none
Windows with portable mode function

การสนทนาทั่วไป

• Maybe windows could have a portable mode function or a portable guest account meaning that when you turn it on, you have to plug in your portable ext harddrive and windows would then act as if c drive don't exists and treat the portable like system drive.

Now when you try to update your browser, it will update somewhere on c drive, that you have to find and move to portable, and sometimes updates won't install, because they require admin rights, which shouldn't be nessecary for a portable installation.

Many games also save data to c drive, so before and after play you have to move them to portable drive.

4 มิถุนายน 2555 6:41

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Now Windows 8 has the function called “Windows To Go” which can install Windows 8 on a USB device. The user could use the USB device to boot their system.

More detail, you can refer:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6991.windows-to-go-step-by-step.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831833.aspx

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

5 มิถุนายน 2555 2:34
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Public computers usually don't allow an external boot, that grants you access to fx windows password files on C drive and allow altering those directories.

The developers probably don't realize the portable issues. Like when they developed "Outlook Express" that could only operate from the computer it was installed on. And then they bought Hotmail, because that was much more useful.

But I think they would understand it, if they took their own personal computer at home, copied all documents and user programs to a portable device (a USB drive with 8 GB - 2 TB) and then made their computer inaccessible (throw it out) and managed with that a couple of months. So they would have to connect their portable device to family members or library or office computers, that do not provide admin rights and may be in a second language and may not always display your portable device with the same drive letter.

Do that and one of the first things they will probably also do thereafter is to install PortableApps.com to their portable device to make its use a whole lot easier to themselves ...

• แก้ไขโดย Hobby Developer 18 มิถุนายน 2555 12:05
    17 มิถุนายน 2555 10:59
  • I don't know whether Internet Explorer exists in a portable edition, but with firefox I can set my portable device to autolaunch it on insertion, and when the browser opens it can reopen the exact same pages as last - email and other often used sites; very useful.

Another example is SMPlayer which for simple reasons are 10 times better than WMP:
    - It connects to an online database, where you can download/upload subtitles to any kind of file (music, movie, homemade) in several languages
    - You do not need equalizer to adjust sound that in some plays might be too low, because it has a filter (normalize volume)
    - When you open the application, it remembers your last played files, plus settings and opens where last finished.

17 มิถุนายน 2555 11:32
  • Public computers usually don't allow an external boot, that grants you access to fx windows password files on C drive and allow altering those directories.

The developers probably don't realize the portable issues. Like when they developed "Outlook Express" that could only operate from the computer it was installed on. And then they bought Hotmail, because that was much more useful.

But I think they would understand it, if they took their own personal computer at home, copied all documents and user programs to a portable device (a USB drive with 8 GB - 2 TB) and then made their computer inaccessible (throw it out) and managed with that a couple of months. So they would have to connect their portable device to family members or library or office computers, that do not provide admin rights and may be in a second language and may not always display your portable device with the same drive letter.

Do that and one of the first things they will probably also do thereafter is to install PortableApps.com to their portable device to make its use a whole lot easier to themselves ...

I am absolutely d'accord with you!!!

I have just started to tinker with a simple concept of a portable Windows environment.

Koma-Mail, PaleMoon, SumatraPDF, BlueGriffon, FileZilla, ..; maybe DriveLetterView to have a consistent drive letter; Coffee for using portable apps as default programs.

I'm extremely curious: Have you found a practicable private solution that approximates your vision?

Regards,

Butch

26 กุมภาพันธ์ 2557 21:45