none
Documentation of Processor "Resource Control" dialog

Frage

• Hi,

I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious, but - can someone point me to a detailed explanation of the different Resource Control settings available on the Processor dialog in VM Settings?  For instance, "virtual machine reserve (percentage)" - is this a percentage of the total CPU cycles available on the host?  If so, what is "Percent of total system resources"?  If not, what is it?  And are any of these impacted by the number of virtual processors assigned to the VM?

Also - Relative Weight - how does this relate to the other settings?

thanks!

Martin
    Freitag, 28. März 2008 13:57

Antworten

• Reserve = percent of CPU that is kept aside for the running virtual machine

Limit = percent of CPU that the running virtual machine is not allowed to go over the top of

Relative weight = used to decide how CPU is distributed when there is contention (a VM with a weight of 200 will get twice as much CPU time as a VM with a weight of 100).

VM processor percentage = percentage of the VM processor time, measured by how many processors are assigned to the virtual machine.

Total system processor percentage = percentage of the VM processor time, measured by how many processors are assigned to the physical computer.

So a 2 CPU vm on a 4 core computer with a 50% VM reserve (50% of 2 processors) would have a 25% system reserve (25% of 4 cores).

Cheers,

Ben

Freitag, 28. März 2008 18:20
    Besitzer

Alle Antworten

• Reserve = percent of CPU that is kept aside for the running virtual machine

Limit = percent of CPU that the running virtual machine is not allowed to go over the top of

Relative weight = used to decide how CPU is distributed when there is contention (a VM with a weight of 200 will get twice as much CPU time as a VM with a weight of 100).

VM processor percentage = percentage of the VM processor time, measured by how many processors are assigned to the virtual machine.

Total system processor percentage = percentage of the VM processor time, measured by how many processors are assigned to the physical computer.

So a 2 CPU vm on a 4 core computer with a 50% VM reserve (50% of 2 processors) would have a 25% system reserve (25% of 4 cores).

Cheers,

Ben

Freitag, 28. März 2008 18:20
    Besitzer
  • OK, that helps a lot.

thanks

Martin

Montag, 31. März 2008 14:43
  •   Although it is an old question, I want to add this article, for all those who will search the same in the future.
     (Link in clear text: http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/microsoft-hyper-v-articles/general/controlling-processor-resources-hyper-v-guests.html).
    Sonntag, 11. Januar 2009 10:05