none
Synchronization failed (attempted to read or write to protected memory)

Frage

• Hi

We have WSUS running for several years without issues. Synchronization from Microsoft Update without proxy. However, a few days ago the synchronization consistently fails with the error below. The obvious solutions (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708514(v=ws.10).aspx) don't help.

Anyone have an idea?

Koen

WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Serve

Koen

Dienstag, 20. November 2012 09:09

Antworten

• Hi,

Thanks for the effort. I installed the update services on another server and connected to the same database. This was an easy operation and everything is running smooth at the moment. No idea why the services got so messed up in the first place, if I have some time to spare I'll try the repair options you suggested. 

Thanks again,

Koen

Koen

Freitag, 7. Dezember 2012 09:02

Alle Antworten

• We have WSUS running for several years without issues.

However, a few days ago the synchronization consistently fails with the error below.

WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Anyone have an idea?

You have a machine running for several years, and now consistently fails....

I'd vote for the indicated cause. Have you physically replaced the memory in the server?

Otherwise, given the attempt of something to read or write protected memory, I'd suspect malware, or a corrupted filesystem with a corrupted WSUS module sitting on the cluster of the corrupted filesystem.

Have you tested for all of that?

The obvious solutions (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708514(v=ws.10).aspx) don't help.

Please be careful how you hyperlink. This link is invalid (the closing paren in the hyperlink), and I almost missed that, which would have radically changed portions of my answer.

The "obvious solutions" in the WSUS documentation (cited TechNet article with corrected link) presume that WSUS is running on a healthy system. I vote for the system being at fault, not the installed software -- as suggested by the error message.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Dienstag, 20. November 2012 22:55
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The link to the Technet article got messed up indeed, sorry about that.

I think that you are right about the corrupted filesystem. We had an issue with that on this server some time ago, but that was solved by chkdsk. No problems are detected at this moment, it is strange that just now the WSUS synchronization is failing. I'll try to reinstall WSUS. If I understand correctly, it is possible to do an uninstall, keep the settings and install reusing the existing settings?

All the best,

Koen

Koen

Freitag, 23. November 2012 14:40
  • If I understand correctly, it is possible to do an uninstall, keep the settings and install reusing the existing settings?

Yes. On the uninstallation dialog you'll have three Opt-In options to remove the database, logs, and content. Leave all three UNCHECKED.

Before doing the uninstallation, though, you might also try an ancient trick from the old days.... which is very useful for identifying corrupted code files in the filesystem.

1. Stop the Update Services service and the WWW service
    2. *RENAME* the %ProgramFiles%\Update Services folder to UpdateServices.BAD
    3. *XCOPY* the %ProgramFiles%\UpdateServices.BAD folder to %ProgramFiles%\Update Services (be sure to use the correct parameters to preserve ACLs)
    4. Restart the WWW service and the Update Services service.

While this is not guaranteed to identify/isolate the issue, if the original installation is on a failing cluster, this methodology will ensure that failing cluster stays populated with stuff that won't be used, and unless the failure is mestasticizing through the entire volume (as might be the case as a result of a head crash), the copied folder will likely be written to good clusters.

Of course, if there are READ errors coming off of the clusters hosting the original installation, the WRITE of that code module may also be defective. But it's a very quick 'check' that could restore functionality with a minimum of effort *and* provide useful diagnostic data that a simple re-installation could destroy.

And, if it's a memory issue, then moving the files, and uninstalling/reinstalling, likely won't help in any case.

You might also check out Steve Gibson's SpinRite.. which may be able to fully recover/restore that disk and let you keep using it.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Freitag, 23. November 2012 18:21
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Mittwoch, 28. November 2012 03:33
  • Hi

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

I tried the suggestions from Lawrence Garvin, unfortunately no improvement. An additional dskchk results in a clean disk, no errors can be found whatsoever.

I then uninstalled the services, keeping the existing data. Then I reinstalled but this finishes with the following error:

"2012-11-28 11:32:31  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-11-28 11:32:31  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2012-11-28 11:32:31  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)"

Looks like I'm stuck at the moment. Would it make sense to install WSUS on a completely different server? Is it possible to reuse the existing settings in such a scenario?

All the best,

Koen

Koen

Mittwoch, 28. November 2012 10:41
  • Sorry for the delay.I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.  Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012 03:41
  • Hi,

Could you please following the steps as below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd443475(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Freitag, 7. Dezember 2012 03:31
  • Hi,

Thanks for the effort. I installed the update services on another server and connected to the same database. This was an easy operation and everything is running smooth at the moment. No idea why the services got so messed up in the first place, if I have some time to spare I'll try the repair options you suggested. 

Thanks again,

Koen

Koen

Freitag, 7. Dezember 2012 09:02