none
Can't open file from redirected drive

Dotaz

• Hello all,

I have a RDS environment configured with a session host providing vm redirection and 2 other sessions host configured as a farm. I have remoteFX configured with the VM's providing drive redirection. I can insert a USB drive into the host computer and successfully access the drive in the vm; however, I can't start an application like excel ( or any of the office products) by clicking on the file in the usb drive. It starts to initiate the connection like it is saposed to however I then get an error "the program was not found for assistance contact your system administrator" if I move the file from the USB drive to the desktop of the vm it open correctly. I have confirmed I don't have a gpo set such as 'deny drive redirection' and I am not blocking redirection on the session host servers.

22. června 2012 21:17

Odpovědi

• Hi,

Drive redirection will not work in the way you are attempting within cascaded (aka double-hop or session-within-a-session) sessions.  What you could try is to first map a drive within the Windows 7 VM to the redirected usb drive, then double-click the file from the drive letter instead.

For example, in the VM you would first a map drive to the redirected usb drive:

net use f: \\tsclient\f /persistent:no

Then browse to the F: drive in windows explorer and double-click on the excel file.

If you knew that certain drives would always be redirected you could automate the process by mapping drives in the logon script for the VM.  Please note that while cascaded sessions work okay for the most part they are not officially supported by Microsoft.

Thanks.

-TP

23. června 2012 7:04
    Moderátor
  • I have found a solution. I have audited the registry where a key gets created when you plug in a usb drive. Once the key gets made I map the usb drive as suggested. This process has seem to resolve the issue.
    3. července 2012 14:20

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

Drive redirection will not work in the way you are attempting within cascaded (aka double-hop or session-within-a-session) sessions.  What you could try is to first map a drive within the Windows 7 VM to the redirected usb drive, then double-click the file from the drive letter instead.

For example, in the VM you would first a map drive to the redirected usb drive:

net use f: \\tsclient\f /persistent:no

Then browse to the F: drive in windows explorer and double-click on the excel file.

If you knew that certain drives would always be redirected you could automate the process by mapping drives in the logon script for the VM.  Please note that while cascaded sessions work okay for the most part they are not officially supported by Microsoft.

Thanks.

-TP

23. června 2012 7:04
    Moderátor
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Clarence
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

28. června 2012 8:12
    Moderátor
  • I have found a solution. I have audited the registry where a key gets created when you plug in a usb drive. Once the key gets made I map the usb drive as suggested. This process has seem to resolve the issue.
    3. července 2012 14:20