none
Hard Drive not being found by windows :/

Soru

• Hi,

I have just migrated to windows 7 64-bit. But windows is not detecting my other hard drive attatched to the computer.

I have checked BIOS and it finds it with no problem.

My hard drive setup is :

2 x 300Gb HD's in striped raid/array(cant rememver what its called), with The windows 7 installed on.

1 x 1Tb storage drive. (The one I cannot find) with no OS installed. (SAMSUNG HD103UJ)

I inserted the windows 7 disk , and in the installation, the drive still doesnt appear under the available drives part.

Anyone have any ideas what it will take to get it recognised?

Thanks in advance

27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 16:39

Yanıtlar

• As I said above, BIOS has NO problems detecting the hard drive, so i don't see how a BIOS update will help :/...

As for scanning for hardware changes.. already tried and no luck there either.

And I don't have another computer with windows 7 on it :/...

I found this post earlier on another topic.(credit to Kougar), who had some similar issues with windows 7 detecting a hard drive.

Problem solved, kinda. SATA hard drives previously used in Intel RAID arrays (and perhaps other RAID controllers too) appear to break something inside the Windows 7 installer.

To get around this "bug" users can install XP onto the hard drive. I had zero problems installing my MSDN copy of XP SP3 to the Seagate hard drives. After I used XP's installer to delete the partitions and make a new one on the drive that seemed to fix the issue. Windows 7 will now detect and install onto the drives as normal, and without any need for AHCI drivers.

This is a major regression in Windows 7. Remember I tried both a quick format and a low-level format INSIDE an active Windows 7 installation, but even then the Windows 7 installer could not see these drives. Yet after installing XP , the Windows 7 installer was able to detect, delete, and create a new partition to install onto, and the XP installer had no problems detecting the drives.

I'm not sure at this stage where to file a bug report, but this is not going to be an insignificant problem. I am now finding other tech enthusiasts with similar problems due to drives previously used in RAID arrays, in fact that was how I got the idea to try XP in the first place.

From what I can make of it, windows 7 doesnt like some hard drives that were formatted in windows xp using certain settings.

So my conclusion is to :

-->Plug another Hard drive into the computer that windows 7 can actually find. Format it USING windows 7.

-->Install XP back onto this harddrive so I can see both of the other hard drives.

--> transfer everyting onto the hard drive that was formatted in windows 7

-->re-install windows 7 xD

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Linda Yan 07 Haziran 2010 Pazartesi 01:44
    28 Mayıs 2010 Cuma 12:57

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Open Computer Management and then click on Disk Management.  The drivers should be seen there and all you have to do is assign a drive letter to them. 
    27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 18:27
  • Thanks, thats a neat little page, and ill make note of that for future problems.

But it's not even detected there :(

27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 19:03
  • If it's not showing up in disk Management it means Windows isn't seeing it at all.

I presume your drives are SATA and you have a spare SATA port you could switch the data cable to and try that.

What is the exact make, model, and series of you motherboard, or computer?  Do you have the latest BIOS update for the motherboard?

27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 19:53
  • They are all sata.. Ive tried plugging it into a different one :(.. my motherboard is an "asus p5n32-e sli plus".. as for the driver. I don't have a clue, they dont have any drivers at all mentioned for my motherboard that i could find... as for the BIOS.. I need to find out what BIOS I've got and where I can get an update for it :/..(Although BIOS doesnt have a problem detecting the hard drive )

And yeah, windows can't see it at all. not even when installing. But what i dont understand is just 2 days ago when I had XP, it worked fine :(

27 Mayıs 2010 Perşembe 20:08
  • Can the disks be seen by the BIOS?

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    28 Mayıs 2010 Cuma 04:33
  • It might not receive sufficient power. Also, update the BIOS and check if the following suggestions help:

1.     Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2.     Right click on Disk drives, and then click "Scan for hardware changes".

If the issue persists, please attach the disk to another computer with Windows 7 installed and see if it works.

28 Mayıs 2010 Cuma 06:14
  • As I said above, BIOS has NO problems detecting the hard drive, so i don't see how a BIOS update will help :/...

As for scanning for hardware changes.. already tried and no luck there either.

And I don't have another computer with windows 7 on it :/...

I found this post earlier on another topic.(credit to Kougar), who had some similar issues with windows 7 detecting a hard drive.

Problem solved, kinda. SATA hard drives previously used in Intel RAID arrays (and perhaps other RAID controllers too) appear to break something inside the Windows 7 installer.

To get around this "bug" users can install XP onto the hard drive. I had zero problems installing my MSDN copy of XP SP3 to the Seagate hard drives. After I used XP's installer to delete the partitions and make a new one on the drive that seemed to fix the issue. Windows 7 will now detect and install onto the drives as normal, and without any need for AHCI drivers.

This is a major regression in Windows 7. Remember I tried both a quick format and a low-level format INSIDE an active Windows 7 installation, but even then the Windows 7 installer could not see these drives. Yet after installing XP , the Windows 7 installer was able to detect, delete, and create a new partition to install onto, and the XP installer had no problems detecting the drives.

I'm not sure at this stage where to file a bug report, but this is not going to be an insignificant problem. I am now finding other tech enthusiasts with similar problems due to drives previously used in RAID arrays, in fact that was how I got the idea to try XP in the first place.

From what I can make of it, windows 7 doesnt like some hard drives that were formatted in windows xp using certain settings.

So my conclusion is to :

-->Plug another Hard drive into the computer that windows 7 can actually find. Format it USING windows 7.

-->Install XP back onto this harddrive so I can see both of the other hard drives.

--> transfer everyting onto the hard drive that was formatted in windows 7

-->re-install windows 7 xD

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Linda Yan 07 Haziran 2010 Pazartesi 01:44
    28 Mayıs 2010 Cuma 12:57
  • Awesome, I had an old hard drive that had been used in a raid config previosly and WIN7 installer wasn't detecting it.  

After Installing XP on it, the WIN7 installer works great!  Thanks for the tip!

09 Haziran 2010 Çarşamba 07:38
  • i dont understand. installing xp. how do you do that?i have same problem with windows 7 and detecting older hard drives so windows stops everything.
    walter shebib wshebib@cogeco.net its .net so i can save on using bandwith. cheaper that way if you are wondering about my email address.
    28 Aralık 2010 Salı 22:13
  • If the hard disk is not being recognized by the BIOS then there is a hardware fault. Check cables and make sure they are attached properly.

If the BIOS does see the disk then its likely a file system problem.

Elected! Your votes and support have got me my 2010 MVP!

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

28 Aralık 2010 Salı 22:16
  • Hello!

Yes i have a problem something like that.  I have a samsung hd103uj 1tb used as second harddisc.  Bios recognize it and win7 detect it during install.  But when win 7 starts up an go its not there. Never seen anything like it.

So what do i do.  This harddisc has earlier been used in a raid setup. I can find the disk in taskmanager-(does not know the english name). where i see the disk, even format it- change letter and so on but it only last  until next time i start up Pc. Then its gone.

The thing i hope will work and what i do now is wiping the intire disk. 

Sorry my english. 

best regards Hans Haraldsen from Norway

27 Mayıs 2012 Pazar 20:34
  • if that disk was formerly from a RAID array it will need to be partitioned fresh and formatted to be useful as a stand alone volume

use disk manager to partition the disk and format it

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

27 Mayıs 2012 Pazar 22:01
  • If it was so easy to solve the problem i would never post this. Tryed that 10 times. I use acronis disk director before install .  Win 7 during install. Disk manager in win 7. Totally useless all off them.

Hans

28 Mayıs 2012 Pazartesi 15:11
  • Given the BIOS recognizes the disk, but windows cannot do anything suggests a firmware problem on the disk my be causing problems.

That disk is 2007 vintage and it may have a damaged TVS diode that is causing problems.

I had 2x 500 GB disks fail due to the TVS diode failing.

Windows MVP 2011-12, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

28 Mayıs 2012 Pazartesi 17:20
  • good luck. iv got about 10 or so windows has no idea on. it should be that way. brand new and i cannot use. used them before got pc fixed a few times. you got me. give me some ideas. it is usually the hub. windows 7 64 bit is too fussy. iv got a 32 bit with no such problems. if i can help i will. if you can help i would like that. walt here

walter shebib

30 Mayıs 2012 Çarşamba 00:36
  • ill try that disk management. see what happens. dont know how to asign letters though? ill try.

walter shebib

30 Mayıs 2012 Çarşamba 00:41