Remove Active Directory from Azure

Question

• How do you delete the AD so you can rename it, I selected the name and selected delete , the status goes through the motions but, after leaving it for an hour, it is still active...........

Any help appreciated

Dray

Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• Dray,

First, remember this is a peer-peer community forum. There may be MSFT involvement here, but like BTL, it's not guaranteed! Stack Overvlow is another Peer-Peer community site - and it's disappointing you did not get a better answer there.

AAD is a product that, IMHO at least, is still in its infancy. It's great for providing authentication to cloud services like O365, but, again IMHO, not a full scale replacement for an on-premise AD. I do, on the other hand, expect that to change.

As to blowing away an AAD instance, you really need to contact service. Not paying for it is one way to ensure that <grin>. Depending on which services you are taking, support is, AIUI, still free. Although this might change.

One thought - just create a new instance and ignore the old one.

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Dray,

I too am also in the same boat as you and many others. Unfortunately there is no way as of right now to remove the Directory or rename. This is the way the stack is built right now.

See article: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16056715/how-to-delete-or-rename-an-azure-active-directory

Will keep an eye on it! There will soon be a solution.

Adnan Cartwright

Saturday, April 27, 2013 6:13 PM
  • I would raise a service request for this.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Hi guys thanks for the reply , gave up on this , created a new subscription, even contacted one of the azure support team , need to chase him up, I really getting quite pissed on where this info should be posted, I have posted on stack flow, and received  an off topic message , I'm interested in infrastructure areas of azure , not office or creating a website,and don't find it reassuring that no one from MS hasn't chimed in, and replied, yes you get support if you pay for it.

@ Thomas , hi mate you haven't got one of your powershell scripts in you little black box, so I can blow AD away, comeon mate I'll buy you a drink at mct event ;-).

dre

Dray

• Edited by Dray -B2sq1 Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:41 PM
    Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Dray,

First, remember this is a peer-peer community forum. There may be MSFT involvement here, but like BTL, it's not guaranteed! Stack Overvlow is another Peer-Peer community site - and it's disappointing you did not get a better answer there.

AAD is a product that, IMHO at least, is still in its infancy. It's great for providing authentication to cloud services like O365, but, again IMHO, not a full scale replacement for an on-premise AD. I do, on the other hand, expect that to change.

As to blowing away an AAD instance, you really need to contact service. Not paying for it is one way to ensure that <grin>. Depending on which services you are taking, support is, AIUI, still free. Although this might change.

One thought - just create a new instance and ignore the old one.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 12:54 PM
  • BTL is stuffed , and i wouldn't hold my breath in getting any response on that site, the people are their but the heart is gone.

As for azure support

No freebies  support link https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/plans/

So why have the option to delete ? and also give a status update to the user , this worries me & my clients...

Dray

Thursday, May 02, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Agreed about BTL but that's a different org with an unrelated set of issues. With respect to AAD...

If you are on the free plan, then yes, you appear to get no assistance from MS. I'd have thought that if you are using this in production, you and more importantly your clients, would be on the paid plan. But that's a separate issue. In the mean time, you do have access to this forum, but given the nature of your question, we'll have to wait for a MS employee to be able to really answer that. I'm doing the best I can here, but I do not have access to the internal strategy for AAD going foreward.

My assumption about the delete button is to enable you to delete an AAD instance, like you can other Azure apps. I just tested creating then deleting a domain and it appears to work as I'd expect. As to why this is there, well why not? There are domains created that, for good business reasons, are no longer needed and can be removed. And since, at least in theory, AAD is a chargable service, if you have domains you no longer need, deleting them can cut your bill!

I am not sure what you mean about the status update. But I am not clear on why the option to delete an AAD domain should worry you or your clients. The Azure control panel is a powerfull too - and assumes you know what you are doing!

HTH

Thomas

Sunday, May 05, 2013 11:17 AM
  • It's pretty crazy that you can't delete a WAAD instance within the portal

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:41 PM
  • It looks like you can create and delete the actual AD namespaces just fine. Not sure why the overall directory account can't be deleted.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 12:47 PM
  • If the option wasn't there  and you needed azure support to do it, I could understand that, even a notification  like other WA features ,but it lets you goes through the motions, that's seriously wrong , my intention for azure are sccm based, and i have found no answer yet, I'm waiting for an email back from the WA Team.

Dray

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:05 PM
  • ...An Azure Active Directory is created and shared among all your subscriptions where you are the Service Administrator of...

This imposes a challenge:

#1 When migrating data between subscriptions, the first requirement from the support team is having the same service administrator

#2 When you create a brand new subscription, and use the same service administrator account the Active Directory also in the new subscription

#3 When migrating data between subscriptions, the target subscription must be empty

#1+#2 != #3

Sander Nefs

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:42 PM
  • When is suppose Microsoft is going to do something about this?!
    Friday, December 06, 2013 11:44 AM