none
Server 2008 Upgrade Error - Please Help!!

Frage

• I have upgraded one of our media servers from Windows server 2003x64 to windows server 2008 standard x64, the upgrade went through without any problems untill it restared as part of the install for the last time now when it tries to boot into the new os i get an error saying "windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or currupt"

File:\windows\system32\DRIVERS/symmpi.sys

I have searched and searched online articles and had no success, tried the sfc commands in the cmd repair utility, tries disabling driver signature enforcment but it just loops back to the start, i cant upgrade to say enterprise as you can only upgrade from within the os...... Im hoping I dont have to rebuild??

Has anyone got any ideas? your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 10:34

Antworten

• Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now let’s try steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Use DOS commands to rename symmpi.sys in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS to symmpi.old.

Restart the computer and test the result.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Als Antwort markiert AssureW3b Montag, 22. Juni 2009 12:12
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:46

Alle Antworten

• hi there,

as per my knowledge symmpi.sys belongs to vmware. 

in order to debug the cause of the error it would be necessary to take relevant dumps and when doing so you need a engineer / dedicated engineer to work on the issue. so i would recommend you to contact microsoft support for troubleshooting the issue further.

You may obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?iid=174859&iguid=56907522-6886-4238-a70f-a1d06a4473c7_2_2&rdpath=1

For your reference:

Here are some steps to temporally to make the system not automatically restart when the issue occurs.

Steps.

1. Right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties" on the desktop

2. Click on the "Advanced"

3. Click "Settings" in the area of "Startup and Recovery"

4. In the prompt dialog box, uncheck the "Automatically restart" in the area of "System failure"

5. Click OK.

I also included a MSDN blog to describe how to install Windbg and get the memory dump as followed.

How to install Windbg and get your first memory dump

http://blogs.msdn.com/johan/archive/2007/01/11/how-to-install-windbg-and-get-your-first-memory-dump.aspx

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

sainath !analyze
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 10:57
  • Hi Sainath,

Unfortunatly I cant take any dumps or load any utilities as I cant get into the OS, thanks for your reply this may have to be a microsoft support call.
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:03
  • hi there,

can you boot into safe mode ? , if not can you tell us how do you wish to go about the issue
    sainath !analyze
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:13
  • Hi,

Are you upgrade the system in VMware?

If so, please contact VMware support.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:17
  • If I boot into safe mode I just get the error screen about the  missing or currupt system driver listed in my first post, This isnt a VM its a physical machine.
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:31
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now let’s try steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Use DOS commands to rename symmpi.sys in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS to symmpi.old.

Restart the computer and test the result.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Als Antwort markiert AssureW3b Montag, 22. Juni 2009 12:12
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 11:46
  • Hi Tim,

I have renamed the file as suggested through the repair option and restarted, it now boots into the os fine, I'll speak to vmware and find out what this .sys file is used for, it may have something to do with the ISCSI SAN we have attched for our ESX Infrastructure.

Thanks for yoru reply it has saved me! :)

Regards

Matt
    Montag, 22. Juni 2009 12:12
  • renaming symmpi.sys to symmpi.old worked for my problem.

Zahir Hussain Shah | MVP - Exchange Server | Senior Infrastructure Consultant - Messaging | My blog: http://zahirshahblog.com ]If my answer fixes your problem, mark them as answer, so it will help others to find a solution]

Mittwoch, 28. März 2012 10:35