none
Sever 2008 R2 Licesning Server Require Roles

Dotaz

• I have two WS2008R2 servers, I am configuring one as TS License Server (its also DC) and other one as a Terminal server. I have installed only Remote Desktop Licensing Role on TS License Server. RD Session  host Role installed on Terminal Server.

1. Still Do i need to install RD Session Host role on License Server?

2. I received following Warning event, on License server. I have verified as mentioned DC-201 and Network service is member of TS License server Group. What could be the problem?

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing
    Event ID:      4105
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      dc-201.domain.local
    Description:
    The Remote Desktop license server cannot update the license attributes for user "user1" in the Active Directory Domain "domain.local". Ensure that the computer account for the license server is a member of Terminal Server License Servers group in Active Directory domain "domain.local".
    If the license server is installed on a domain controller, the Network Service account also needs to be a member of the Terminal Server License Servers group.
    If the license server is installed on a domain controller, after you have added the appropriate accounts to the Terminal Server License Servers group, you must restart the Remote Desktop Licensing service to track or report the usage of RDS Per User CALs.
    Win32 error code: 0x80070005

25. června 2012 18:13

Odpovědi

• Hi,

Below are the revised instructions:

In order to correct the 4105 errors, please complete the following steps (instructions assume your AD schema is 2003), some steps you have already done but I include them for completeness sake:

1. Logon to your Server 2008 R2 DC as an administrator
    2. Start--Run--adsiedit.msc
    3. In the left pane, navigate to where the OU for your users is located
    4. In the left pane, right-click on CN=<Your OU> and choose Properties
    5. On the Security tab, click the Advanced button
    6. Click the Add button, type Terminal Server License Servers and click OK
    7. On the Properties tab, select Descendant User objects in the Apply onto box
    8. In the Permissions box, select Allow for all of the following:

Read terminalServer
    Write terminalServer

9. Click OK, and click OK again to save your changes
    10. Using Active Directory Users and Computers, make sure that NETWORK SERVICE and the DC's computer account are a member of the Terminal Server License Servers Builtin group.
    11. Start--Run--services.msc, right-click on the Remote Desktop Licensing, choose Restart

Please test by having a standard user logon to your RDS server.  After the user has logged on, check the event logs of the DC server, there should not be a event id 4105 Warning for the user in the System log, and there should be a event id 4143 Information entry for the user under Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing/Admin log. 

In the past people have reported that the rights from the OU are not applied to certain users, for example, administrator.  If this happens to you, manually add the rights to the specific user object using adsiedit similar to how I explained above.

-TP

28. června 2012 10:20

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

No, you do not need RDSH Role Service on your RD Licensing server.

In order to correct the 4105 errors, please complete the following steps (instructions assume your AD schema is 2008), some steps you have already done but I include them for completeness sake:

Read msTSExpireDate
    Write msTSExpireDate
    Read msTSLicenseVersion
    Write msTSLicenseVersion
    Read msTSManagingLS
    Write msTSManagingLS

10. Using Active Directory Users and Computers, make sure that NETWORK SERVICE and the DC's computer account are a member of the Terminal Server License Servers Builtin group.
    11. Start--Run--services.msc, right-click on the Remote Desktop Licensing, choose Restart

Please test by having a standard user logon to your RDS server.  After the user has logged on, check the event logs of the DC server, there should not be a event id 4105 Warning for the user in the System log, and there should be a event id 4143 Information entry for the user under Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Licensing/Admin log. 

In the past people have reported that the rights from the OU are not applied to certain users, for example, administrator.  If this happens to you, manually add the rights to the specific user object using adsiedit similar to how I explained above.

If your AD schema is 2003 please let me know and I will give you revised instructions.

Thanks.

-TP

26. června 2012 2:15
  • My AD Schema is 2003. Could you please provide me revised instruction.

Suresh

26. června 2012 14:01
  • Hi,

Below are the revised instructions:

In order to correct the 4105 errors, please complete the following steps (instructions assume your AD schema is 2003), some steps you have already done but I include them for completeness sake:

Read terminalServer
    Write terminalServer

-TP

28. června 2012 10:20
  • Thanks for the information.

I Followed your instruction AD Schema 2003 Steps. But Still i am getting same error.

Error ID: 4105 .

Thanks

Suresh

28. června 2012 19:10
  • Hi,

1. Is this only for certain user accounts, or all user accounts?  Please manually add the rights to the specific user object using adsiedit similar to how I explained above.  In other words, you are granting the Terminal Server License Servers group the permissions on specific user objects whereas above you were doing it for the entire OU.

2. If you follow the steps I gave you for 2008 AD schema, do you see msTSExpireDate, msTSLicenseVersion, msTSManagingLS in the list?  If you see these it means your schema is 2008.

Please reply back and let me know your results.

Thanks.

-TP

28. června 2012 19:19
  • Hi,

Yes, i can see msTSExpireDate, msTSLicenseVersion, msTSManagingLS and additionally i can see on each category with four numbers Like( msTSExpireDate01, msTSExpireDate02, msTSExpireDate03, msTSExpireDate04)

Thanks

Suresh

28. června 2012 19:26
  • Hi,

Please complete the instructions I gave you for 2008 schema.

Thanks.

-TP

28. června 2012 19:28
  • I have completed both Steps (2003 and 2008 Schema), Additionally I found Terminal server(TSvr01) was not part of Terminal server built-in Group and added TSVR01 to the group.

Then restarted TS License service. Still i am receiving same error.

Terminal Server and License server located on different site. will this impact anything.

Suresh

Suresh

30. června 2012 1:10