none
Updating Driver "Access Denied"

คำถาม

•  

Hi,

I just got a brand new 22inch HP LCD w2207..and I was very excited to set it up. After I "installed" the new drivers for the monitor, I noticed that Vista refused to use them. The USB ports on the monitor were not working and the colors were clearly not there, i know this is a driver issue..because in the driver details I can still see it using a generic driver.

So. I turned UAC off...just in case and went to device manager ..right clicked on my monitor driver and did Update Driver. When it starts updating it just tells me that "Access is denied". I've tried pretty much tried everything including Microsofts "hotfix" and I am not about to re-install Vista and spend 5 hours for a 1 minute update of my monitor. This is just unacceptable and I am really starting to get annoyed with this.

How come there is no documentation? Nothing, to help us out.

What else can I do, I would like to be able to enjoy my 300$ purchase.

30 พฤศจิกายน 2550 5:13

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hello,

Thanks for posting!

The problem you described is a little complex. Therefore, please try some steps to troubleshoot this issue and narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Update the drivers of motherboard and video card.

2.    Visit HP support website to download the latest driver of LCD W2207. For your convenience, I performed a search and share the link with you.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3363837

3.    Try to double-click to install the .EXE-based driver you downloaded.

If the problem still persists, the problem may be caused by the driver not well recognized or conflict with radio card driver installed, please try steps below:

Note:

a. The method listed below is a possible solution. I list it for your reference;

b. Prepare the drivers of video card and monitor, the following steps need reinstallation of them.

1.    In Device Manager, uninstall the generic PnP monitor and display adapter;

2.    Install the driver downloaded, if fails, remember the location of driver extracted (HP_w2207.cat; HP_w2207.ICC; HP_ww2207.inf);

3.    a. Enter Personalization, then click Display Settings, then Advanced settings.

b. In Adapter tab, click properties, then select Driver tab, choose
    Update Drivers

c. Browse the driver software on my computer.

d. Manually input the location of extracted driver in Step 2. Or, click Browse… to locate it.

e. Follow the wizard to finish the installation.

4.    Reinstall driver of video card.

If the problem still persists or I misunderstood anything. Please let me know more details about this issue, I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

3 ธันวาคม 2550 7:27
  • Yup, recently it happened to me too, with the same monitor.

Working perfectly well... then I installed COD4... on safemode it tried to use 640x480, which for some reason the monitor said it didn't have... although Windows think it has (and the monitor actually can do VGA...) but if anything try to do 640x480... blank screen... great... that's when I noticed Vista just using monitor.sys driver of MS and not HP's (even after downloading the 1.00A driver, etc.... or the SP pack of HP) Still access denied... now my Monitor lies in the Other Hardware section of Device manager and can't update the drivers for it.

Now, Windows Update wants to install a hot fix, but can't... error.

I check Registry and I'm the administrator and can't manually remove those Display entries there for the monitor. 

I've been pretty much happy with Vista... till this problem.
    6 ธันวาคม 2550 16:24
  • Hello,

This issue is caused by the monitor driver update fails to access following
    files.

C:\Windows\inf\infpub.dat
    C:\Windows\inf\infstor.dat
    C:\Windows\inf\infstrng.dat
    C:\Windows\inf\drvindex.dat
    C:\Windows\inf\INFCACHE.1

Please follow these steps to set the permission of these files.

1. Negative to C:\Windows\inf\
    2. Right click infpub.dat and choose properties.
    3. Select Security tab, click Edit.
    4. Click the current User Account name, check Full Control checkbox as Allow.

Note : If the current User Account name is not listed, please click “Add”,
    following the “Enter the object name to select” title, type in the current
    User Account name and then click Ok.

5. Click Apply, click OK.

Please repeat the above steps with infstor.dat, infstrng.dat, drvindex.dat
    and INFCACHE.1.

After that trying to install the driver once again.

Thomas

9 ธันวาคม 2550 4:47
  • Hi Bravo and Tomas,

Thanks for your posts!

Bravo, please try the steps provided by Tomas and share the result with us.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tomas, that’s very appreciated!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

10 ธันวาคม 2550 3:23
  •  

Didn't work.

Actually I reinstalled ontop of the already installed VISTA and that got my monitor back....with the 2.00 drivers from Windows Update.  But I reinstalled the HP myDisplay software.. and now it's back, the problem is back... my monitor is being identified as a Legacy device... and true enough the drivers are gone again.  I tried to change the drivers... Access denied.  I changed those in the INF folder to say my user has full control... rechecked.  OK... try updating driver... nothing... I look back, the same user access I put on those files are wiped clean... DAMN... redo it... NO go, and the access I give my user id keeps getting wiped off...

I'd like to know too why 640x480 isn't anymore available and blanks out my monitor as well (even Powerstrip can't figure it out, my monitor should have it even on the HDMI port...)  anyway, that's probably another sort of problem.

11 ธันวาคม 2550 16:19
  •  

Enabled the Administrator account... still there, the problem of Access Denied.  I'm pretty sure The Registry is borked.  I check out  HKLM > System > CurrentControlSet > Enum  > DISPLAY > HWP26A9 and can't remove it at all.. things under it, like MODES isn't even readable anymore... pop up of Error is preventing it to be opened ....
    11 ธันวาคม 2550 16:44
  • I have the same problem also - just purchased new HP base unit a6150 with HP w2207h monitor.  Running currently with 'generic PnP monitor' driver.  Any attempt to install the official w2207 driver from HP site, supplied disc, windows update returns an error code 80070005 - access denied.  Spent hours scouring the net looking for a resolution to no avail.  Happy to supply any further details to someone more technical savy than myself to resolve the problem.  Thought of reinstalling from scratch is too painful given the hours I've spent transferring everything across from my old XP Pc / reinstalling old programs etc. !!!    

12 ธันวาคม 2550 0:20
  • Hi,

I understand the the update still cannot be installed after taking the full control of those INF files.

Then, I recommend we install HP w2207 LCD Monitor Driver by the installation files. Please download it from the following link, then trying to install.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=vc-47745-1&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3363837&os=2093

Please try the step and let me know the result. Thanks.

Thomas

12 ธันวาคม 2550 0:51
  • That is exactly where I got my drivers plus the HP MyDisplay Install program and w2207 monitor drivers.

When I re-installed VISTA into itself... (retaining installed programs/drivers) it resolved my issue.  It actually updated to the 2.00 version of the drivers found only from Windows Update, not from HP's site.  Coz I tried to update the drivers from the sp34257.exe  64-bit folder it said the 1.00A drivers are older and I have the newer version (that's expected).

But I tried to install the v1.30 HP My Display software, the problem returns... and not even doing the above (INF folder) fixes it.  Now the security settings I put into those files always gets removed somehow... admin or not. (but the only profile I have on my PC are admins)

If I uninstall and even remove the the monitor from the Device Configuration Manager, It'll probably go back again to the Other devices, and I can't again install it until I either re-install VISTA on top of it, or re-install cleanly (pain...)

If I recall even with UAC turned off, I get Access Denied.
    12 ธันวาคม 2550 4:09
  • Got the following response from HP support today ... did as requested but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem ... still access denied when installing the w2207 driver ... will update this post if I get a resolution ... when I set the access on the .inf files it resets itself back to read only too.  

Hello Tony,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

In reviewing your message, I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your HP w2207 22 inch LCD Monitor while installing the drivers and get the following error message "Access Denied".

I will certainly assist you in this regard.

This issue might occur if the HP Display software is not installed or registry entries related to it are corrupted. To resolve this issue with the issue message about the monitor drivers, I recommend you to follow the steps furnished below:

Step 1:

I recommend you to download and install the HP My Display for your HP w2207 22 inch LCD Monitor in your Desktop PC.

=== HP My Display ===
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36365.exe

=== Installing Instructions ===

* After visiting the URL, save the file on to the hard drive by
      specifying a path.
    * Double-click the downloaded file and follow onscreen instructions to
      install.
    * Restart the computer.

If My Display Software does not bring the driver back, follow Step 2.

Step 2: To clear off the registry

1. Click Start
    2. Go to All Programs
    3. Click HP My Display
    4. This will open Display Diagnostic Utility. In the Display Diagnostic Utility click on "Clear Registry".

A Clean Reg Window would open, Click on "Yes". On restart you will have "Other Devices" with "Generic Monitor" List under that same. Continue the process of "Clean Registry" until you get "Other Devices" with "Generic Monitor" listed under that same.

Step 3: Install Monitor Drives by doing "Drive Update Software..."and directing it to the system32 folder or install monitor drivers from the CD.

This should resolve the issue with the Monitor drivers error message on your HP w2207 22 inch LCD Monitor. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site
    at: http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Alina
    HP Total Care

12 ธันวาคม 2550 23:45
  • if I "Clear Registry" . . . it doesn't change the monitor driver under Device Manager.  But somehow MyDisplay software now "thinks" it's a HP display already, not a generic PnP device... but still having the Access Denied problem, Entech's PowerStrip still think it's a Generic PnP monitor... but Nvidia's drivers knows it's an w2207h.

Any other thoughts?

13 ธันวาคม 2550 20:47
  • Ok, nowadays (since enabling the Admin account) I seem to be able now to update the driver.  Well, I think I could, but I never see Device/Config Manager using any other driver than that Monitor.sys generic one.  And sometime in COD4, I could make the system forget it was using a w2207h and revert to just saying "HDMI Monitor" instead... (plus having no HD resolution to boot.

Any ideas?
    15 ธันวาคม 2550 17:29
  • After unsuccessfully trying numerous fixes, I received these from HP Tech Support.  Scenario 1 worked for me.  Good luck.

Scenario 1: Customer is trying to install Monitor drivers after installing HP My Display Software.

A.       Show hidden files and folders.

1.       Click perl button and click Control panel.

2.       In control panel window, select classic view link on the left pane. You will now notice icons in control panel.

3.       Double click to open Folder options.

4.       In folder options box, click view tab on the top.

5.       Here, click “show hidden files and folders” radio button.

6.       Apply and Ok.

B.       Uninstall HP My Display Software.

1.       Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.

2.       Delete 64 bit folder and HPx64DRV.exe files.

3.       Click Perl button, click programs, expand HP My Display and click Uninstall HP My Display

4.           Follow the wizard and complete uninstalling the software.

5. Restart the Computer after the uninstallation is complete.

6. Now try to install the Monitor Drivers.

SCENARIO 2: Customer is trying to install Monitor driver before installing the HP My Display software and receives an Access denied message.

Possible Steps:

A.       Uninstall HP My Display Software.

1.       Navigate to C:\Swsetup\Monitors

2.       Delete SP34257 folder.

B.       Steps to edit Registry.

3.       Click Perl button and type regedit in index search. Open Registry editor.

4.       Click File on the menu bar and select export.

5.       Type regbackup and save the file on desktop.

6.       Click + sign beside HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

7.       Click + sign beside Local Settings

8.       Click + sign beside software

9.       Click + sign beside Microsoft

10.     Click + sign beside Windows

11.     Click + sign beside Shell

12.     Click to select MuiCache

13.     On the right pane, select and right click a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257 and click delete.

14.     Click + sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

15.     Click + sign beside Software.

16.     Click + sign beside Microsoft.

17.     Click + sign beside Windows NT

18.     Click + sign beside CurrentVersion.

19.     Click + sign beside AppCompatFlags.

20.     Click + sign beside Compatibility Assistant.

21.     Select Persisted key.

22.     On the right side, right click and delete a key starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257.

23.     In Step 18, click to select Setup.

24.     Delete Installation source key if data value is  C:\Swsetup\Monitors\SP34257\32 bit.

25.     Expand HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-677776630-1797091298-2012403022-1008\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted

26.     On the right side, delete all the keys starting with C:\Swsetup\Monitors

27.     Close Registry Window.

28.     Reinstall the Monitor driver.

6 มกราคม 2551 12:03
  •  Usky wrote:

Hello,

files.

1. Negative to C:\Windows\inf\
    2. Right click infpub.dat and choose properties.

Please repeat the above steps with infstor.dat, infstrng.dat, drvindex.dat
    and INFCACHE.1.

Thomas

I don't believe this can be successfully accomplished using the Home Premium Version of Vista. One can make the changes described but they don't persist. The permissions are reset somehow before or during yet another failed driver installation attempt.

I was wondering if it would be safe to temporarily change the file permissions and simply delete all of the aforementioned files. I did delete the INFCACHE.1 file but I am reluctant to delete the other files for fear of an ensuing catastrophe.

Perhaps one has to have Administrator privileges in order to permanently change the permissions of these files. But then that gets into the confusing topic of what constitutes an actual administrator in Vista.

10 มกราคม 2551 15:48
  • I have the same problem with my newly purchased  hp pavillion a6110me with hp w1907v. the monitor comes with a installation cd but it fails to install the driver for the monitor. Now, im communicating with an Hp customer service rep thru email and shes helping me how to resolve the issue. The procedure she gave are the same as the ones posted here (like the regedit modifications) but unfortunately the problem persists. Access denied for driver installaion is still there. One thing good about vista is that it recognize the monitor and did not treat it as generic monitor. It just shows a question mark on the Device Manager next to Other Devices and Hp w1907 LCD Monitor. Is there anyone in this world can help me solve this driver installation problem?

10 มกราคม 2551 20:45
  • You can get around the "access denied" problem by deleting the driver file in C:\Swsetup\Monitors. However, that won't really get you anywhere, because then you will encounter an error when you next try to install the driver. I have the Home Premium Edition of Vista and I do not believe there is any solution to this problem with this version of Vista (perhaps other versions also). I don't think people have made a big deal out of it because it doesn't seem to alter the functionality of the monitor when you use the HP MyDisplay application.

It is annoying that HP has not been able to come up with a definite fix for this problem. I spent hours with customer service over 6 months ago on the exact same issue and they still don't have a clue.

11 มกราคม 2551 15:15
  • Just got the w2207 monitor and none of the fixes above for "Access Denied" when tyring to install hp drivers work. The monitor seemingly works fine, pivots ok, plays DVDs ok, so my question is:  Does it really matter?  What problems will arise in the future? 

I realize the system is (apparently) using Windows drivers instead of HP, yet in Device Manager it says that the monitor is working properly and it did install HP's  Display Software (Which includes driver?).  I'd appreciate an answer fairly soon since the clock is ticking in terms of exhanging this monitor for another one.  Thanks. 

13 มกราคม 2551 17:21
  •  

Just wanted to chime in that I have identical issues with HP w2408h that comes bundled with HP Pavillion Elite as HP M9177c-b package at Costco.

When I look at the device manager, all devices seem to be functional; but every time I restart my computer I get this annoying new hardware found message identifying the monitor as the new hardware. I could disable the message but it just bothers me that I am unable to get a decent install of hardware that comes from the same vendor...

Sucky experience at best...

11 กุมภาพันธ์ 2551 21:34
  •  

Hi Just got the same w2207h monitor. I installed My display & the when trying to install the driver with the cd, I get the message  "access denied". So I called Hp support, he recommend me to go on your site & read those solutions. I did not want to start playing in the registry or something else. Hp support call me back & ask me if I did one of those solutions and I said No, why trinit it when all the response are negative....Logic .....

Finally, the Hp support ask me to delete the monitor driver, then "monitor" disappear from the device manager and appear under "other devices" with a question mark.

I skip you all the conversations with the support, finally we found the solution: delete the monitor's driver in the other devices, delete the driver for the graphic card and then restart the computer. The PC reinstalled by itself the driver for the monitor at the right place in "monitor" , resintall the driver for the graphic card without the CD. 

The problem is that on the CD you have the installation for my display and the installation for the monitor driver. What we think is that the monitor driver is already included in my Display so already installed or included in Windows. When we try to do the second installation, the driver already installed do not permit writing because he is already in operation so protect us to overwrite it with the message "access denied". The problem is that HP do not give & have this information about that. I am curious to see if we don't install my display & go directly to install the driver if we will have the same message. Anyway, I won't try it now everything is back to normal, monitor works properly & I am very satisfied with it.

The KISS method: Keep It Simple Stupid.

We are not used of not installing the driver. This is to easy & try to complicate our lives. Hope that this will hepl you relaxing! and sorry for my English........

15 กุมภาพันธ์ 2551 12:40
  • Greetings - glad I stumbled over this forum as the problem was driving me nuts!

My monitor is a HP w2408h on Vista Ultimate with 8800GT graphics.

Having loaded the monitor driver I then attempted to load My Display from the provided CD only to be told this version (1.2)  is not compatible with my monitor. What the devil? Poor show HP!

Went off to the software page and downloaded version 1.32, and when I ran it immediately came across the dreaded "access denied".

What worked for me:

Uninstall 'My Display' software.

Then uninstall the monitor and graphics card through Contol Panel, Hardware, device Manager.

Then following Usky's directions to set file permissions:

Navigate to each of these files in turn, right click on, choose properties, choose security tab, and give yourself full control over each file, making sure you select the right user name to do this. 

Once done, I rebooted to a horrid VGA diaplay. Ran latest NVIDIA driver package.

The monitor driver was still on the system as it was correctly recognised as HP2408.

The I Installed the latest (1.32) My Display and it works. Why don't HP supply the version that works with the monitor in the first place? Rassnfassn grrr!

I should say that you will have to download the latest version (1.32 as mentioned above) from

http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/upgrade.html

All the best to my fellow sufferers for a speedy fix!

Piotr

20 กุมภาพันธ์ 2551 15:13
  • i just bought thwe w2207h and it IS giving me some problems. i tried to reinstall the driver in 'safe mode', and was informed that the driver was already installed...but i still get the pop up question, every time i sit at the computer, and everytime i get the access denied message.

my monitor goes black 1-2 times, every time it comes out of sleep, once to auto adjust, which should be performed immediately at start up, and once for....who knows what. also i seem to have wide varieties of display quality. video is great, even with VGA ( long story that i'm not happy about), but basic things look totally generic, as in safe mode. no enhancement, like a 6 yr old did it. i was going to say 'high school kid' but they know more about computers than i do...

imho, this is a real problem, HP hasn't replied to my requests, microsoft can't help. i'm glad i found this forum, so at least i know this is a wide spread issue and not mine alone. but HP needs to deal with this, it's unacceptabnle that it happened in the first place, and even less acceptable that nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

a simple reply would make mr feel much better, but my perfomance issues need to be resolved, or we're going to have a problem.

DMB

24 กุมภาพันธ์ 2551 7:39
  • I also had this problem with the hpw1907 monitor driver and eventually was told I didn't need

to install from the cd, it was already pre installed by microsoft.

Now I am getting windows update notice, which continually fails.

HP - Other Hardware - HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor

Installation date: ‎03/‎13/‎08 10:32 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070005

Update type: Recommended

HP Other Hardware sofware update released in November, 2006

More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20021961

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Since I don't seem to need this update, is there a way to stop from being notified of this or to delete

this update.

Thanks

14 มีนาคม 2551 22:43
  • We have the same problem on one of our two computers.  It's extremely annoying because it tries to do this recommended update up to 4 times a day and has failed every time.  This has been going on for 6 months.

How can we stop the update from continually being Recommended and trying to Install???

Thanks,

12 เมษายน 2551 20:36
  • I purchased my Pavilion m8430f and a HP w2408h Monitor about a week ago. The PC came with a NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT graphics card and Windows Vista 64 bit. I first loaded the “My Display” software from the CD that came with the monitor, and it loaded and worked correctly. However, like many other users, I received the “Access Denied” message when I attempted to load the monitor driver. I tried several different things from instructions received from HP online support.

Before I made my first call to HP Tech Support, my Device Manager had monitor listed as a device, with the hp w2408h listed as the driver. HP Support, had me uninstall “My Display”, and then try and install the monitor driver again…still didn’t work. Tech asked me how the monitor was working, I answered great as far as I could tell…and it was. When I asked why Vista kept asking me to load a driver if everything is fine, Tech told me to select “do not ask about this device again the next time I was asked. After doing this, I no longer have a Device labeled as “monitor” in my device manager, and the w2408h that was associated with monitor is now associated with “other devices”. Also, after reinstalling “My Display”, I can’t access all the tabs; the only ones are “Options” and “help”, and in Options all I get is the preferences to enable shortcut to desktop, enable task tray menu, and set the transparency. This has become very frustrating, both the monitor driver issue, and with “My Display” software.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, on at least how to get “My Display” to work properly, and how to get the device labeled monitor back into my Device Manager.

Thanks

26 เมษายน 2551 20:34
  • i have a hp pavillion and hp w2408h monitor with same issue/s as charlow.  any help would be great.  cheers.

27 เมษายน 2551 12:26
  • Thank you very much, Lionel.  I ran three searches on HP's site trying to find this driver before giving up and going to Google, where I found this thread, and the link to HP's download that you dug out and posted.  Worked like a champ!
    4 พฤษภาคม 2551 1:17
  • I am also trying to update software and drivers for HP w2207h monitor.  It will not allow me saying "access denied."  This error and block occurs when I attempt to update the driver from the CD, HP site, Vista's prompt to update driver for monitor, and through the control panel.  How do I get full permission to my own pc?

11 พฤษภาคม 2551 13:53
  • Same problem here... After some debugging, I know the problem but not the solution.  Perhaps someone from Microsoft can help.  Here's an excerpt from my setupapi.dev.log file:

ndv:           Installing device...
         dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE} 03:00:50.560
         dvi:                Class installer: Enter 03:00:50.560
         dvi:                     {Build Driver List} 03:00:50.576
    !    dvi:                          Driver list already built
         dvi:                     {Build Driver List - exit(0x00000000)} 03:00:50.592
         inf:                     Opened PNF: 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\monitor.inf_bf05f1f4\monitor.inf' ([strings.0409] <src=drvstore>)
         inf:                     DelReg=DCR  (monitor.inf line 2133)
         inf:                          HKR,MODES  (monitor.inf line 8862)
         inf:                     Deleting registry key 'HKR\MODES'
    !!!  inf:                     Delete registry key: error 0x00000005.
    !!!  inf:                     Error 5: Access is denied.
    !!!  inf:                     Error parsing section [PnPMonitor.Install], key=DelReg.
    !!!  inf:                     Error parsing section [PnPMonitor.Install]
    !!!  dvi:                Class installer: failed(0x00000005)!
    !!!  dvi:                Error 5: Access is denied.
         dvi:           {DIF_INSTALLDEVICE - exit(0x00000005)} 03:00:50.670
    !!!  ndv:           Error(00000005) installing device!
         ndv:           Device install status=0x00000005
         ndv:           Performing device install final cleanup...
    !    ndv:           Queueing up error report since device installation failed...

The relvent INF file section is [DEL_CURRENT_REG], as follows:

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
    HKR,MODES
    HKR,,MaxResolution
    HKR,,DPMS
    HKR,,ICMProfile

the MODES key is set up as follows, with several subkeys:

[w2207_D.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\640,480",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,-,-"
    HKR,"MODES\800,600",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1024,768",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1152,720",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,-,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1280,960",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1440,900",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50.0-76.0,-,+"
    HKR,"MODES\1680,1050",Mode1,,"24.0-83.0,50-76.0,-,+"
    HKR,,PreferredMode,,"1680,1050,60"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0x00010000,"sRGB Color Space Profile.icm"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0x00010008,"HP_w2207.icm"

Does Vista Home Premium 64-bit not allow deletion of a set of subkeys this way?  Perhaps the subkeys need to be deleted one at a time first?

Looking more at the log file, it appears that Microsoft's monitor.inf is making the failing DelReg call, rather than the HP inf file.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

22 พฤษภาคม 2551 1:53
  • Here's a little more information:

The failed DelReg call from monitor.inf is trying to delete the keys for the "Generic PnP Monitor" (*PNP09FF).  I checked the registry and the only monitors installed are the Generic Non-PnP Monitor and the HP2207 monitor.  Unfortunately, the HP2207 monitor is not being recognised here and is showing up in device manager as an "other device".  Windows Update keeps trying to install the HP2207 driver and failing.

22 พฤษภาคม 2551 18:39
  •  

A friend of mine is having this issue also.  Here is what he had tried so far...

Hi Eric,

Still can't get the monitor driver to install! Every time I boot \up my HP Pavilion Elite d5500t Windows Vista plug ND Play recognizes "New HARDWARE MONITOR HP w2207h' then asks to install the driver and first tried to go to the web site and install it directly from there and then I tried to direct it to the file on the install CD I even then put the specific file on the C; drive and directed to there to install but always get this same "Access denied error " Below is the link to HP solution for this error:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01393328&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3543988&lang=en

And I have TRIED USING THE FIX FOUR TIMES BUT STILL GET THAT SAME ERROR MESSAGE OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I even tried to manually install the drive as is instructed form the "README" FILE ON THE INSTALL CD. I'm attaching a copy of those instructions, but I still get "ACCESS DENIED ERROR" and the driver does not install.

Funny thing although it does not install the driver the monitor seems to be working fine. It is using the windows default monitor driver and I'm able to change resolution and to picture looks OK and seems to be functioning properly. I'm wondering if I'm READING THE FIX PROPERLY? Does it mean that the hp w2207h monitor is plug and play compatible without any needed driver install when used with an HP computer and the driver is for other brand computer or OS and that I DON'T Have to install the drive on the CD but just use the Vista default driver which right now path is C:\Windows\System32\Drivers/Monitor.sys.

What do you think? If I don't need the driver install. How do I stop it from asking each time it boots up to install the driver?

I just can't figure this one error out!

--Joe

I then sent him to this thread and he tried some more....

Hi Eric, Read all those and tried each of the three ways mentioned but I still get the "ACCESS DENIED" error message.

files.

C:\Windows\inf\input.data
    C:\Windows\in\investor.data
    C:\Windows\in\infesting.data
    C:\Windows\in\divined.data
    C:\Windows\in\IN CACHE.1

1. Negative to C:\Windows\in\
    2. Right click input.data and choose properties.

Please repeat the above steps with investor.data, infesting.data, divined.data
    and IN CACHE.1.

RESULTS:  Vista will not allow 'Full Control' to take effect. It returns to Read Only check option.

And then still get "ACCESS DENIED" and the driver install FAIL notice. repeats over again.

Any suggestions guys???

Thanks,

Eric

8 กรกฎาคม 2551 13:01
  • I just bought a HP m8530f Media Center with HP w2408h 24" monitor and experienced the exact same symptoms as everyone else on this message board, including unsolved tech support with HP.  Based on one of the other replies, I finally found a valid method to load the monitor driver, have the monitor displayed under device manger "monitor", as well as load the "HP My display" and I'm able to check for driver updates without error.  This was the procedure I followed:

1.  Download the latest SP***** driver from HP for your type of monitor and place on desktop (do not install it yet).

2.  Download the latest "HP My Display" from http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/upgrade.html and place on desktop (do not install yet).

3.  Download the latest NVIDIA driver (if you have a NVIDIA graphics card) and place on desktop (do not install it yet).

4.  Under control panel, uninstall the "HP My Display" software (do not reboot yet)

5.  In Device Managar, uninstall the monitor driver whether it is located under "monitor" or "other."

6.  In Device Manager, unistall your NVIDIA display adapter.

7.  Reboot your computer.  The display will be low resolution when your computer comes back on line but is normal.

8.  Double click the HP SP***** driver on your desktop and install by following displayed directions.

9.  Double click NVIDIA driver on your desktop and install by following displayed directions.

10.  Double click the "My Display Setup" and perform installation.  The directions should ask you to reboot.

11.  After you reboot, check that you Device Manager displays the correct information.

I was able to complete this process without any errors.

Hope it works for you too!

Karl

9 กรกฎาคม 2551 20:11
  • Boy, did I luck out!  I restored my computer to factory condition two days after you posted your directions (I've actually restored a half dozen times or so, but never ran into this problem until I used the cd that came with the monitor---for the first time on July 11th).

The error in updating (access denied) was driving me nuts! HP rep was of no help--- said "it's working"---as in, I can use my monitor---did a search and found your directions.  Quick, easy and best of all IT WORKED! Thank you so much, Karl!

13 กรกฎาคม 2551 5:22
  • Anajay,

I am so glad that the procedure helped resolve your problem.  What is amazing is that HP cannot provide some similar instruction to all the people who have called, including myself.  Thanks for letting me know it worked for you and it was not simply a fluke on my end.

Karl

19 กรกฎาคม 2551 14:18
  • Hi

Thank you Karl, i was so close to get my monitor name from "Other Devices" (Muut Laitteet - Finnish language).
    First time i saw no error message after SWxxxxx-package install (HP 2207h).
    But like HP state, after we really talked about this issue and i said, you must claim Your Total Care-phrase.
    And this FRIENDLY worker from HP, call around, and like we knew, there are/is solutions for some system,
    what does not work with another ones, and so on...

However, i found my own solution ...like (almost) everyone. It is under Other Devices, but with my monitor name.
    (after that clean registry solution, by someone) + Latest Nvidia and HP My Display will start on startup.
    Monitor and every features work perfectly... even i am "perfectionist", this time i am happy to this Wink

BTW, if anyone got those annoying "Auto Adjustments" all the time, after boot.
    Just run diagnostic from CD, and run test(s) 2 or 3 - You will see "Input signal out of range" or something like that... just wait, until it start HDD check.. (press esc) ...And auto adjustment messages are gone. Smile ..or at least that work for me, everytime, if i update HP My Display

Vesa  

19 กรกฎาคม 2551 18:50
  •  

I have the same problem with that message access is denied when i try to install driver for w2408h.I dont know what to do I tried everything,even system restore and nothing.I am running only one account as a administrator and it is still telling me access denied.Please hellp anyone.Thanks

22 กรกฎาคม 2551 8:58
  • I got this same "Access Denied" error message when I tried to install the driver for my brand new HP w2207h LCD Monitor on its new HP Pavilion Elite D5000t computer with NIVDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card. I tried all those fix recomendations too and NONE worked. For 3 weeks at each startup Vista Ultimate 64 OS would find NEW HARDWARE correctly I.D. it as the HP w2207h monitor and then try to install the driver and always get

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device  Access is denied. and then driver failed install"

HP TOTAL CARE Support final recomendation is this:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

In reviewing your message I understand that the system gives an error message “Access Denied" while trying to install the Monitor Drivers.

I appreciate your efforts in resolving the issue.

I wish to inform that the HP monitor uses Plug-and-Play and may not require that driver files be installed on the computer. Windows Vista Operating System includes the most current version of monitor drivers for plug n play monitors. As HP Monitors uses the Plug-and-Play as mentioned above, Vista will automatically install the drivers for these Plug-and-Play monitors. There is no need to install the drivers separately for the Plug-and-Play monitors. Installing the Plug-and-Play monitor drivers included in the Vista Operating System will not effect on the monitor performance. You can use all of the features and settings of your HP Monitor without any issues. Therefore, to install the Plug-and-Play moitor drivers, please perform the steps provided below:

1. Start
    2. Type Device Manager in search bar and then press enter
    3. In the Device Manager window, click on + sign next to the Other Devices
    4. Right click on the monitor type/ monitor device and click on Update driver software
    5. In the Update driver software window, click on Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    7. Remove check mark next to Show compatible hardware
    8. Select Standard Monitor Types under the manufacturer window and select Generic PnP Monitor under model window
    9. Clck on Next and then Close

The above steps should install the Monitor drivers that are included in Windows Vista. You will no longer recieve the message to install the monitor drivers in your PC.

As mentioned above, installing the drivers included in Windows Vista will not effect on the monitor performance and options.

We assure you of our best services always, if you need any further assistance or clarifications, please feel free to reply to this mail. I would be delighted to assist you. In closing, let me add that we appreciate your business and support.

You may receive an e-mail survey regarding your e-mail support experience. We would appreciate your feedback.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

22 กรกฎาคม 2551 17:10
  • I just replaced my two old LCD monitors with new ones today and found I had the same problem - "Access is Denied" when specifying the monitor driver on my Vista SP1 system.  I didn't want to uninstall and reinstall my video and monitor drivers, so I decided to run process monitor and see what the issue was.  Once I filtered on Access Denied results in process monitor, I noticed one entry from DrvInst.exe, which sounded relevant:

70613 9:46:29.9310268 AM DrvInst.exe 4632 RegOpenKey HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\Default_Monitor\(Unique ID)\Device Parameters\MODES ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Enumerate Sub Keys, Delete

So, I started regedit and navigated to the MODES key.  When I did, I got a warning that I didn't have permissions to view that key.  Normally I wouldn't modify settings under Enum, but this seemed pretty straight forward, so I right clicked on the key, clicked permissions, and clicked advanced.  Under the Owner tab, I set myself as owner, then went back and gave full access permissions to the key and closed regedit.  I then tried to install the monitor driver again and it worked.  Going back into regedit after everything was finished, it looks like the permissions were automatically reset during the install to what they were before.
    24 กรกฎาคม 2551 14:25
  •  mburrough wrote:

I just replaced my two old LCD monitors with new ones today and found I had the same problem - "Access is Denied" when specifying the monitor driver on my Vista SP1 system.  I didn't want to uninstall and reinstall my video and monitor drivers, so I decided to run process monitor and see what the issue was.  Once I filtered on Access Denied results in process monitor, I noticed one entry from DrvInst.exe, which sounded relevant:

70613 9:46:29.9310268 AM DrvInst.exe 4632 RegOpenKey HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\Default_Monitor\(Unique ID)\Device Parameters\MODES ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Enumerate Sub Keys, Delete

So, I started regedit and navigated to the MODES key.  When I did, I got a warning that I didn't have permissions to view that key.  Normally I wouldn't modify settings under Enum, but this seemed pretty straight forward, so I right clicked on the key, clicked permissions, and clicked advanced.  Under the Owner tab, I set myself as owner, then went back and gave full access permissions to the key and closed regedit.  I then tried to install the monitor driver again and it worked.  Going back into regedit after everything was finished, it looks like the permissions were automatically reset during the install to what they were before.

THANKS!

It didn't work directly, after i set "ownership"...
    So i checked, and found few other key as well - where i get permission notification,
    so i set ownership there also.
    These keys was under "...Enum\DISPLAY\Default_Monitor..."

First nothing, but i saw new Nvidia Beta driver via Nvidia control panel,
    (Nvidia updater/etc are additional programs from their site),
    i installed that... rebooted, checked that driver is ok,
    and... Wow! ...my monitor was under Display category, Colour-profiles, everything was ok.

Vesa

Delusion wrote:
    Hi

Thank you Karl, i was so close to get my monitor name from "Other Devices" (Muut Laitteet - Finnish language).
    First time i saw no error message after SWxxxxx-package install (HP 2207h).
    But like HP state, after we really talked about this issue and i said, you must claim Your Total Care-phrase.
    And this FRIENDLY worker from HP, call around, and like we knew, there are/is solutions for some system,
    what does not work with another ones, and so on...

However, i found my own solution ...like (almost) everyone. It is under Other Devices, but with my monitor name.
    (after that clean registry solution, by someone) + Latest Nvidia and HP My Display will start on startup.
    Monitor and every features work perfectly... even i am "perfectionist", this time i am happy to this

BTW, if anyone got those annoying "Auto Adjustments" all the time, after boot.
    Just run diagnostic from CD, and run test(s) 2 or 3 - You will see "Input signal out of range" or something like that... just wait, until it start HDD check.. (press esc) ...And auto adjustment messages are gone. ..or at least that work for me, everytime, if i update HP My Display

Vesa  

Changed username from Anonyymi/Anonymous Wink
    31 กรกฎาคม 2551 9:25
  • Thank you so much Karl,

I have an HP m8430f Windows Vista Media Center 64bit, with w2408h Monitor. I followed your instructions to the letter, and now everything works exactly like it is supposed to. My monitor driver is listed under "monitor" in the device manager instead of other, " My Display" works great with all the options.

Again thanks, your procedure worked perfectly.

Carl

13 สิงหาคม 2551 20:24
  • I have the exact same problem with my brand new custom built computer from HP. I dont like that the install fails, but i could ignore that, my main concern is the usb ports dont work on the moniter as well. Im not computer wizard, should I just take my moniter to costco (I built it through costco/HP online) and replace my moniter, or send it back to HP? i've tried the recommended fixes on the HP support site but it didnt work. These other solutions sound too advanced for me.
    20 สิงหาคม 2551 22:16

• Ok, once again i checked updates for HP My Display/Drivers, and found this:

http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/support_help.html

Here is a direct link to fix for "Access Denied" issue (HP LCD Monitors & Vista):

http://download.portrait.com/DRVFix.zip

Download DRVFix.zip.

The fix contains 3 files including this readme. All must be in to the same folder.

• readme.txt - This file
    • RestoreDisp.exe - Executable required to restore permissions. DO NOT RUN THIS FILE
    • DVRFIX.exe - Run this file in Administrator mode after reading the instructions completely
    To perform the fix do the following:
    1. Extract all files in to a folder on your desktop
    2. Open the folder, right click on the DVRFIX.exe file and choose "Run As Administrator"
    3. Follow the on screen instructions. When complete, you should be able to install your drivers

If you find this helpful, please let me know.

I fixed this issue manually (from registry), about month ago.
    But gladly i found this help file, by mistake. Smile

Regards
    Vesa
    • เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย ThePhantasma 27 มีนาคม 2552 9:35
    6 กันยายน 2551 20:53
  • mburrought, Could you post the full registry path to MODES?  

22 กันยายน 2551 2:35
  •  

Big thanks to Karl55 - this approach worked for me whereas the previously suggested manipulations did not.

Thanks Karl - you brought to an end several hours of misery (when I was expecting to enjoy my new w2207h monitor).

All working fine now with excellent quality, pivot and MyDisplay software all correct.

29 กันยายน 2551 22:03
  • Hey, Delusion!

Thanks for posting this. It solved my problem! 

Joanne

4 ตุลาคม 2551 23:42
  • Thank you Karl!  I've also been struggling with this same problem with the monitor driver.  I followed your instructions and it seems to have fixed the issue.  This procedure worked even though I have a Radeon HD 3600 series graphics card.  Thank you so much!

Michael

15 ตุลาคม 2551 15:37
  • Dude you rock. Keep up the good work.WORKED BRILLIANTLY

21 ตุลาคม 2551 0:26
  • So we all purchased "new" monitors (in our case, new everything) and in addition to navigating through the trials of Vista there seems to be a bug of sorts in the Display Driver???  RassnFassnGRRR! Indeed!  I think it's time to call in the Fire Dogs. 

24 ตุลาคม 2551 12:56
  • I have the same problem with Vista 64, an Nvidia card, and the HP w2207h. Interestingly when I connect the monitor using VGA, the driver is properly installed. When I switch back to HDMI the problem returns.

I've tried all of the suggested fixes and none of them work. It appears as if it might be a communications issue between the monitor and card over HDMI. My question for MS is, are there really seperate drivers based on connection type, or is this simply a matter of the driver failing under this connection type and defaulting back to the PnP driver?

Any advice on where to go from here? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a going to be a lot of finger pointing at the "other vendor".

24 ตุลาคม 2551 14:59
  • Anonyymi said:

Ok, once again i checked updates for HP My Display/Drivers, and found this:

Here is a direct link to fix for "Access Denied" issue (HP LCD Monitors & Vista):

Download DRVFix.zip.

The fix contains 3 files including this readme. All must be in to the same folder.

• readme.txt - This file
    • RestoreDisp.exe - Executable required to restore permissions. DO NOT RUN THIS FILE
    • DVRFIX.exe - Run this file in Administrator mode after reading the instructions completely
    2. Open the folder, right click on the DVRFIX.exe file and choose "Run As Administrator"
    3. Follow the on screen instructions. When complete, you should be able to install your drivers

Regards
    Vesa

I quote myself, because i haven't had any problems with my GeForce 8500 GT and HP w2207h LCD screen - anymore, until now.
    Instead Monitor "Access Denied" , i got "Access Denied", when i tried to upgrade GeForce driver.

But i found a solution, not a easy one, but gladly i tried old drivers from HP-site, and i saw error message about some Software and Global,
    and i remember those registry keys, because i wasn't able to clean all registry settings by nVidia in past (didn't knew permission thing then).
    But i found it:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation

So i start deleting. But of course: Permission error! Well i toke permission, and delete that, but grrr.... new hidden keys appear under Global-key, ok,
    i deleted those as well, and i toke permission many many many times for each and every key under Global-key and so on.
    Then i deleted whole "NVIDIA Corporation"-key... And after all this, i was able to upgrade, without any problems.

I read some article, that HP and Microsoft knew this problem, but because new kind of functions/etc, there are/was some problems,
    especially with Vista users. So, because Plug and Play technology, you may found that Device manager tell you that you don't have a Monitor, lol. 

Vesa

Again new nick - ThePhantasma, because i forgot the login. Previously Delusion/TheDelusion (hence the nick, lol)

• แก้ไขโดย ThePhantasma 27 มีนาคม 2552 8:00 typo
    • เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย ThePhantasma 27 มีนาคม 2552 9:33
    27 มีนาคม 2552 7:49
  • Anonyymi said:

Ok, once again i checked updates for HP My Display/Drivers, and found this:

Download DRVFix.zip.

• readme.txt - This file

Regards
    Vesa

I quote myself, because i haven't had any problems with my GeForce 8500 GT and HP w2207h LCD screen - anymore, until now.
    Instead Monitor "Access Denied" , i got "Access Denied", when i tried to upgrade GeForce driver.

But i found a solution, not a easy one, but gladly i tried old drivers from HP-site, and i saw error message about some Software and Global,
    and i remember those registry keys, because i wasn't able to clean all registry settings by nVidia in past (didn't knew permission thing then).
    But i found it:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation

So i start deleting. But of course: Permission error! Well i toke permission, and delete that, but grrr.... new hidden keys appear under Global-key, ok,
    i deleted those as well, and i toke permission many many many times for each and every key under Global-key and so on.
    Then i deleted whole "NVIDIA Corporation"-key... And after all this, i was able to upgrade, without any problems.

I read some article, that HP and Microsoft knew this problem, but because new kind of functions/etc, there are/was some problems,
    especially with Vista users. So, because Plug and Play technology, you may found that Device manager tell you that you don't have a Monitor, lol. 

Vesa

Again new nick - ThePhantasma, because i forgot the login. Previously Delusion/TheDelusion (hence the nick, lol)

I came across this thread trying to fix the same issues - dvd's were not playing properly and I tried the steps at portrait and it worked for me.  Now I have a second issue that I am curious about.  I have two HP DVD drives on my machine and when I put a commercial dvd in the drive that came with the machine, it only works in cyberlink powerdvd.  It will not read in anything else (vlc, media player, dvdfab, dvdshrink, etc.)  If I take the dvd out and insert into my second dvd drive (purchased seperately) it works perfectly in every program I use.  If there is some type of fix for this please let me know as I can still return this second dvd drive I bought. I have downloaded K-lite codec pack. Thanks in advance.
    11 พฤศจิกายน 2552 2:04
  • hi

I had the same problem, this is how I solved it > http://odedrabanitips.blogspot.com/2010/12/access-denied-while-installing-or.html

Hope you will find it useful.

Thanks !

Oded Rabani

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย chicken9817639812763 29 ธันวาคม 2553 7:03
    29 ธันวาคม 2553 7:02