none
Why Update Catalog?

Frage

• One of my software vendors recently reported an update that broke their software (FWIW, it's KB2775511). In order to find out if this update was installed on any of my machines, I checked my WSUS server and found no sign of it at all -- not in All Updates, not even expired in a synchronization somewhere. It turns out you have to download it from Microsoft Update Catalog.

The Microsoft Update Catalog FAQ http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Faq.aspx states:

Microsoft Update Catalog provides updates, including drivers, that are for distribution across a corporate network.

But wait - If I'm using Automatic Updates via a WSUS server, aren't I doing exactly that?

You can download updates from Microsoft Update Catalog and import them into WSUS, SCCM, or whatever, but you have to know about the update first. I can no longer count on my WSUS server to tell me everything that's needed.

I realy don't understand why there are multiple systems.  I'd especially appreciate it if someone could explain why the updates that can be imported into WSUS aren't offered by WSUS synchronizations in the first place.

Dienstag, 30. April 2013 19:14

Antworten

• One of my software vendors recently reported an update that broke their software (FWIW, it's KB2775511).

Not surprising. I presume that software vendors is actively working on a hotfix for their product to work with systems that have KB2775511 installed.
    In order to find out if this update was installed on any of my machines, I checked my WSUS server and found no sign of it at all -- not in All Updates, not even expired in a synchronization somewhere. It turns out you have to download it from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Correct. It was not released via WSUS because of the significant impact it can have on some systems.

I can no longer count on my WSUS server to tell me everything that's needed.

You've never been able to count on the WSUS server to tell you everything that's needed (or available) -- that's not it's purpose. :-)

I realy don't understand why there are multiple systems.  I'd especially appreciate it if someone could explain why the updates that can be imported into WSUS aren't offered by WSUS synchronizations in the first place.

Not all updates are published to WSUS. WSUS is designed as a tool for mass distribution of updates to an enterprise in a controlled fashion. Updates that should not be mass distributed, or that can cause challenges if done so without awareness, are not released to WSUS, and in some cases can be manually imported -- at the discretion of the WSUS Administrator. Of immediate note are Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7, KB2734608 for WSUS v3, and KB2775511. Two of those updates can be imported to WSUS; one cannot.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 16:14
  • You've never been able to count on the WSUS server to tell you everything that's needed (or available) -- that's not it's purpose. :-)

But if I don't know it exists, and Microsoft isn't telling me it's needed, and it requires a cumbersome manual process to deploy -- is it really needed needed?

While I sypmathize with your frustration about not knowing it exists, it's existence is not a secret -- and I'm not really understanding why you believe it has a "cumbersome manual process to deploy".

Whether it's needed or not on your systems is a decision for you to make, nobody else. That will require reading the KB article and making an informed decision as to whether your systems can or will benefit from having this update installed.

The update is available in the Microsoft Update Catalog for those who wish to use WSUS to deploy it; otherwise, it was not automatically released to WU or WSUS because it's impact is way too significant to be treated like any other update -and- the update only applies to domain-member systems anyway, not to consumer systems.

The literature is chock full of WSUS Administrators who blindly installed KB2720211 to their WSUS servers in June, 2012, with less than stellar results! I cringe to think what would happen if the same approach was taken for this update! I for one, am happy that it wasn't published to WSUS.

So we have multiple places to exercise discretion -- via the WSUS approval process, and also hearing about various other fixes through the grapevine, then manually going and getting them.

Yep. Been like that since SUS was released in 2004.

The true beauty of WSUS is that it allows you to automate the tricky error-prone parts and still control what gets installed.

Hmmm.. an interesting perspective. I'm not sure that I agree, though.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Montag, 27. Mai 2013 17:04

Alle Antworten

• I realy don't understand why there are multiple systems.  I'd especially appreciate it if someone could explain why the updates that can be imported into WSUS aren't offered by WSUS synchronizations in the first place.

KB2775511 is available for win7 and server 08r2 thru the WSUS.Did you check the box next to updates in the products and classifications setting?If no,pls check it and then sync WSUS to the MU.So,this kb can appear on your WSUS.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 04:27
  • Sorry, "updates" has always been checked.  But the update has never shown up in a synchronization (the manual sync I did on 3/12/2013 should have picked it up).  The KB article only mentions one way of getting the update -- searching via Update Catalog.   The Update Catalog FAQ says that there are updates that could be imported into WSUS but aren't.  All I've see online are directions to import it into WSUS. From which I can only conclude that KB2775511 is one of those updates.  

Which leads us back to the bigger question: Why?

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 13:03
  • One of my software vendors recently reported an update that broke their software (FWIW, it's KB2775511).

Not surprising. I presume that software vendors is actively working on a hotfix for their product to work with systems that have KB2775511 installed.
    In order to find out if this update was installed on any of my machines, I checked my WSUS server and found no sign of it at all -- not in All Updates, not even expired in a synchronization somewhere. It turns out you have to download it from Microsoft Update Catalog.

Correct. It was not released via WSUS because of the significant impact it can have on some systems.

I can no longer count on my WSUS server to tell me everything that's needed.

You've never been able to count on the WSUS server to tell you everything that's needed (or available) -- that's not it's purpose. :-)

Not all updates are published to WSUS. WSUS is designed as a tool for mass distribution of updates to an enterprise in a controlled fashion. Updates that should not be mass distributed, or that can cause challenges if done so without awareness, are not released to WSUS, and in some cases can be manually imported -- at the discretion of the WSUS Administrator. Of immediate note are Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7, KB2734608 for WSUS v3, and KB2775511. Two of those updates can be imported to WSUS; one cannot.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 16:14
  • You've never been able to count on the WSUS server to tell you everything that's needed (or available) -- that's not it's purpose. :-)

But if I don't know it exists, and Microsoft isn't telling me it's needed, and it requires a cumbersome manual process to deploy -- is it really needed needed? 

And anway, couldn't that be its purpose, if someone wanted it to be?

and in some cases can be manually imported -- at the discretion of the WSUS Administrator.

So we have multiple places to exercise discretion -- via the WSUS approval process, and also hearing about various other fixes through the grapevine, then manually going and getting them.

The true beauty of WSUS is that it allows you to automate the tricky error-prone parts and still control what gets installed.  

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 18:28

While I sypmathize with your frustration about not knowing it exists, it's existence is not a secret -- and I'm not really understanding why you believe it has a "cumbersome manual process to deploy".

Whether it's needed or not on your systems is a decision for you to make, nobody else. That will require reading the KB article and making an informed decision as to whether your systems can or will benefit from having this update installed.

The update is available in the Microsoft Update Catalog for those who wish to use WSUS to deploy it; otherwise, it was not automatically released to WU or WSUS because it's impact is way too significant to be treated like any other update -and- the update only applies to domain-member systems anyway, not to consumer systems.

The literature is chock full of WSUS Administrators who blindly installed KB2720211 to their WSUS servers in June, 2012, with less than stellar results! I cringe to think what would happen if the same approach was taken for this update! I for one, am happy that it wasn't published to WSUS.

Yep. Been like that since SUS was released in 2004.

Hmmm.. an interesting perspective. I'm not sure that I agree, though.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft

Montag, 27. Mai 2013 17:04