none
Moving the system partition

السؤال

• On a fresh install of Server 2012 Essentials I ended up with the following:

The DATA drive was from my old WHS v1 server - I installed to allow me to migrate the data to the new storage space. The problem is that it has been set up as the system partition and I want to reuse it for something else. My plan is the following:

1. I have created a 1GB volume on the same disk as my Windows boot volume
    2. Tag this new volume as Active
    3. Reboot the server using the install image (USB stick) and perform a boot recovery to install the necessary components to enable this new volume to take over as the system partition

Will this work, or does the system partition have to lie first on the disk?

Bonus question: How do I set up this new system partition as a Windows Recovery Environment?

19/محرم/1434 02:49 م

الإجابات

• Just to close this off, here is what I ended up doing (after much trial & error):

1. Created a full system backup and a baremetal system recovery backup on different media (belt & suspenders - did not want to take any chances).
    2. Booted into recovery mode (off the install USB key) and used diskpart.exe to repartition Disk 0 with a 1GB system partition followed by the remainder as an empty primary partition.
    3. Ran a full install process to get the proper boot files laid down in the new system partition
    4. Booted into recovery mode and ran wbadmin.exe manually to restore the original C: volume to the new location (using system recovery would not work as the sizes of the available partitions did not match the originals).
    5. Back in business

The final task to get back to normal operation was to uninstall and reinstall the connector software from the PCs that had previously been added to the system - for some reason they did not recognize the restored server.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Nolan Evans 29/محرم/1434 08:29 م
    29/محرم/1434 08:29 م

جميع الردود

• Hi,

You might be able to get away with moving the current C: drive along 1GB and inserting a system partition there.

Also with something like http://www.minitool-partitionrecovery.com/ you should be able to split your drive E:, move the data from it out onto a new partition so you are left with a 1GB System Partition then COPY it to Disk 0 before C: and set it as active.  I would expect it too boot as the system data is still pointing to the Boot drive but you might have to do a bit of BCDEDIT'ing to point to the correct recovery and memory test locations.

Good luck - good time to a backup :-)

Cheers,

Al

-- Free AV for WHSv1 : http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/ ---- The add-in won't work on WHS 2011/2

20/محرم/1434 06:06 م
  • I think I would copy off enough to allow me shrink the partition "data" to be smaller than the partition C, then backup "data" with any well known imaging system, remove all the drives from the system except C, restore to C, verify it boots and works, then put back the other drives and re-purpose.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

24/محرم/1434 02:09 ص
  • Just to close this off, here is what I ended up doing (after much trial & error):

1. Created a full system backup and a baremetal system recovery backup on different media (belt & suspenders - did not want to take any chances).
    2. Booted into recovery mode (off the install USB key) and used diskpart.exe to repartition Disk 0 with a 1GB system partition followed by the remainder as an empty primary partition.
    3. Ran a full install process to get the proper boot files laid down in the new system partition
    4. Booted into recovery mode and ran wbadmin.exe manually to restore the original C: volume to the new location (using system recovery would not work as the sizes of the available partitions did not match the originals).
    5. Back in business

The final task to get back to normal operation was to uninstall and reinstall the connector software from the PCs that had previously been added to the system - for some reason they did not recognize the restored server.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Nolan Evans 29/محرم/1434 08:29 م
    29/محرم/1434 08:29 م