none
Windows Media Services/Streaming Server 2012

Frage

• Is Windows Media Services supported on Server 2012 Standard? I was hoping to use that to allow me to use my Windows Media playlist to stream to Windows Media Player on a group of Windows 7 clients.

Thanks in advance!

Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 06:36

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 15:27
  • Thanks!  Is there a way I can stream to Windows Media Player using that, or is it only browser based? 
    Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 21:05
  • I assume you are asking if you can view Smooth Streaming content in Windows Media Player.  The answer is 'no'.  You can however view Windows Media and Smooth Streaming content both in Silverlight.
    Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 21:37
  • Thanks!  Silverlight always crashes on me.... ;)

I'll figure something out... Maybe I'll use VLC or something on the server side....

Mittwoch, 14. November 2012 22:20
  • Hi David -- I just read your blog and I have to agree with some others that IIS Media Services or the Azure cloud solution are definately not a 1:1 replacement to WMS.  You obviously concur as you specifically call out in your blog entry the one thing I and many other Enterprise users still need - Multicast.  For some period of time, "Smooth Multicast" was listed as "Coming Soon".  Now I cannot find any reference to it at all.  Has Microsoft given up on this entirely?  Is the future of Enterprise video in Microsoft's world all based on well connected unicast HTTP with WAN caching appliances at _every_ location and/or large Internet pipes everywhere fronted by CDNs?

Thanks for your insights.

Samstag, 24. November 2012 01:57
  • Smooth Multicast is still something we're looking at doing, however our main priority is getting Windows Azure Media Services shipped.
    Montag, 26. November 2012 15:31