none
WSUS report problem

Frage

• Today I tried to generate a WSUS report any report (Update Report or Computer report). When I select:

security updates

windows7/windows xp

choose group

choose installed/Not Applicable nothing appears:

No items where found with specified options for the report.

But I have security updates installed in the computers of this group.

If I generate a report choosing needed,Failed, No status. The results appear.

Someone here Knows what is happening ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Lyra

Sonntag, 16. Juni 2013 21:09

Antworten

• Run #4: Set Status = "Installed/NotApplicable" and set the other three to "Any".

Result --> No items were found with the specified options for the report.

Obviously neither of these results are expected, and frankly I didn't expect more than one of these to return zero items. :-//

Mostest interesting ... I was just running some reports for another thread and I think I discovered why this filter option is not returning any rows.... there does appear to be a BUG in the application of the "Installed/NotApplicable" filter.

Generally speaking in a Computer Status Report, a computer can only be in one of four states (something I mentioned earlier but got lost in the conversation):

• A machine is in "Failed" status if at least one update has currently failed installation.
    • A machine is in "Needed" status if at least one update is reported as NotInstalled.
    • A machine is in "No Status" if at least one update has an unknown status.
    • A machine is in "Installed/NotApplicable" if ALL updates are Installed -or- Not Applicable, otherwise it's in one of the previous states.

The fact is that the fourth state, "Installed/NotApplicable = 100%" will likely never happen because there are always some unApproved updates somewhere that are not installed (needed), particularly if you're synchronizing Definition Updates.

This is why the "Status for Approved Updates" report was created. I thought you were running that report, but I see from my own console now that's not actually the case.

So, if you launch the "Computer Tabular Status for Approved Updates" report. Set the report type dropdown back to Detailed Report. Set your group to the desired group. You can also select a parent group to include child groups, if appropriate, and set status to "Installed/NotApplicable" -- you should get the expected results -- but still only if the machine does not have any Needed or NoStatus updates in that group. You can confirm this by running the report for ALL statuses and then inspecting which updates are listed in which status (e.g. Not Installed and No Status).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 22:12
  • This could be a manifestation of too many updates in the database. What is the total number of updates you have synchronized? You may find some benefit from reviewing my articles on too many updates and removing unneeded update approvals.

The second  report like you said:

Run #3: Set Groups = "Manutencao" and set the other three to "Any".

The result ---> No items were found with the specified options for the report.

Run #4: Set Status = "Installed/NotApplicable" and set the other three to "Any".

Obviously neither of these results are expected, and frankly I didn't expect more than one of these to return zero items. :-// Given the errors you experienced, it may be useful to do some database maintenance and then retry these reports. In these two blog articles are guidance on defragmenting the filesystem and reindexing the WSUS database.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 21:37

Alle Antworten

• If I click in the name of the computer (same group) or in the name of the update approved for the same group the report shows the security updates installed.

Any clue ?

Lyra

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 00:24
  • If I reinstalled the Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 could resolve the problem ?

Any comments ?

Lyra

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 15:38
  • security updates

windows7/windows xp

choose group

choose installed/Not Applicable nothing appears:

No items where found with specified options for the report.

But I have security updates installed in the computers of this group.

If I generate a report choosing needed,Failed, No status. The results appear.

Someone here Knows what is happening ?

I think the starting place is to believe what you've seen, based on the options chosen, and determine why what you've chosen doesn't display the expected results.

What group(s) did you choose? How did you launch the report? Are you running a *computer* report or an *update* report.

My assumption would be that there are no Installed/NotApplicable WinXP/Win7 Security Updates for the group(s) chosen in the report.

A screenshot of the Report Options would be helpful.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 15:45
  • If I reinstalled the Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 could resolve the problem ?

Not likely. There's nothing wrong with the reporting -- you just received unexpected results. You got the results appropriate for the options you selected. The key is to determine whether you selected the correct options (and report) to get what you wanted to see.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 15:46
  • Lawrence Garvin,

Below the screenshot you asked.

Observe the group any computer.

I hope that is a simple problem.

Lyra

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 16:15
  • Below a report of one computer - win7 - 64

The security updates are installed.

Lyra

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 18:57
  • Change the "Include computers from these groups:" to the actual group(s) that contain your Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP systems.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Montag, 17. Juni 2013 22:20
  • The group I choose has windows 7, windows Vista, Windows Xp.

Lyra

Dienstag, 18. Juni 2013 10:56
  • Below report of one computer of the Group - Manutenção.

Dienstag, 18. Juni 2013 11:17
  • The group I choose has windows 7, windows Vista, Windows Xp.

Lyra

On the Upstream Server ... is Options | Reporting Rollup enabled?

Also, are the updates actually approved for the group Manutencao? Or are the clients getting the approvals from some other group?

In this report format, where a computer group is defined:

• Only updates directly approved for that group are included.
    • Only computers assigned membership in that group are included.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Dienstag, 18. Juni 2013 18:47
  • Lawrence Garvin below the answers:

Lawrence Garvin

1) On the Upstream Server ... is Options | Reporting Rollup enabled?

Yes.

I only have one server.

2) Also, are the updates actually approved for the group Manutencao?

3) Or are the clients getting the approvals from some other group?

I didn´t understand.  In windowsupdate.log the target group is manutencao and this computer is below this (manutencao) wsus computer view.  So The computer is receiving the updates from manutencao group. Is this right ?

4) In this report format, where a computer group is defined:

I don´t know if I understood the question.

The screenshot shows where.

5) Only updates directly approved for that group are included.

I didn´t understand or I don´t know exactly know the reports work. If the report include only the updates approved to the group chosen or also the inherited updates.

6) Only computers assigned membership in that group are included.

Lawrence Garvin, could you reformulate the question. Excuse me I didn´t understand.

If I chosen the computer group manutencao the report would show only updates from that group. Is this right ?

Lawrence Garvin,

If I look in ReportingEvents.log the updates are installed.

and in windowsupdate.log the target group is manutencao.

Lyra

Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013 14:16
  • Okay, let's try narrowing down this in a different manner.

Redefine the report as follows:

• Classifications = "Any classification"
    • Products = "Any product"
    • Groups = "Any computer group"
    • Status = "Any"

and run the report. Verify that you get results. (If not, then the issue is not with report filters, but with something more significant.)

Then modify each of those four options, one-at-a-time, to determine which filter is eliminating the updates.

Run #1: Set Classifications = "Security Updates" and leave the other three set to "Any"

Run #2: Set Products = "Windows 7 + Windows Vista + Windows XP" and set the other three to "Any".

Run #4: Set Status = "Installed/NotApplicable" and set the other three to "Any".

Which of those four runs produces no results?

SolarWinds Head Geek

Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013 17:16
  • Lawrence I redefine the report like you said:

• Status = "Any"

The result:

The second  report like you said:

Run #1: Set Classifications = "Security Updates" and leave the other three set to "Any"

The result ---> Report is being generated (7220 items).

After the msg above appears the msg Error Generating Report (screenshot).

Run #2: Set Products = "Windows 7 + Windows Vista + Windows XP" and set the other three to "Any".

The result ---> Report is being generated (3218 items).

After the msg above  appears the msg Error Generating Report (screenshot).

When the report have a lots of items it crashes.

Comments ?

Thanks in advance

Lyra

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 14:52
  • Lawrence I redefine the report like you said:

• Status = "Any"

The result:

The result ---> Report is being generated (7220 items).

After the msg above appears the msg Error Generating Report (screenshot).

The result ---> Report is being generated (3218 items).

After the msg above  appears the msg Error Generating Report (screenshot).

When the report have a lots of items it crashes.

Comments ?

Thanks in advance

Lyra

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 14:53
  • This could be a manifestation of too many updates in the database. What is the total number of updates you have synchronized? You may find some benefit from reviewing my articles on too many updates and removing unneeded update approvals.

Obviously neither of these results are expected, and frankly I didn't expect more than one of these to return zero items. :-// Given the errors you experienced, it may be useful to do some database maintenance and then retry these reports. In these two blog articles are guidance on defragmenting the filesystem and reindexing the WSUS database.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 21:37
  • Run #4: Set Status = "Installed/NotApplicable" and set the other three to "Any".

Obviously neither of these results are expected, and frankly I didn't expect more than one of these to return zero items. :-//

Mostest interesting ... I was just running some reports for another thread and I think I discovered why this filter option is not returning any rows.... there does appear to be a BUG in the application of the "Installed/NotApplicable" filter.

Generally speaking in a Computer Status Report, a computer can only be in one of four states (something I mentioned earlier but got lost in the conversation):

• A machine is in "Failed" status if at least one update has currently failed installation.
    • A machine is in "Needed" status if at least one update is reported as NotInstalled.
    • A machine is in "No Status" if at least one update has an unknown status.
    • A machine is in "Installed/NotApplicable" if ALL updates are Installed -or- Not Applicable, otherwise it's in one of the previous states.

The fact is that the fourth state, "Installed/NotApplicable = 100%" will likely never happen because there are always some unApproved updates somewhere that are not installed (needed), particularly if you're synchronizing Definition Updates.

This is why the "Status for Approved Updates" report was created. I thought you were running that report, but I see from my own console now that's not actually the case.

So, if you launch the "Computer Tabular Status for Approved Updates" report. Set the report type dropdown back to Detailed Report. Set your group to the desired group. You can also select a parent group to include child groups, if appropriate, and set status to "Installed/NotApplicable" -- you should get the expected results -- but still only if the machine does not have any Needed or NoStatus updates in that group. You can confirm this by running the report for ALL statuses and then inspecting which updates are listed in which status (e.g. Not Installed and No Status).

SolarWinds Head Geek

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2013 22:12
  • Thanks a lot Lawrence Garvin.

I will do all you said.

I will start work. Any doubt I will post here.

Again thanks a lot.

Lyra

Samstag, 22. Juni 2013 22:26
  • Lawrence asked:

- What is the total number of updates you have synchronized ?

Anwser:

Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013 12:36
  • Lawrence asked:

- What is the total number of updates you have synchronized ?

Anwser:

Eeeek! Time to start declining some of those updates in WSUS. But, that is just my opinion.
    Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013 20:29
  • Antwesor you are right.
    I will do this.
    Freitag, 28. Juni 2013 22:58
  • Lawrence this is only information.

I started running scw. I followed your post.

The results are bellow.

Lyra

Freitag, 28. Juni 2013 23:29
  • Lawrence,

After I use scw for the first time I am Removing unneeded update approvals manually.

When I try to decline some unneeded update the msg below appears.

So I can´t decline the update.

I didn´t finish the remove of unneeded updates approvals.

Anyway do you recomend to pass to the next phase Defragment the filesystem and WSUS database maintenance ?

Thanks in Advance

Lyra

• Bearbeitet LyraMachado Montag, 1. Juli 2013 18:16 add information
    Montag, 1. Juli 2013 16:26
  • I still have a lot of work to do.

Lyra

Samstag, 13. Juli 2013 20:37
  • Anyway do you recomend to pass to the next phase Defragment the filesystem and WSUS database maintenance ?

Defragmenting and reindexing prior to using the Server Cleanup Wizard has produced positive results in some circumstances.

With respect to the "Decline expired..." and "Decline superseded.." update steps... those you can do manually from the console, although rarely are these the cause of the timeout. The timeout is almost always due to the "Delete expired update and old revisions..." and that's something that can only be done with the Server Cleanup Wizard. Generally, though, the deletes that occurred prior to the timeout are successful, so re-starting the Server Cleanup Wizard after the timeout should, eventually, result in a successful run.

To the above question, sometimes the timeouts are a manifestation of excessive disk activity trying to find and delete updates, due to fragmentation of the database file, or inefficient indexes, so yes, the defrag/reindex may be helpful in eliminating the SCW timeout errors.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Sonntag, 14. Juli 2013 16:59