none
Centos 6.2 Kernel Panics

Dotaz

• I have upgraded, via yum, to Centos 6.2 from 6.0.  I am experiencing panics on the two latest kernels, 2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64 and 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64.  I uninstalled the 3.2 integration components and reinstalled them under 2.6.32-71.  There are a number of warnings generated for the newer kernels:

1:kmod-microsoft-hyper-v ########################################### [100%]
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_close
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket_raw
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_open
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol prep_negotiate_resp
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_close
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_open
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol x86_hyper
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol ms_hyperv
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_close
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket_raw
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_open
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko needs unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_driver_unregister
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol prep_negotiate_resp
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_sendpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_close
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_recvpacket
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol vmbus_open
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko needs unknown symbol __vmbus_driver_register
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol x86_hyper_ms_hyperv
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol x86_hyper
    WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko needs unknown symbol ms_hyperv

Is there a work-around or do we stick with the 2.6.32.71 kernel?

Pete
    25. prosince 2011 4:13

Odpovědi

• The plus repository had been added to the repositories.  I removed it (Add/Remove Software repositories) and installed the non-plus kernel for 6.2 (2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.x86_64) using "Add/Remove Softwre" (plus version is still there).  After the install, I rebooted and all seems to be running correctly.
    Pete
    19. ledna 2012 18:39

Všechny reakce

• Due to the holidays, we've yet to qualify CentOS 6.2 as a supported guest. Does the same thing issue occur if you use the non-plus kernel?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    25. prosince 2011 19:56
  • It is kernel version related.  2.6.32.71 plus and non-plus work fine.  131 (I believe the kernel for 6.1) and 220 do not work.  As shown, it appears to be due to missing modules in the Redhat (and therefore CentOS) newer kernels (or, better stated, modules not included in the newer kernels).

Thanks.

Pete
    25. prosince 2011 20:08
  • Given that we support RHEL 6.1 (which uses the same .131 kernel), it's unlikely to be kernel specific. I'll dig into this a bit more once I return to the office.
    27. prosince 2011 16:05
  • It may be that this system started out with Centos 6.0.  While there were kernel updates before the update to .131 (6.1), it started breaking at the update to .131.  I uninstalled IC 3.0 (the original which, by the way, the documentation is incorrect on) and installed 3.2.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled 3.2 a couple of times (the documentation is also incorrect on how to do that) but, as you can see, the IC install says it is missing modules in the .131 and .220 builds.  I wonder if the yum updates to the kernel accidentally left those modules out while the distribution DVDs contain those modules?  If that is the case, is there a way to install just those modules on the respective kernel builds?  Just thinking out loud...
    Pete
    28. prosince 2011 11:36
  • That's extremely odd, as I've done the move from a clean 6.0 to 6.1 (kernel .131) on my test boxes with the release code without issue.

The kernel updates from CentOS should not interfere with our drivers. The dependencies within the kernel are actually quite small. Does the same thing happen if you clean install 6.1 and install the latest LIS drivers (3.2) on it?

Can you also include the steps in the documentation that are incorrect so I can ensure they're corrected in future revisions of the documentation?

30. prosince 2011 15:31
  • The move to 6.1 was using a disk, right?  My updates were via yum (Software Updater).  I do remember being notified that the new kernels did not have one or more modules included in the currently installed kernel.  I didn't pay much attention as I was used to those warning with 5.x because IC 2.1 required recompiles (yes, I know that for 64 bit you could do it without recompiling but 32 bit always required recompiles due to the time sync portion).  Judging from the above messages, I would say, at a minimum, vmbus.so has been left out of their yum updates (if there is a way to RPM them into the newer kernels, let me know and I will test it; even manually bringing the missing modules in would be doable).

I do not have the disks (nor the time at the moment) to create a new VM and install 6.1 or 6.2 clean.  I am using LIS 3.2 at this time although originally was on 3.0.

The error in the documentation is the line for uninstall.  The version number to uninstall 3.2 is 43, not 41 and the version number for 3.0 was 63, I think, which prevented a straight RPM upgrade (uninstall 3.0, reboot, install 3.1 or 3.2, reboot).  Also, you cannot combine uninstalls on one line as printed.  I had to run rpm -e twice, once for each package.

Hope this helps.  It looks like the CentOS yum updates are missing the vmbus support modules which may mean the RH yum updates suffer from the same issue.

Thanks.

Pete
    30. prosince 2011 15:55
  • Further info from the working modules.dep:

weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko: weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko:
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_netvsc.ko: weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_storvsc.ko: weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko: weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko: weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_vmbus.ko

From the not working modules.dep:

weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_mouse.ko:
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_utils.ko:
    weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/hv_timesource.ko:

The  /lib/modules/2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64/weak-updates/microsoft-hyper-v/ folder contains the "missing" ko files so they are there.

Pete
    30. prosince 2011 23:30
  • If you disale the CentOS-Plus repo, does the same issue occur? I've been unable to reproduce this in house - starting with CentOS 6 or 6.1, installing the LIS, and then upgrading via yum update to 6.2.

11. ledna 2012 5:28
  • Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean "disable the CentOS-Plus repo".  I am not a Linux expert by any means.  I installed this VM to have a 64 bit CentOS 6 test bed for applications that I write that function on many different platforms.  I did not select CentOS-Plus but this was the "path" that occurred over time (I notice that the same can be said for my CentOS 5 VMs).  I also notice that on my CentOS 5 VMs, it would go back and forth between Plus and non-Plus builds.  I have no idea what the "Plus" is or how to tell my system "update to a non-Plus platform".  Please explain.

If the Linux IC thinks the modules are missing when they are, in-fact, there, is there a way to make the IC think they do exist so they will be compiled in?

Thanks for your efforts.

Pete
    11. ledna 2012 23:59
  • Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean "disable the CentOS-Plus repo".  I am not a Linux expert by any means.  I installed this VM to have a 64 bit CentOS 6 test bed for applications that I write that function on many different platforms.  I did not select CentOS-Plus but this was the "path" that occurred over time (I notice that the same can be said for my CentOS 5 VMs).  I also notice that on my CentOS 5 VMs, it would go back and forth between Plus and non-Plus builds.  I have no idea what the "Plus" is or how to tell my system "update to a non-Plus platform".  Please explain.

If the Linux IC thinks the modules are missing when they are, in-fact, there, is there a way to make the IC think they do exist so they will be compiled in?

Thanks for your efforts.

Pete

When you use yum to install software, it pulls the rpm packages from multiple package repositories.  One of the repositories that you can enable on CentOS is CentOS-Plus.  This repository contains packages that do not come from RedHat and may cause your CentOS system to no longer be completely compatible with RedHat.  If you have enabled this, you may have installed software that is not compatible with some things that later come from RedHat -- or in this case, Linux Integration Services, which is written specifically for RedHat.  A google search for "how to disable repositories in CentOS" should provide links to guides that show you how to disable the CentOS-Plus repository (if you have it enabled at all).
    18. ledna 2012 20:24
  • The plus repository had been added to the repositories.  I removed it (Add/Remove Software repositories) and installed the non-plus kernel for 6.2 (2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.centos.x86_64) using "Add/Remove Softwre" (plus version is still there).  After the install, I rebooted and all seems to be running correctly.
    Pete
    19. ledna 2012 18:39