none
Windows Azure - Problems adding trusted Certificate on Cloud Server

Question

• Hi

I am running my Web Role through SSL and am having trouble getting my Cloud server to trust my certificate. I created a self signed certificate and wonder how I should add it as trusted through MMC or is there a another easier way?

I managed to do so locally (not getting the cert error when running https in the browser) but am not sure how to do it on the "cloud server". Locally I just copied the certificate from local machine under personal/certificates to "Trusted Root Cert...". I have made sure that the certificate was added through the management portal in azure and also published the code to the server using the very same thumbprint (certification) so that the same certificate is both on my local system as well as my cloud server. Note that the picture from MMC below is from my local machine...

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my understanding, if you have set the SSL certificate in mmc.exe and add it in Visual Studio role's properties tab, after you deploy the application on cloud, the certificate will upload to Azure VM automatically. Do you need an easier way to do this?

BR,

Arwind 

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, June 18, 2012 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

It is uploaded to the Azure WM but I want it to be trusted so that I dont get the problem as in the picture below.. I have managed to do this on my local machine but not in the WM. Do I do this through MMC, and if so how?

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Hi,

Try to install the certificate in "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" root direcory, if you not do this, SSL will think you are not the trusted user.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi Arwind,

To be sure, which of the following certificate snap-ins should I use? I have tried Computer Account and added it to the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities/Certificates" folder but still it didn't work. Maybe I should use "Service Account" and if so which account to use?  

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:38 AM
  • is it even possible to set a self-signed certificate as trusted in the VM or do I have to have a certifiate from a valid Certificate Authority and use a domain of my own rather than the *.cloudapp.net domain?
    Monday, June 18, 2012 1:09 PM