none
WSUS 4 (WSUS on Windows Server 2012) and SQL Server 2012

Frage

• According to Technet, it's not supported to run a WSUS database on SQL Server 2012. We want to migrate our current environment to SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012, and don't want to leverage a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 based database for WSUS anymore. Anyone any clue when it will be supported to run a WSUS Database on SQL Server 2012.

Certifications: MCSA 2003|MCSE 2003|MCTS(5*)| MCTIP:SA | MCSA:2012

Montag, 21. Januar 2013 20:13

Antworten

• According to Technet, it's not supported to run a WSUS database on SQL Server 2012.

Correct. WSUS v3 was written for SQL Server 2005, and WSUS v3 SP2 is compatible with SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2.

We want to migrate our current environment to SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012, and don't want to leverage a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 based database for WSUS anymore.

Then you should install the WSUS v6 (on Windows Server 2012) with the built-in Windows Internal Database, and not worry about the rest.

Anyone any clue when it will be supported to run a WSUS Database on SQL Server 2012.

Probably never. The current generation of WSUS was written to the II6 specifications. With Extended Support for Windows Server 2003 running out in a bit more than a couple of years, I would say it's unlikely that any work would be done on the current generation of the product to make it compatible with SQL Server 2012.

What seems more likely (certainly makes more sense to me from a product management perspective), is that a new version of WSUS, supported only on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (both of which will be in Extended Support through January, 2020), and written to the IIS 7.x/NET4 specifications will come about. (Much of this work is already done in the form of WSUS v6 that runs on IIS8/NET4; it just needs to be back-ported to run on Win2008R2.)

Truth is, though, I have no knowledge of what's coming (they quit sharing future product details with me a long time ago), but even if I did, I couldn't tell you. The above is all independent speculation based on what I would do. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 01:54

Alle Antworten

• According to Technet, it's not supported to run a WSUS database on SQL Server 2012.

Correct. WSUS v3 was written for SQL Server 2005, and WSUS v3 SP2 is compatible with SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 R2.

We want to migrate our current environment to SQL Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012, and don't want to leverage a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 based database for WSUS anymore.

Then you should install the WSUS v6 (on Windows Server 2012) with the built-in Windows Internal Database, and not worry about the rest.

Anyone any clue when it will be supported to run a WSUS Database on SQL Server 2012.

Probably never. The current generation of WSUS was written to the II6 specifications. With Extended Support for Windows Server 2003 running out in a bit more than a couple of years, I would say it's unlikely that any work would be done on the current generation of the product to make it compatible with SQL Server 2012.

What seems more likely (certainly makes more sense to me from a product management perspective), is that a new version of WSUS, supported only on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (both of which will be in Extended Support through January, 2020), and written to the IIS 7.x/NET4 specifications will come about. (Much of this work is already done in the form of WSUS v6 that runs on IIS8/NET4; it just needs to be back-ported to run on Win2008R2.)

Truth is, though, I have no knowledge of what's coming (they quit sharing future product details with me a long time ago), but even if I did, I couldn't tell you. The above is all independent speculation based on what I would do. :-)

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 01:54
  • Lawrence,

Thanks for this answer.

Certifications: MCSA 2003|MCSE 2003|MCTS(5*)| MCTIP:SA | MCSA:2012

Dienstag, 22. Januar 2013 11:53