none
Hide Programs and Features, but still run from Command Line?

Dotaz

• Hi,

I need to be able to run "Programs and Features" from the command line (or some other way) as an Administrator.

i.e. Our ServiceDesk RDP to a Users PC, where the "Programs and Features" is hidden/disabled. The ServiceDesk users account is a local admin on all domain PCs. So my idea was to run appwiz.cpl from command line. This doesn't work.

The only way I have accomplished this is to run CMD as an Administrator and enter an Admin account (Domain Admin) in the UAC prompt.

Is there a way with GPO to hide the Control Panel entry but still use from command line etc?

26. března 2012 11:26

Odpovědi

• Hi,

Please use GPMC.log to verify there is no related policy setting or script:

GPMC.log
    ==================
    a.    On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.
    b.    Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

In addition, please try to use the following policy setting to hide specified Control Panel items

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\hide specified Control Panel items

http://gps.cloudapp.net/Default.aspx?PolicyID=4694

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

TechNetSubscriber Support

If you are TechNetSubscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

27. března 2012 7:42

Všechny reakce

• Am 26.03.2012 13:26, schrieb Peter Cashen:
    > Is there a way with GPO to hide the Control Panel entry but still use
    > from command line etc?

The problem is not the technic, the problem is: Why does this Policy
    apply to your support stuff? Even in Loopback and RDP you can filter
    this settings.

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage:       www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    GPO Tool:       www.reg2xml.com - Registry Export File Converter
    NetworkTrayTool www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/tools/Networktraytool.htm

26. března 2012 11:51
  • Believe me... this isn't my choice!

The way I see it, if the support staff are good enough to get paid to do their jobs, then they should have access to the tools they need!

Thats not the way management see it unfortunately...

Therefore, I need to use UAC to control things... so what I want is Programs and Features to not be disabled, just hidden... and obviously if the user managed to get to the add remove programs part, they would be prompted for UAC.

Unless anyone can offer another way?

26. března 2012 13:15
  • You can always use the GPO : Hide Control Pannel items using the canonical name from here : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee330741(VS.85).aspx. You then assign the GPO to All users and Deny apply to Administrators.

" Never panic before reboot ! "

• Upravený Voldar 26. března 2012 16:51
    26. března 2012 16:50
  • Hi,

Please use GPMC.log to verify there is no related policy setting or script:

GPMC.log
    ==================
    a.    On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.
    b.    Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

In addition, please try to use the following policy setting to hide specified Control Panel items

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\hide specified Control Panel items

http://gps.cloudapp.net/Default.aspx?PolicyID=4694

Hope this helps!

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

TechNetSubscriber Support

If you are TechNetSubscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Elytis Cheng

27. března 2012 7:42
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Elytis Cheng

Elytis Cheng

2. dubna 2012 9:35