none
Automatic approvals on a previous synchronization

Frage

• Hi,
    I've synchronized 655 updates this mornig, although unfortunately I hadn't activated the automatic approvals and that means that I'd have to activate each update manually.
    My question is whether it is possible to execute the automatic approvals on a finished synchronization... perhaps it is possible with commands.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 12:40

Antworten

• I pushed "Run Rule" and I'm getting full the folder where wsus save the patches.

I think that doing on this way wsus download all the patches, because I don't choose the date of the synchronization...

Correct. The "Run Rule" option is an all-or-nothing proposition. You cannot chose which updates to auto-approve.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 22:56
  • WSUS cannot download updates you have not approved; unless you've disabled the Only download approved updates option.

If the updates are approved for the wrong groups, the only way to fix that is.. well.. to fix it. Use the console, set the update approvals to the correct group(s). One way you can expedite this effort is to create a custom update view based on "Updates approved for a specific group", which will let you see the updates approved for "GroupA" and select the ones from there that should be approved for "GroupB", or not approved for "GroupA", as the case may be.

To stop the downloading of an approved update, remove the approval and then right click on the update and select "Cancel Download" from the context menu.

If it's really complicated... you can always reinstall the server with a new database.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Freitag, 18. Januar 2013 14:44

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

try to push "Run Rule" on Automatic Approval Options Dialog

Maxim Sinel'nikov

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 12:45
  • Check this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708458%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Kind regards,

Tim
    MCITP, MCTS
    http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

"If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 12:46
  • I pushed "Run Rule" and I'm getting full the folder where wsus save the patches.

I think that doing on this way wsus download all the patches, because I don't choose the date of the synchronization...

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 14:51
  • I haven't found any issue ralated to my quetion. My question is a little more concrete.

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 14:53

Correct. The "Run Rule" option is an all-or-nothing proposition. You cannot chose which updates to auto-approve.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2013 22:56
  • Hello,

then I've a problem. I executed "Run Rule" and wsus has approved all the updates but bad. I've checked some updates and, for example, the windows 7 updates are approved to the windows xp forder where there are the windows xp pcs. Moreover, I think wsus is downloading updates that I hadn't approved previously, for example, updates for IE and, and my network drive used for saving the updates is full.

From my point of view a possible solution would be remove all the updates (most of the patches I really needed are installed) and execute, if possible, the synchronizations I could need.

Any suggestion to stop the downloading of unnecessary updates?

Is it possible to execute a synchronization of a previous date?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Freitag, 18. Januar 2013 08:27
  • WSUS cannot download updates you have not approved; unless you've disabled the Only download approved updates option.

If the updates are approved for the wrong groups, the only way to fix that is.. well.. to fix it. Use the console, set the update approvals to the correct group(s). One way you can expedite this effort is to create a custom update view based on "Updates approved for a specific group", which will let you see the updates approved for "GroupA" and select the ones from there that should be approved for "GroupB", or not approved for "GroupA", as the case may be.

To stop the downloading of an approved update, remove the approval and then right click on the update and select "Cancel Download" from the context menu.

If it's really complicated... you can always reinstall the server with a new database.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Freitag, 18. Januar 2013 14:44