none
Windows vista stuck on welcome screen

Yanıtlar

•  

Hi,

Let’s test if we can you boot into Safe Mode now.

1. Reboot the computer.

2. When the Starting Windows screen shows, press F8.

3. Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

Does this issue occur in Safe Mode?

If not, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer to Normal Mode and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

03 Kasım 2008 Pazartesi 06:02
    Moderatör

Tüm Yanıtlar

•  

Hi,

1. Reboot the computer.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

03 Kasım 2008 Pazartesi 06:02
    Moderatör
  • This happened to me earlier. Here is what I've found, and how I resolved it. It is normally caused by something (usually a printer driver) wanting you to click a button to confirm something, but you can't see it. Try uninstalling the new driver from Safe Mode, or using a Last Known Good setting (from the F8 boot menu). You can also try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete on the welcome screen, choosing Task Manager, then 'Run' on the File menu, and typing Explorer.

However, in my case it was caused by the Boot partition letters changing after adding another partition (or recovering the System partition from the Vista installation disk, I can't be sure). It was trying to load software from its previous drive letter C: when if was now D:. It was also creating files on C: and running out of space. You can see this when the Vista Install CD identifies the drive letter of your Boot partition. If it's not what it usually is, that's your problem.

Anyway, to solve it I booting into the Vista CD's repair mode, then Command Prompt, then regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE, then Load Hive on the File menu. Load the hive in %SYSTEM32%\Config\SYSTEM (probably D:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM, or the same but with D: ). Then follow instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 (I didn't need to change any permissions on Vista).

You can probably do the same with some Partition Recovery software, like Acronis Disk Doctor, but I couldn't get it to work.
    17 Kasım 2008 Pazartesi 10:26
  • Hi, I am having the same problem. I was able to go into safe mode and disable all services/startup programs. I booted normally and it worked the first time. But after enabling some programs and services, it stopped working and reverted to being frozen at the welcome screen again. I tried disabling everything again and rebooting, but it didn't work. Any thoughts?

Michael
    10 Şubat 2009 Salı 07:09
  • First of all thank you for your help I have the same problem and I tried system restore and it did not work I have no problems starting in safe mode but as soon as it stars normally it gets stuck in welcome I tried doing what you say but it still does not start normally I wonder if you have any other ideas
    Thank you very much
    22 Kasım 2009 Pazar 13:09
  • I'm having the same issue, that I'm troubleshooting now, I have found that if you press the Ctrl+Alt+ Del keys twice you can get the task manager running this seems to kick start it going again. It would be interesting to now if you have solved the issue or if this work around also works for you.
    16 Aralık 2009 Çarşamba 15:11
  • I ended up having to restore the laptop to factory settings a complete nightmare as I had to re install everything but it is working properly now so fingers crossed I am taking note of your solution just in case so Thank you very much
    16 Aralık 2009 Çarşamba 16:18
  • Anyone had luck with this issue? I've been having difficulties with this for about a week now. For reference, this just seemed to occur out of the blue -- did not install any new drivers or hardware (to my knowledge). Also, tried one restore point from a few weeks ago and seemed to work... once. Now I can't explain it, but all restore points have been deleted too!

I am by no means an expert, but I try to tackles these things and could use help. Here's what I've done so far:

- successfully booted in safe mode (see previous postings above).
    - opened 'msconfig'

- tried to narrow down the suspects with the 'Services' first.
    - Disabled all 'Services'.
    - Re-started and rebooted successfully.
    - Tried to re-enable 'Services' one by one.

- I got to re-enabling 'IKE and AuthIP IPsec keying modules' service and rebooted. Encountered the hang-up at Vista Welcome screen again.
    - Re-booted in safe mode.
    - Disabled the 'IKE...' service. Rebooted fine.
    - Repeated the re-enable and disable cycle again, got the hangup one more time for good measure.
    - Re-enabled all services except the 'IKE...' service and rebooted fine (?). Working on the computer now. [Dell Inspiron Laptop E1505 running Vista SP 2 with 2GB RAM]

Did some searching about this service and wondering if this is a vital service that I should be running (see link below).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733299%28WS.10%29.aspx

I've backed-up personal files and am trying to avoid the clean reboot of Vista, though considering wiping it and running Linux if possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    20 Aralık 2009 Pazar 18:43
  • Tim,

Vista was stock on Welcome screen during Normal startup.  I rebooted in Safe Mode and performed the Clean Boot that you outlined above.  Both Services and Startup were disabled.  Vista booted okay in Normal Mode.  You mentioned the 50/50 approach.  What exactly is this and what should be my next step?

Thanks...Chris
    22 Aralık 2009 Salı 15:23
  • I'm having the exact same problem with Vista boot getting hung up on the Welcome screen.  It will boot in Safe Mode.  But after reading your post I discovered that doing Ctl+Alt+Del twice gets it started.  I'll continue to dig for the root cause.  Have you gotten any further?

Thanks...Chris
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren The Gunner 22 Ocak 2010 Cuma 00:04
    22 Aralık 2009 Salı 20:39
  •  

Hi,

1. Reboot the computer.

Clean Boot

========

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tim,

I also have a Vista Home Basic that is stuck on boot up where it freezes on the green progress bar (I never see the Vista desktop).  I followed your instructions and was able to boot into Safe Mode and then disabled all Services (except Microsoft services) and Startup.  I still get frozen on bootup.  I assumed this means that it is a Microsoft service that causes the hang, since the Microsoft services are still enabled?  So I went back into msconfig and disabled ALL services including Microsoft services, and the pc still freezes up during boot.  What is the difference between booting up in Safe Mode (which I can do successfully) and booting up with all Services and Startup programs disabled?  What would be my next step?

Thanks,
    FlopShot
    14 Ocak 2010 Perşembe 20:45
  • The same happened to me. 'Out of the blue' my vista computer was frozen. I had not used the computer in a few weeks but could not get it to go past the default opening screen.
    I used restore and it worked again.
    Then I noted that I had 19 critical updates and so I applied those.
    The computer rebooted after installing the updates but the screen was frozen.
    I noted that the drive light continued to flash periodically so I left it alone overnight thinking it had more work to do.
    In the morning it was still frozen.
    I started again in safe mode as recommended.
    Works well BUT
    The opening screen notifies me that I installed windows' updates and that I can check what was installed.
    When I check it says - no updates were installed.
    Conclusion? The system is getting 'hung' trying to apply updates. Terence
    18 Ocak 2010 Pazartesi 13:12
  • I am having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1501....that is it boots up in safe mode just fine but gets stuck in the "Welcome Screen" with a normal boot until you give it a Ctl+Alt+Del....just once actually.  I did a restore from the original system image that was provide by Dell at the time of shipment and it fixed the problem.  It booted up just fine and went to the desktop.  Then I went to Microsoft Update and added 83 updates on top of this virgin system.  And, yes, you guessed it.  The problem is back.  It has to be one of the Microsoft updates.

My plan at this point.....although I am tempted to just drive over the laptop with my car a couple of time....is to do another restore from the Dell image and add the updates one at a time.  Although, maybe there is a way to remove them.  I've never done that.  I can look into that.

Vince
    22 Ocak 2010 Cuma 00:15
  • Same problem as you Vince. Dell Inspiron 1501 that is stuck on boot up. About a week ago I had this problem and booted up in safe mode and did a system restore. Fixed the problem and everything was working fine. Last night it came back and I have no idea what to do now. I think I might just go get some illegal fireworks and attach it to my computer and have a nice little show, and then go buy a mac. Ill continue to try to figure something out and post if I find a solution.

Tom
    29 Ocak 2010 Cuma 23:37
  •  

Hi,

1. Reboot the computer.

Clean Boot

========

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Hi Tim

Your advice starts off

"Let’s test if we can you boot into Safe Mode now.

1. Reboot the computer.

If not, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the issue."

My daughter's Dell Inspiron 6400 does it in normal start up and safe mode. The only way she can get it to start is via the ctrl, alt, del method.

Have you any advice for her as to fix the problem?

Regards

Billy

31 Ocak 2010 Pazar 18:14
  • I am having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1501....it boots up in safe mode just fine but gets stuck in the "Welcome Screen" with a normal boot until you give it a Ctl+Alt+Del once.  Updating a novice users computer. Everything went well until updates after SP2 & now it has the hang problem. I agree, it has to be one of the Microsoft updates.
    01 Şubat 2010 Pazartesi 15:50
  • Same problem with an Inspiron 1501. Found my "solution" over at computing.net. 

support.dell.com -- download & install the wireless card driver -- detail below.

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard
    Release Date: 3/4/2008
    Version: 4.170.25.17 / 4.170.25.12, A17
    Download Type: Driver 
    File Format: Hard Drive
    File Size: 53 MB 

I've been restarting all morning daring the machine to hang -- problem appears to be corrected -- go figure...

Hope you have the same luck.

Cheers!

Jay
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren a1776 02 Eylül 2011 Cuma 19:34
    03 Şubat 2010 Çarşamba 18:43
  • Had the same problem. Jay's solution worked. Thank you so much.

Maria
    06 Şubat 2010 Cumartesi 20:31
  • IT'S NO PROBLEM TAKE YOUR BOOT UP CD OR DVD AND REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM YOUR PROBLEM IS SLOVE
    07 Şubat 2010 Pazar 02:06
  • TAKE YOUR BOOT CD OR DVD AND REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM
    07 Şubat 2010 Pazar 02:08
    07 Şubat 2010 Pazar 02:09
    07 Şubat 2010 Pazar 02:10
  • THE BOOT MENU F8 AND CLICK THE SAFEMODE YOU START THE ALL SERVICES
    07 Şubat 2010 Pazar 02:13
  • ALSO HAVE INSPIRON 1501 WITH SAME PROBLEM

Cheers Jay,
                    You rock. Boss spent best part off a day trying to sort this out. Did as you suggested and re-installed wi-fi card and it running sweet. Just got me a few bonus points from him.
                     Owe you a few beers if you ever in Wexford,Ireland dude.
    with respect,

Mark
    16 Şubat 2010 Salı 18:46
  • You are great JAM, I had the same problem and i installed the wireless card driver dell had online which is different from what you stated but it still solve the issue. (I also have the inspiron 1501)
    17 Nisan 2010 Cumartesi 22:37
  • Thanks alot Jay...This is really the fix for the Inspiron-1501....
    27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 14:22
  • You probably need to reformat, easiest way is to put it in another machine as a slave and do it. unplug all unnecessary hardware also.
    17 Haziran 2010 Perşembe 17:44
  • Aah, but it isn't solved.  I have tried reinstalling windows three times, using both the recovery partition and a Box copy of Vista.  Both times the hangup at the Microsoft Title Screen (the one with the green status bar) happens after installing a group of windows updates.  I will narrow it down to the specific update and repost
    25 Temmuz 2010 Pazar 00:08
  • Thanks a lot, Jay. Works perfectly.

Germain

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren foreevergeek 21 Ekim 2010 Perşembe 08:46
    18 Ağustos 2010 Çarşamba 17:44
  • Oh!  I am new at this I just proposed as answer the previou post!

Well, what I have to say is yoo-ray!  The network mini-driver definitely did the trick.  Viola!  No more lockups at "Welcome" screen!

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren foreevergeek 21 Ekim 2010 Perşembe 08:51
    21 Ekim 2010 Perşembe 08:50
  • Hello Jay, thank God I found you on this site because your suggested fix did just that. It has been three days, the laptop has booted up, like it should, everytime. I hope others with the similar problem read your suggestion, too. Thanks a lot for caring enough to post it! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

God bless, G8r715

22 Aralık 2010 Çarşamba 15:18
  • I have a Sony Vaio (VGN-NS135E) with Vista SP1.

It started freezing/hanging up during the welcome screen.  Started in Safe-Mode fine...was going to backup my files but it was WAY too slow...probably b/c it was in Safe-Mode.

Restarted in Normal mode and CHKDSK started...do I have a bad hard drive??? So After it finished it seemed to load just fine.  Got past the welcome screen...the desktop came up...but the taskbar didn't finish loading...and then... BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

LAME! Guess its time to get a new harddrive...maybe with Windows 7 on it.  Maybe my computer was committing suicide b/c it had VISTA on it! lol

Next laptop is going to me a Mac! Maybe the Macbook Air so I don't have to deal with hard drives ;)

Anywho, thats what scenario happened to me, and it all started with Vista being stuck on the welcome screen.  Back up your stuff!

27 Şubat 2011 Pazar 17:29
  • i had same problem found that it was caused by the fact that i had experimented with a million userscripts and styles i had to completely remove ff mozilla and its customizations and all refrences to it and reload it and rebuild it from scratch even though i had used ccleaner
    05 Mart 2011 Cumartesi 08:38
  • Same problem with an Inspiron 1501. Found my "solution" over at computing.net. 

support.dell.com -- download & install the wireless card driver -- detail below.

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard
    Release Date: 3/4/2008
    Version: 4.170.25.17 / 4.170.25.12, A17
    Download Type: Driver 
    File Format: Hard Drive
    File Size: 53 MB 

I've been restarting all morning daring the machine to hang -- problem appears to be corrected -- go figure...

Hope you have the same luck.

Cheers!

Jay

This is the answer for me, a Dell Inspiron 1501 withthe same exact symptoms, fixed by installed the wireless adapter drivers from Dell's website.  Thanks, Jam, you saved me a few wasted hours and some googling! :)
    02 Eylül 2011 Cuma 19:35
  • Looking forward to trying Jay's fix but I cant seem to get past the welcome screen.  Doesn't matter whether I start up in normal or safe mode, I still cant get past the welcome screen.  Hitting cntrl alt del once, twice, three times doesn't do anything either.  Tried restore point but that didn't help.  If someone knows how I can get past the welcome screen so I can apply the wireless card driver fix please tell me how.

LAugier
    03 Ekim 2011 Pazartesi 17:05
  • im new and i had the same problem but its a bit more complicated.....i was installing lol (online game) and at the installation screen had to hard restart....now its stuck after the insert password screen loading windows and thats it,......problem....i cant do absolutly anything about it....not even go to bios mode.....so i was wondering if anyone can help please.....
    10 Ekim 2011 Pazartesi 09:09
  • JAM-50 (Jay) solution worked perfectly! Thanks Jay for posting it.

Since Jay's post helped more people than Tim Quan's post, Jay's answer should be at the top of this page. Seems shady that a Microsoft moderator would suppress the correct answer in favor of his own less-helpful answer...

28 Ekim 2011 Cuma 15:40
  • How does one install network wireless driver when the system doesnt boot?? My problem is similar to what the others are facing.

My laptop doesn't boot. It gets stuck on the screen where the green scrolling bar runs towards the bottom of the screen with 'Microsoft corportion' written under it. I have tried all options available after pressing F8 but still the sytems comes and gets stuck on the same screen. I do have have a repair CD. Any idea what could be the problem and how to resolve it?
    Config details:
    windows vista
    64 bit
    MS home premium
    intel dual core processor
    Gateway T series laptop

Thanks

Amit

09 Aralık 2011 Cuma 18:00
  • Could i install something similar to this on my HP Pavillion DV6910US ?
    11 Ocak 2012 Çarşamba 07:08
  • Thanks for your help!! Fixed my problem!!! Your answer should be @ #1..
    25 Mart 2012 Pazar 14:11