANUALLY INTO SLEEP MODE. IT WORKED FINE BEFORE.

THE 64 BIT MACHINE WILL OCCASIONALY PWER OFF THE MONITOR, THEN GO INTO SLEEP MODE, BUT WON'T RESUME, SO I HAVE TO REBOOT.

WAS THERE ANYTHING IN THE MS UPDATE OF TWO WEEKS AGO THAT WOULD CAUSE THESE PROBLEMS?

5 กันยายน 2553 19:21
  • Thanks! I checked and my Brother printer had 3 documents in the queue.

I tried everything in this article and the print queue was the fix for me.

9 กันยายน 2553 14:04
  • Hi Ldroamer,

The possible cause you found reminds me to check the following setting:

"Power Options" -> "Change plan settings" -> "Change advanced power settings" -> "Multimedia settings" -> "When sharing media" -> "Allow the computer to sleep".

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT

I just looked and you cannot set this via group policy?  What an obvious oversight from Microsoft.

29 ธันวาคม 2553 18:25