Problems migrating or moving VMs from one Node to another

Dotaz

• I have an R2 Hyper-V cluster running on Datacenter 2008 R2 with 2 nodes, with identical hardware on both.  They are sharing a LUN on our SAN for storage of the VMs.  We've had the cluster working for about a month now.  I am having problems moving VMs from one node to the other.  Before I setup the cluster we had 2 standalone Hyper-V servers that are now part of the cluster.  There were about 50 VMs in total on those 2 servers that are now part of the cluster.  Quick migrations, live migrations, and moves (when powered off) of these work perfectly.  However, every VM that I created after the Cluster was in place will not migrate or move properly.  I created these new VMs through the Failover Cluster Manager > HyperVCluster > Services and applications > Virtual Machines > New Virtual Machine > etc...

When I do a live migration, quick migration, or simple move when one of the new VMs are powered off I have problems with the Network adapter in the Hyper-V settings on that VM.  I get one of these 3 errors.  1.) The network adapter for the VM shows, "Configuration Error" after it is moved.  Live migration and quick migration fail on these.  2.) The "Enable virtual LAN identification" is unchecked and the wrong "VLAN ID" is there.  3.) A totally different network is selected for the network. 

If I move/migrate the VM back to the other node, where it was originally created, the network settings come back, but if I move it to the other node again, they are changed.  It is as if the VM settings are different between nodes, which doesn't make sense.  Why is this happening?  Please help.  Thanks.

11. června 2010 13:16

Odpovědi

• http://blogs.technet.com/b/iftekhar/archive/2009/05/20/hyper-v-r2-enhancements-continues.aspx 

The Bolded line below is the answer.

2. VM Settings from Cluster Manager:

Directly from the Failover Cluster Manager console, you can now make changes to VM settings.  When using the Failover Cluster Manager to change the VM settings, it will automatically refresh the VM’s configuration.  However, if you change the settings using Hyper-V manager, you still must select the VM in Cluster Manager and choose ‘more actions’  -> ‘Refresh virtual machine configuration’ to ensure that the configuration for the VM in the cluster is correct.

For a clustered VM, changing the VM settings from Cluster Manager is the recommended way to manage configuration changes.  This will ensure the VM configuration is refreshed in the cluster.

• Označen jako odpověď wsual 11. června 2010 18:31
    11. června 2010 18:31

Všechny reakce

• Update:

It appears there is a problem changing the network configuration settings after a VM is created and storing them so they stick permanently.  I took a VM that existed before the cluster was created and it did migrations in the cluster fine and shut it down.  I then changed the vlan and the vlan tag, applied the settings and moved it to node 2 and the changes reverted back.  Then I changed the vlan and vlan tag again and moved it back to node 1 and the changes reverted back again.  Any ideas?

11. června 2010 16:12
  • http://blogs.technet.com/b/iftekhar/archive/2009/05/20/hyper-v-r2-enhancements-continues.aspx 

The Bolded line below is the answer.

2. VM Settings from Cluster Manager:

Directly from the Failover Cluster Manager console, you can now make changes to VM settings.  When using the Failover Cluster Manager to change the VM settings, it will automatically refresh the VM’s configuration.  However, if you change the settings using Hyper-V manager, you still must select the VM in Cluster Manager and choose ‘more actions’  -> ‘Refresh virtual machine configuration’ to ensure that the configuration for the VM in the cluster is correct.

For a clustered VM, changing the VM settings from Cluster Manager is the recommended way to manage configuration changes.  This will ensure the VM configuration is refreshed in the cluster.

• Označen jako odpověď wsual 11. června 2010 18:31
    11. června 2010 18:31