none
Migrate and deploy legacy web application to Azure

Question

• I have a web application build in VS.NET2008 Target Framework 3.5. Now how can I migrate and deploy.

1. My Application runs on IIS6.
    2. In order to migrate without moving to VS.NET2010 or .Net Framework 4.0 can I migrate and deploy?
    3. How can I handle the session state?
    4. How to add web role and worker role into my project?
    5. Where to get the SDK for VS.NET2008 Target Framework 3.5?
    6.  Minimum alteration to my existing the web application so that it will function in the cloud?
    7.  Set up your Windows Azure instance in preparation for the application?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 12:28 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as i know, Azure 1.3 and later SDK will not support VS2008. Does your application has something can not migrate to higher version of .NET Framwork? Would you like to introduce them? I think .net 3.5 application can also works in Azure VM, but you can not use latest Azure SDK.

Another workaround is VS2010 + .NET Framework 3.5.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Friday, June 08, 2012 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The migration can be done either two ways

I think there's no way to publish web project to the cloud using VS2008. Migrating into VS2012 would be the easiest thing for you as it has a simple publish button that does everything automatically. You can still have .NET 3.5 and you'll not need to do any change to your regular web app. To have insight about that I recommend watching this video about how to deploy regular MVC app to the cloud.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Thanks but our solution has more than 80 projects and we have assemblies,dlls and our web application supports .net framework 2.0 & 3.5 but the namespaces along with legacy syntaxes would be obsolete if we migrate to vs.net2010 target framework 4.0 then it would be a mammoth job for manual conversion and tedious job since everything cannot be done automatically.

I have already used the Azure beta version which supported VS.Net2008 and it has the SDK.Now won't Azure support backward compatibility? Or if I can use that SDK and try to deploy in present Azure?Will it support?

Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Hello,

As far as i know, Azure 1.3 and later SDK will not support VS2008. Does your application has something can not migrate to higher version of .NET Framwork? Would you like to introduce them? I think .net 3.5 application can also works in Azure VM, but you can not use latest Azure SDK.

Another workaround is VS2010 + .NET Framework 3.5.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Friday, June 08, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Thanks, but I have 70 Project which includes a website,individual projects,classes, I'm using Custom MVP pattern. First I have created a Azure cloud application and then I created ASP.NET Web Application and manually added all the .aspx page and folders then I included all the folders and files.

1. I'm using VS2010 and target framework is 3.5. It prompted to upgrade but the target framework is 3.5.
    2. but unfortunately I cannot add App_WebReference since our application Call WCF and Web service.
    3. I'm using DHTML controls and simple HTML tags as a client side but the HTML controls which are marked as runat="server" is not recognized in the code behind.
    4. I could not find App_Code so I created a folder by the name and then copied all my class files and then I selected build Action as Compile time instead of Content which seems to be working fine.

Please let me know if I'm going wrong or there is a better way to convert. I have to complete this work ASAP.

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

1, Yes, when you try to use VS2010 to open 08 project files, the visual studio requires upgrade but target framework is still the same, you can change it manually.

2, What's exception do you get when add reference? Can you view the service url in browser and it's display correctly?

3, try this code in visual studio and i can get "ax" text control in code-behind file:

<input id="ax" type=text runat=server />

4, "App_Code" ASP.NET folder is not the default folder in VS2010, but you add it manually.

Hope this helps.

Friday, June 15, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Thanks but I have another issue.I have two Projects and I want to redirect from one project to another using Response.Redirect but it is throwing 404 error. If possible I want to open by default my migrated application instead of default project created when I choose cloud from the template of visual stidio2010. Please let me know how to do it that instead of default created application my application would be opened in cloud. I have two roles. and the second project using Connectionstring but I'm facing to connect from cloud but locally I can connect the cloud db.

I.

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:25 PM