none
Rolling back to Windows 7 after upgrading to Windows fails in the last step

问题

• On an experiment, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8 Release Preview and then trying to revert to original Windows 7 by following the steps mentioned here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

To summarize, this is what I did:

1. Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 8

2. Rebooted the computer using Windows 8 setup disk

3. Went in to repair mode

4. Moved Program Files and Windows folder in to a temp folder

5. Restored Program Files, Users Folder and Windows Folder back to the root

6. Restarted computer

Now, all Windows 7 system files are back to the original locations and Windows 7 should be back to how it was before upgrading.

Everything went through the fine and the Windows 7 came back. I could see the Windows 7 login screen and entered the login credentials. But then it detected that I was doing an upgrade to Windows 8 and said "Windows 8 upgrade failed".

After I closed the error window, Windows 7 gave me another error: 

"An unauthorized change has been made to windows Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality."

This indicates some hidden file was left over when I moved system files to temp folder and moved the original files back to the root.

Any suggestions what could be those references?

Please note this is an experiment of a Windows enthusiast on a virtual machine. My aim is to come up with a strategy to revert to Windows 7 and not actually to get my original Windows 7 back.

• 已编辑 T-John 2012年6月18日 6:06
    2012年6月18日 6:04

全部回复

• I am afraid that this is not correct procedure. KB does not mention Windows 8. I would recover Windows 7 from backup.

Regards

Milos

2012年6月18日 6:51
  • Agreed. KB does not mention Windows 8 but I am trying to adapt the process for Windows 8 to Windows 7.

My aim is not to rollback to Windows 7, but is to find the process to rollback to Windows 7.

2012年6月18日 7:10
  • Hi,

Regarding Step 5, please try the following command to restore the boot sector for the Windows 7 installation. Your efforts are great appreciated.

bcdboot C:\Windows

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are
    TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

2012年6月19日 7:33
    版主
  • Niki Han,

I just tried your tips and ran the command bcdboot c:\Windows. However, it did not make a difference. I am getting the exact same error after Logging in to Windows 7 at the end of the restore process.

2012年6月19日 8:16
  • Hi,

Can you boot in Safe Mode? Please also try the startup repair.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

2012年6月21日 6:44
    版主
  • Hi,

Any update on the current situation?

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere

Niki Han

2012年6月26日 6:15
    版主
  • I was able to boot in Safe Mode, but I got a message like this:

2012年6月26日 11:18
  • I was able to browse through some applications when I booted in Safe Mode. However, when I restarted the computer again in normal mode, it gave the exact same problem - showed Windows 8 upgrade failed.

So, somewhere it is still holding a reference to the information that we were performing an upgrade to Windows 8 and did not complete it.

When booted from the DVD and restored all Windows 7 system files from the command prompt, performed the command "bcdboot",  when I exited the command prompt, I could see the option "Exit and Go back to Windows 7" even though my computer was running on "Windows 8". This means, the system recognized the command "bcdboot" and boot system was setup to use Windows 7.

2012年6月26日 11:27
  • Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here

Niki Han

2012年7月2日 2:52
    版主
  • Hi, 

Currently we suggest install parallel Windows 8 manually with following steps:

1. Find the boot drive of your computer: Run “Diskmgmt.msc” and find the “System drive”. Add drive letter for it. (For example S: ), then run commands by “Run As Administrator”

Takeown /F:S:\bootmgr icacls S:\bootmgr /grant Administrator:F attrib -S -H S:\bootmgr Ren S:\bootmgr bootmgr.bak

Copy the “Bootmgr” and BootNXT” from my shared folder to S:\

2. Create a boot entry for “Windows 8 Consumer Preview”. Open a command prompt by “Run As Administrator”.

bcdedit /copy {Current} /d "Windows 8 Consumer Preview"

After that, get the GUID and call “/set” to configure the boot drive. 

3. Copy Install.wim to a temp folder, make sure your D drive have more than 10G free space (No need to remove old files), run Imagex to apply the OS, (Need 12 minutes). Please make sure there’s no BitLocker in D drive.

Imagex /apply C:\temp\install.wim 1 D:\

4. Reboot and enjoy your Windows 8. 

Thanks. 

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

2012年7月2日 6:48
  • Kevin,

I am afraid you did not get the point of this experiment. I was trying to find a process to rollback to Window 7 after upgrading to Windows 8, by adapting the process mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

I am not an end user who is trying to get my computer working.. but I am a developer who is trying to find the process to revert to back to Windows 7 after upgrading to Windows 8.

2012年7月2日 7:09
  • First check there us Windows.old folder.

second put the windows 7 installation disk click repair your computer and in the system recovery option window, click the version of the windows operating system that you want to repair.

Thank you.

• 已建议为答案 N.Kugan 2012年7月9日 9:24
    • 取消建议作为答案 N.Kugan 2012年7月9日 9:24
    2012年7月2日 7:46
  • Hi, have you seen this one already? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/e4a090b8-67b3-47d9-a0df-c02d360dce70/

If you don't have a backup of your previous Windows 7 installation that you can return to you will need to reinstall Windows 7. If you perform a custom installation of Windows 7 on the partition that currently contains Windows Developer Preview and your Windows.old folder, you may be able to retrieve your personal files by following the steps provided in the link below under the "If your previous operating system was Windows Vista" section (The Windows Vista process will be very similar to the Windows.old folder created by an old Windows 7 installation):
    How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7

Note: you may also want to backup the Windows.old folder from your current Windows Developer Preview installation so that you have a backup in case something were to happen to your current Windows.old folder when you reinstall Windows 7.

My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn

2012年7月2日 13:45
  • I performed pretty much the same steps to restored Windows 7. I was able to successfully restore all old files. 

The problem comes after that. It successfully starts Windows 7, but later it says "Windows 8 upgrade failed"

So, even though I restored all the old files and got the Windows 7 back, there is some reference left somewhere that makes the computer think that I was running Windows 8.  That is what I am trying to figure out.

2012年7月9日 5:01
  • Have a look at this post: http://pureinfotech.com/2011/10/10/how-to-uninstall-windows-8-developer-preview-and-restore-windows-7-step-by-step/

Can you confirm if you followed all steps mentioned in this post?

My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn

2012年7月9日 8:05
  • I hadn't seen that post before but that is exactly what I have been doing. Everything worked fine as said in the blog but after logging in to Windows 7, it reports that "Failed to complete installation of Windows 8", which is very strange.

Just one a side note, I am able to start and use Windows 7 in safe mode after rolling back from Windows 8. Only in normal mode, Windows is detecting that I was using Windows 8 and there was some problem. I am guessing some kind of protection in Windows is preventing me from changing the system files.

2012年7月9日 10:42
  • I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and may be others are using a different edition, which worked for them. Does Windows 7 Ultimate has any additional security built in that prevent changes to system folder?
    • 已编辑 T-John 2012年8月5日 1:32
    2012年8月5日 1:31