none
Processor affinity settings fails for a process

Frage

• Hi,

I'm using Visual Studio .net 2008 Test edition under Windows Server 2008 x64 to run load test on my firm's website. The test machine has 8 processors and 16 Go RAM so hardware shouldn't be the limiting factor.

When I launch load tests from VS .net, a new process named VSTestHost *32  is fired and proceed to web requests. The default affinity for this (.net 2.0) process is only 1 processor and it quickly get stuck to 100%.
    When I try to set the affinity to all 8 processor using taskmanager tool, the operation silently fails and the process remains always bound to the single first CPU.

I then tried to run this process with MSTest.exe *32 (command line tool to do the same job) using the "start" DOS function to use the /affinity parameter. Giving for instance /affinity 3 should autorize the process MSTest.exe *32 to use CPU0 and CPU1 but it doesn't work.

Is there a particular concern with running x32 process on x64 OS with .net 2.0 framework ? how could i achieve to allow all processors for VSTestHost *32 or MSTest.exe *32 processes ?

PS: I can set all other running process affinity without problem and I'm in windows server administrator role.

Thanks for your help .
    gueven
    Freitag, 21. März 2008 15:30

Antworten

• Hi,

According to the following MSDN document, a 32bit application should be able to access up to 32 processors via the WOW64 environment in a x64 operating system.

“While 64-bit Windows supports a maximum of 64 processors, 32-bit Windows supports a maximum of 32 processors. Therefore, functions such as GetProcessAffinityMask simulate a computer with 32 processors when called under WOW64. The affinity mask is obtained by performing a bitwise OR operation of the top 32 bits of the mask with the low 32 bits. Therefore, if a thread has affinity for processors 0, 1, and 32, WOW64 reports the affinity as 0 and 1, because processor 32 maps to processor 0. Functions that set processor affinity, such as SetThreadAffinityMask, restrict processors to the first 32 processors under WOW64.”

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/win64/win64/processor_affinity.asp

However, as this issue happens on two custom applications, it seems to be a development related issue. We recommend you posting in the MSDN forum so that you will get the most qualified support of these tools. For your reference, I have included the link to MSDN forum below:

MSDN Forum

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?SiteID=1

Hope the issue will be resolved soon.

Montag, 31. März 2008 10:17