none
WSUS shows non ssl yet when local shows ssl

Frage

• I have more or less a simple yet perplexing question. WSUS seems to show SSL "Local" on the console on which WSUS is loaded. However, on a remote workstation that also connects to this console to the remote wsus server, it shows "Non-SSL". Why is that?

Just wondering if it is because the local has no hops so it views it as SSL? not sure...thanks.

Freitag, 30. November 2012 21:02

Antworten

• I have more or less a simple yet perplexing question. WSUS seems to show SSL "Local" on the console on which WSUS is loaded. However, on a remote workstation that also connects to this console to the remote wsus server, it shows "Non-SSL". Why is that?

So, there are actually two pieces of information under discussion here.

First, the keyword "Local" means that the console connection is local, not remote. It has no relevance to whether SSL is involved or not.

A remote console does not have the keyword "Local", only the SSL state. On a remote console connected via port 80 or 8530, it will display "Non-SSL".

The quirk comes into the picture on local consoles on Windows Server 2008 and later systems. It displays Local/SSL, even when connected on port 80 or 8530, which is not an accurate assessment of the situation. Well, actually, it's a BUG. But that's why.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Als Antwort markiert JaredMagun Montag, 3. Dezember 2012 15:22
    Samstag, 1. Dezember 2012 00:41

Alle Antworten

So, there are actually two pieces of information under discussion here.

First, the keyword "Local" means that the console connection is local, not remote. It has no relevance to whether SSL is involved or not.

A remote console does not have the keyword "Local", only the SSL state. On a remote console connected via port 80 or 8530, it will display "Non-SSL".

The quirk comes into the picture on local consoles on Windows Server 2008 and later systems. It displays Local/SSL, even when connected on port 80 or 8530, which is not an accurate assessment of the situation. Well, actually, it's a BUG. But that's why.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Als Antwort markiert JaredMagun Montag, 3. Dezember 2012 15:22
    Samstag, 1. Dezember 2012 00:41
  • Thanks Lawrence. You are most appreciated.
    Montag, 3. Dezember 2012 19:38