none
BSOD on startup. No Safe Mode Boot Option.

问题

• I've attempted to do some research to solve my problem but have had no luck in it so here I am.

The Story:

I built my computer approx 2 months ago.  Its got an Intel 2600K processor with Windows 7 x64 bit installed.  I installed windows on an OCZ 120GB SSD drive.  Before I headed to class this morning, I turned it on to access some homework files.  I turned it off before going to class.  When I returned, I turned it back on to find that it wouldnt load into windows.  To my knowledge, there was no new update installed when I shut down the computer.

What's Happening:

It will load past the Motherboard/BIOS screen and onto the Windows Flag startup screen.  After a 5-10 seconds at this screen, it'll hit a BSOD for a second or two, dump the files and restart into the cycle all over again.

What I've Tried:

I've looked through the BIOS screen and made sure it was seeing the SSD drive and it was set to priority 1 for booting.  I also did a memory check which it passed.  Since everything was fine, I restarted and got another BSOD.  I then started pressing F8 on start up to try and start in safe mode.  However, when I got to the start up screen, I only had two options which were to do a windows recovery or start windows normally.  Of course, I tried the windows recovery option.  This option began loading windows files and then proceeded to a windows screen with a loading bar near the bottom.  After 10 or so seconds, I received another BSOD but no file dump occured and it just sat there until I did a manual restart.  I also attempted the start windows normally option for S&G (sh**s and giggles) had it acted as expected by going back to the original BSOD and continuing its restart cycle.

Plea for help:

I feel that I have tried everything I could do to fix this on my own and searching through internet files constantly leads me to posts where people try to help you by telling you to do something through the windows start menu.  I obviously cannot access this menu so it's become very frustrating to troubleshoot the issue.  If anyone has a further suggestion for me or if you can direct me to another forum/post with a fix, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you need more information about my system or the error codes, I would be happy to supply them or even post pictures if this forum has that option.

Thank You.

P.S. Unfortunately, I have also misplaced my Windows 7 disk so that is also not available and I'd prefer not to have to buy another OS.

***UPDATE***

I made another random attempt and this time, windows went into a start up repair screen for some reason.  I was away from the computer when it went into it so IDK how it happened.  Anyway,  I clicked on the restore option when it came up and then did a restart when it told me to.  Unfortunately, when it restarted, it went back to what it was doing before (BSOD cycle) so that didnt fix anything either.  I noticed however, that upon pressing F8, I now have many more options to try to start up.  Unfortunately, none of them work.

***UPDATE2***

I made another attempt this morning and found that when I tried one of the F8 startup options (network recovery something or other) it, to my great surprise, loaded my system!  I was ecstatic to say the least.  A few windows popped up.  One told me that my CoreTemp program generated a dump file while another told me that I'd have to restart to save some kind of changes which I pressed "restart later" on.  I don't remember what the other couple were.  When I went to save the dump file onto my HDD, the system restarted itself  without warning before I could navigate to it.  I could not get it to load again.

***UPDATE 3***

After talking to a friend, it was suggested to me that it was a memory problem and to try to replace my RAM modules.  So I did.  I had two 4GB Vengeance modules in and took one out at a time to test them.  Neither worked by themselves whether I tried to startup using safe mode or otherwise.  It so happened that I had an additional two modules that I had never installed when I built my system.  I replaced the old two with the new but nothing changed.  I think it is safe to say that it is not a memory issue.  I've also noticed that the BSOD error code is not specific.  It seems to change after each restart.  I've seen 1E, 7E, A, 16, 1D errors and more.

• 已编辑 Jiftim 2012年2月23日 0:02
    2012年2月22日 4:29

答案

• Alright so I have some news...my system appears to be fixed!!!  Now, I am totally flabbergasted by how this happened but I'll tell you what's been done and maybe one of you can explain it to me. 

Since I was last able to successfully get into the system, I refused to shut it down.  I ran a full scan of Microsoft security essentials which only came up with one item in the backup files on my secondary storage hard drive.  Perhaps this file was in the original system and Windows fixed it the last time it started?  Im not sure since Windows didnt say anything about fixing/deleting a file.   MSE says it was an "Exploit:JS/Blacole.AC" item and removed it.  This seems to be the most logical fix for the issue but it was just some malware. A quick search doesnt make it sound all that bad.  I also ran a full scan of Malwarebytes which came back empty.  Besides that I scheduled a chkdsk and windows memory diagnostic for the next restart. 

When I restarted both ran and came up no errors.  Can post a picture of the chkdsk if necessary.  After they ran, windows started right up and appeared to be fine as it started another 5 consecutive times.  So now it is working.

On a side note and just for fun, I decided to run Memtest yesterday but had difficulties doing it.  For some reason, whenever I would run version 4.0, it would freeze after approx 10 seconds when it finished going through my 4 CPU cores.  I tried to switch the CPU selection to sequential and round robin but I was either never fast enough or it didnt work b/c the system would still freeze.  The only way I could run memtest was to run version 3.5 (or w/e the other version was on the CD).  I noticed this version only used a single CPU core by default and would run fine.  All of my sticks passed as well.  The memtest website has no good FAQ section and searching google came up with nothing so does anyone else know how I can fix this problem to run version 4.0 or is this a common occurrence?

2012年3月1日 0:28

全部回复

• Hi,

Since you can access Windows Recovery Options, I suggest trying following methods.

Try System Restore if any restore point is available.
    Open command prompt, run chkdsk /f /r.

I notice you said the BSOD error codes are not specific, the issue is most likely caused by hardware.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

2012年2月25日 12:24
    版主
  • First of all, thank you very much for the reply.  Unfortunately though I am not able to access a command prompt.  The "safe mode with command prompt" and "windows automatic recovery" options both result in a BSOD.  I was only able to get into it once by shear random luck.  If there is another way, please enlighten me.

In addition, there has been another update since my initial posting:

***UPDATE 4***

I received some diagnostic software from a friend and have been running all kinds of tests. The stand alone memory tests all pass fine.  The other tests usually pass as well but sometimes they do not.  The problems I see from these tests when they dont pass say "Auxiliary processor has failed. CPU (o2h) did not transition to protected mode."  I will try to link to pictures later.

Last night after an 18 hour diagnostic test of my processor and harddrives, I restarted the CPU and let it run all the way through for S&G.  To my surprise, it turned on again.  This time I received no errors and the only pop up told me that the system had been restored to a previous date (2/19 to be exact).  I was extremely ecstatic. Right away, I created a repair disk and made a back up on my network drive (Have an even older back up of when it was first installed on my HDD but can't figure out how to get access to it without being in windows) as well as creating a fresh restore point.  I put it in sleep mode for the night and in the morning it woke right up again and I was happy.  After I did everything I felt I could do to prepare for if it would BSOD again, I did a restart and found the same BSOD problem again.  I put in my repair disk to find that it also generates a BSOD (tested on my laptop though it works perfectly fine).  I am now back to square one.

If it is an hardware issue, I need to know what hardware I need to send back.  Since its only two months old, everything should still be under warranty.  How am I to know which part it is?

Here are some links to the diagnostic test results.  I apologize for the poor quality on some but you will see in them that sometimes parts pass and sometimes they dont.  These particular tests are from a Dell Diagnostics CD:

Processor Cache Passes

Processor Cache Fails

System Board Passes

SSD Passes (except for the self test)

Will add more pictures of tests when they complete again since I didnt take pics of everything the first time. (Complete)

***Update 5***

After running more diagnostic tests for the pictures, I restarted it and once again, it booted into windows with a message shown below in the pictures.  It is now up and I will keep it that way and hopefully someone will have a better idea as to how to fix it permanently.

Error Popup 1

Error Popup 2

• 已编辑 Jiftim 2012年2月26日 18:48
    2012年2月25日 23:18
  • Hi,

I am afraid it is hard to identify which hardware is corruption via the screenshots. There are specific tools to diagnose hardware failure, I suggest you send the computer back to Dell for diagnostic.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

2012年2月27日 9:09
    版主
  • Niki,

Unfortunately, like I said in my OP, I built my computer two months ago (a barebones kit from Tiger Direct +a video card).  It is NOT actually a Dell product.  I used a Dell Diagnostic CD because that's what was given to me by my friend along with other diagnostic CDs.  I posted pictures from the Dell CD b/c it was the most visually appealing and the best all-in-one test CD that I had.  The other diagnostic CDs did give similar results though.

• 已编辑 Jiftim 2012年2月27日 13:42
    2012年2月27日 13:40
  • im not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. do you have a spare hard drive you can use to do a clean install of windows in order to test the system to see if the problem reoccurrs with a clean install?? 

2012年2月28日 1:15
  • Mike,

I will try to run memtest again but not until I decide to shut down my system.  One of the diagnostic CDs I was using had memtest on it but whenever I tried to run it, the system would freeze up.  I could run it fine on my laptop though so I'm thinking its my system.  I had other memory test programs I could run instead though so that's what I did.  Anyway, I downloaded it and put it on its own CD so I'll try that CD when I reboot next.

Bill,

I do have a second hard drive thats 1TB  that I use to store all my games, music, and larger non-essential  programs on.  I'd definitely prefer not to install an OS on it though if I dont have to.  This test you propose also doesnt seem very viable to me.  It took 2 months of use for this issue to occur with my current system.  I definitely dont want to wait another two months just to see if it happens again.  Please let me know if I am looking at this wrong or if you have any other ideas.

2012年2月28日 2:06
  • OK - so the system was fine at first, but after 2 months it started acting up. that leads me to beleive its either a hardware or software issue. one easy way to find out is with a clean build of windows. if you can partition one of the drives and install windows on it that would work too.
    2012年2月28日 15:17
  • Alright so I have some news...my system appears to be fixed!!!  Now, I am totally flabbergasted by how this happened but I'll tell you what's been done and maybe one of you can explain it to me. 

Since I was last able to successfully get into the system, I refused to shut it down.  I ran a full scan of Microsoft security essentials which only came up with one item in the backup files on my secondary storage hard drive.  Perhaps this file was in the original system and Windows fixed it the last time it started?  Im not sure since Windows didnt say anything about fixing/deleting a file.   MSE says it was an "Exploit:JS/Blacole.AC" item and removed it.  This seems to be the most logical fix for the issue but it was just some malware. A quick search doesnt make it sound all that bad.  I also ran a full scan of Malwarebytes which came back empty.  Besides that I scheduled a chkdsk and windows memory diagnostic for the next restart. 

When I restarted both ran and came up no errors.  Can post a picture of the chkdsk if necessary.  After they ran, windows started right up and appeared to be fine as it started another 5 consecutive times.  So now it is working.

On a side note and just for fun, I decided to run Memtest yesterday but had difficulties doing it.  For some reason, whenever I would run version 4.0, it would freeze after approx 10 seconds when it finished going through my 4 CPU cores.  I tried to switch the CPU selection to sequential and round robin but I was either never fast enough or it didnt work b/c the system would still freeze.  The only way I could run memtest was to run version 3.5 (or w/e the other version was on the CD).  I noticed this version only used a single CPU core by default and would run fine.  All of my sticks passed as well.  The memtest website has no good FAQ section and searching google came up with nothing so does anyone else know how I can fix this problem to run version 4.0 or is this a common occurrence?

2012年3月1日 0:28