none
Windows 7 home and WSUS

Frage

• Apparently only Win7 Pro and above are only able to connect to WSUS on WHS, and most likely WSBS

I have 3 Win 7 home machines i need backing up from a server to lower out of house traffic.

first off 7 Home doesn't Have group policy editor so reg cant be altered in any organized way

Second the Windows update reg locations don't seem to be where other forums suggest they are.  

Third i managed to install some user created gpedit and the windows update keys show up but changes don't redirect the machines to the server like they should, leaving me to wonder if they even can.

Perhaps a work around can be organized?

This link should give a good idea of where i'm coming from.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/70-wsus-pt2-connect-whs-2011-client-to-windows-server-update-service/

Dienstag, 12. Februar 2013 22:27

Antworten

• I believe that WSUS is not supported when running on WHS, so your best bet for help is likely at wegotserved.

I have no problems running WSUS and WHS2011 with my many XP Pro and W7HP computers, having made the registry edits for all by hand. This link is where I got my primary help:

http://qsf5.com/2011/06/01/wsus-3-0-sp2-windows-home-server-2011/

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013 13:48
  • first off 7 Home doesn't Have group policy editor so reg cant be altered in any organized way

Consumer editions do not support GROUP policy, this is true, because they do not support DOMAIN membership; however, they should still have a LOCAL policy editor.

Second the Windows update reg locations don't seem to be where other forums suggest they are.

Actually, those registry keys don't exist on a Professional Edition or Enterprise Edition installation either, until something creates them: Group Policy, Local Policy, a REG IMPORT command, or a talented user of REGEDIT.

Third i managed to install some user created gpedit and the windows update keys show up but changes don't redirect the machines to the server like they should, leaving me to wonder if they even can.

Sure they can -- presuming that the registry import you performed had valid settings in it. Personally I'd be terrified of importing somebody else's registry keys/values into my system unless I understood exactly what those keys/values do. Perhaps we should start by you posting what you imported and we can inspect it for validity.

As regards how to do this.... I think the Microsoft product documentation is always the best place to start. Review Update and Configure the Automatic Updates Client Computer

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013 22:33

Alle Antworten

• I believe that WSUS is not supported when running on WHS, so your best bet for help is likely at wegotserved.

I have no problems running WSUS and WHS2011 with my many XP Pro and W7HP computers, having made the registry edits for all by hand. This link is where I got my primary help:

http://qsf5.com/2011/06/01/wsus-3-0-sp2-windows-home-server-2011/

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013 13:48
  • first off 7 Home doesn't Have group policy editor so reg cant be altered in any organized way

Consumer editions do not support GROUP policy, this is true, because they do not support DOMAIN membership; however, they should still have a LOCAL policy editor.

Actually, those registry keys don't exist on a Professional Edition or Enterprise Edition installation either, until something creates them: Group Policy, Local Policy, a REG IMPORT command, or a talented user of REGEDIT.

Sure they can -- presuming that the registry import you performed had valid settings in it. Personally I'd be terrified of importing somebody else's registry keys/values into my system unless I understood exactly what those keys/values do. Perhaps we should start by you posting what you imported and we can inspect it for validity.

As regards how to do this.... I think the Microsoft product documentation is always the best place to start. Review Update and Configure the Automatic Updates Client Computer

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Mittwoch, 13. Februar 2013 22:33