Monitors cease to sleep after login: WS2k8 (x64) Enterprise R2, Intel Core2 2.4gHz, nVidia 8800 GTX - dual dvi out, nVidia 8400 GS - mix dvi/vga out, all-dvi monitors on.

Dotaz

• Because this problem occurs on Windows Server 2008 64-bit and not on Vista 64-bit (same box), I'm posting it here and not in a hardware discussion. So I'm actually looking for some sympathy. It's easiest to describe the disparaging behavior in terms of the useful functionality found in the Vista 64-bit install, so I'll use that OS to compare what I want to what I'm getting:

Three monitors, all on DVI out from two cards, one, the main as primary on the 8800, the other two to each side, one on the secondary of the 8800 and the other on the only DVI out of the 8400, at power-on go through a couple of phases. The main monitor is hot from the get-go, goes through the boot with bios and then reduced-rez msdos screen logos. The two wing monitors then become hot and show no background BUT are actually displaying mouse cursor if the mouse is repositioned, EVEN when, as now, the main display is showing the grey WS2k8 startup logo and various display messages.

At this stage, the user is waiting for the ALT+CTRL+DEL message to display. Moving the mouse cursor throughout the three-screen desktop results in visible cursor on both sides of the main though it doesn't display on the grey logo yet. And here's the behavior I'm actually looking for: when the cursor leaves the wing monitor, the monitor sleeps (and by sleep I mean conserves energy instantaneously by dimming to black)! Moving the cursor from one wing to the other alternately lights up each secondary monitor.

Once the ALT+CTRL+DEL is entered, the logon dialog allows the user to type in his password, the user's desktop environment is prepared, and the final main desktop eventually is displayed. SINCE THE typing of the password entrains the cursor, the previous position of the mouse (possibly in those wings ...) makes the secondary space blank so both monitors always go into conserve mode at this final phase.

Vista 64-bit:

Moving the mouse to a secondary monitor (using the mouse here ... COULD open a window and move the window to a secondary monitor space and achieve the same effect) LIGHTS UP the monitor and the cursor becomes visible. NOT talking watching the continuity LED of the secondary monitor turn on and off here, OK?! We're seeing the cursor run around under mouse movement. AND if the cursor is removed from that space, the monitor returns IMMEDIATELY to conserve mode by dimming to black. 

Windows Server 2k8 64-bit:

Moving the mouse to a secondary monitor LIGHTS UP the monitor with the cursor under mouse control. BUT, removing the cursor from the monitor space results in NO CONSERVE state change to the display! The montor remains in full electronic current lit mode. And refuses to return to lowest power state for the duration of the power-on to the box.

Anybody?

Current workaround:

Power-off each secondary monitor manually.

3. června 2010 20:37

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

Your problem may not be the same with the following one, but I think the explanation in the "How could you possibly ship Hyper-V with this issue?  Did you not test this product?" section also applies:

Understanding High-End Video Performance Issues with Hyper-V
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/11/16/understanding-high-end-video-performance-issues-with-hyper-v.aspx

Video performance may decrease when a Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 based computer has the Hyper-V role enabled and an accelerated display adapter installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961661/en-us

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    7. června 2010 8:54
  • On July 1st we will be making this forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

7. června 2010 8:55
  • Hyper-V role is not enabled.

Installing a default svga driver is certainly not a solution. The video resolution taking the "awake" monitors hit as I describe it above is in 32-bit resolution with many millions of colors.

Such a workaround would reduce the res to something like 256 colors @ 600 x 800, that on only one monitor. 

8. června 2010 5:19
  •  

I know your problem is not the same with that one.

My point is there may be no solution for this problem.

"When the issue was determined to be a specific result of the combination of the Hyper-V hypervisor and the Nvidia driver – we decided to leave things as they were for a couple of reasons:

Windows Server does not include any video drivers other than the SVGA driver by default

Windows Server will not install a high-end video driver automatically at any stage – you need to manually install the Windows 7 drivers

Also, Hyper-V was being developed solely for server virtualization and:

We have always recommended that nothing be run in the management operating system, other than basic management tools

No server workload that we tested generated anywhere near the rate of TLB flushing that these video drivers cause

"

Thanks.

9. června 2010 2:57
  • To Whom It May Concern,

I unmarked the above answer. I asked this question and found the answer to it myself.

1. července 2010 17:13