none
How to Resolve Messaging App Connection Issue

问题

• In Windows 8 RTM I'm running Windows Live Messenger and it connects properly.

While it worked a few days ago, I am presently getting the following error when I try to connect via the Messaging App.

We couldn't send a message because you are not signed in.

When I right-click, the Status menu is grayed out.

In the upper left it says Getting info, though in the upper right it says Connected to Messenger.

Even more confusing, two of my contacts are showing up as Available, Messenger.

Closing the app, by grabbing the top and dragging down, or by right clicking and closing the app from the app switching menu, does not resolve the issue either.

Any suggested next steps?

"We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer

2012年9月26日 14:48

全部回复

• Hi,

If you switch to Messaging app, please wait for a while and then send a messenger for a test.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

2012年9月28日 8:54
  • It's working now - but only after a reboot - and it wasn't working initially after the reboot.

2012年10月1日 15:01
  • Hi,

If you switch to Messaging app, please wait for a while and then send a messenger for a test.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

That's the problem, it never ever connects. You have to reboot in order for it to stop 'Getting info' and be able to send/receive messages.

I'm typically finding this issue after long periods of inactivity, but it's random at best.  I'll wake up some days and it's fine, others and it's toast.

Killing the app in Task Manager does nothing, reboot seems to be the only resolution.

Machine details:  Lenovo T510 with clean Win 8 Enterprise, domain joined. Lenovo Patch, System Interface and Power Management drivers installed (no Lenovo utilities).

2012年10月2日 17:18
  • Luckily you don't *have* to reboot.

This has been a long standing Windows Live issue for me as well. I used to have to kill the wlcomm.exe app. Luckily it looks like this app still exists in Windows 8. It obviously goes by a different name.

First close the Messenger app normally. Open Task Manager -> Details tab. Find LiveComm.exe and click End Task. Reopen the Messenger app. Type away. No reboot or logout necessary :>.

w0rd-driven

2012年10月8日 23:37
  • First close the Messenger app normally. Open Task Manager -> Details tab. Find LiveComm.exe and click End Task. Reopen the Messenger app. Type away. No reboot or logout necessary :>.

I had the opportunity to attempt this today. It didn't work for me. Here we go with the reboot.

• 已建议为答案 Legless 2013年9月1日 1:13
    2012年10月17日 12:53
  • I am experiencing the same behavior.  Waiting does not solve the problem.  Ending the process and restarting messaging does not solve the problem.
    2013年4月8日 21:21
  • I can verify that this solution works for me. I use it several times a week. One thing I'd like to add is that if you look at the LiveComm.exe in the details tab you'l see if has "suspended" next to it. So kill it and restart Messenger and all is well.

The new Windows 8 messaging app is useless compared to the much loved MSN Messenger.  I often miss messages as it doesn't tell me when a new message has arrived if I'm away from  PC for a few minutes. The old messenger would be sitting in my docking bar flashing away. This new pile of crap does nothing. I have to switch to it to see if anything new has arrived...

Cheers

2013年9月1日 1:18