none
computers reporting to replica server is not getting updated on main stream server.

Frage

• I have 14 WSUS servers across all sites. One is mainstream server and others are it downstream replica servers. Till last week every thing was working fine. But now I can not see computers reporting to replica server on main stream server.
    Freitag, 6. Januar 2012 07:06

Antworten

• Hi Lawrence,

I have checked below settings at Upstream server.

1. Options| Personalization | General | Include computers and status from replica downstream servers check box on the upstream server which is already enabled

2. Options | Reporting Rollup on the upstream server which is already enabled

I have also checked  Options | Reporting Rollup on the downstream server which is in greyed out mode and upstream server logs from C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\Change.log where there is nothing more than below entry.

2011-12-31 03:04:50.420 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-01 03:04:45.442 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-02 03:04:44.593 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-03 03:04:42.671 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-04 03:04:51.649 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-05 03:04:39.648 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-06 03:04:44.709 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-07 03:05:00.669 UTC Downloading retried
    2012-01-08 03:04:39.577 UTC Downloading retried

Hi,

Pls make sure the GMT time is identical among all these WSUS servers. If the upper and down wsus servers' system time differ, it may lead to some syncing problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Montag, 9. Januar 2012 07:55
  • Finally the reporting rollup issue got resolved after providing sys admin prevelges for network service, and built in admin admin on the upstream server SQL DB. we were actually getting below error in softwaredistribution.log which is vanished now.

2012-06-01 07:33:20.258 UTC       Error      w3wp.5                HistoryEventProcessor.ProcessEvents   Error occurred while processing events in database. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'sysindexes', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'.

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()

Thanks, Shiju

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen ShijuC Dienstag, 5. Juni 2012 05:05
    • Als Antwort markiert Gautam Kumar Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 06:21
    Dienstag, 5. Juni 2012 05:05

Alle Antworten

• I can not see computers reporting to replica server on main stream server.

And are they reporting to the replica server?

And is the replica server properly sychronizing?

We're going to need more details about the scenario than just a simple problem statement.

What diagnostics have you performed so far? What do you know that is working correctly?

Since it was working, and now is not: The core question is always this: What Changed?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    Freitag, 6. Januar 2012 18:38
  • Let me clarify some more details about my WSUS implementation on site.

I have 14 WSUS servers across multiple sites. One is main stream server and others are downstream replica servers reporting to single main stream server.  As per screenshot below all downstream servers are syncronisizing successfully.

When I try to pull report of all approved patches from Main stream server I just get details about systems directly reporting to it. However I am not able to get any update/report regarding any systems who all are directly reporting to replica servers however when I log on to those replica server I can get those details. This issue is not with single replica server but with all replica servers who are reporting to main stream server.

Another thing is that all Replica servers are working fine and getting all updates approved from mainstream server only problem is that I can not get a consolidated report and can not find computers details reporting to replica servers from main stream server.

Samstag, 7. Januar 2012 18:37
  • When I try to pull report of all approved patches from Main stream server I just get details about systems directly reporting to it. However I am not able to get any update/report regarding any systems who all are directly reporting to replica servers however when I log on to those replica server I can get those details. This issue is not with single replica server but with all replica servers who are reporting to main stream server.

Sounds to me like you have failed to enable reporting rollup.

Please check Options | Reporting Rollup on the upstream server to ensure it has been enabled.

Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Sonntag, 8. Januar 2012 05:03
  • Hi Lawrence,

1. Options| Personalization | General | Include computers and status from replica downstream servers check box on the upstream server which is already enabled

I have also checked  Options | Reporting Rollup on the downstream server which is in greyed out mode and upstream server logs from C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\Change.log where there is nothing more than below entry.

Sonntag, 8. Januar 2012 19:09
  • Hi Lawrence,

Hi,

Pls make sure the GMT time is identical among all these WSUS servers. If the upper and down wsus servers' system time differ, it may lead to some syncing problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Montag, 9. Januar 2012 07:55
  • Me too facing the same problem, i have got 1 upstream and 11 downstream servers. Everything is fine including sync and patch pushing except reports from upstream server when downstream server clients also included.y  It always provide reports of system which are directly reporting to Upstream only.

Thanks, Shiju

Donnerstag, 15. März 2012 13:16
  • Me too facing the same problem, i have got 1 upstream and 11 downstream servers. Everything is fine including sync and patch pushing except reports from upstream server when downstream server clients also included.y  It always provide reports of system which are directly reporting to Upstream only.

If *NONE* of the downstream servers are uploading client state, then -- as discussed in this thread -- verify that Reporting Rollup is enabled on the upstream server.

If it is, then also verify that all servers have the correct TIME configured. If they are all domain member machines, they should be getting time synchronization from the domain controllers. If any are members of different domains, or workgroups, they may not be time synchronized.

Donnerstag, 15. März 2012 16:36
  • Thanks Lawrence for the reply.
    However all of my downstream servers are member servers of same domain and having time sync also fine. Reporting rollup also enabled properly. One issue was, when i do a wsusutil checkhealth command, i get event error 12052, 12042, 12022, 12032, 12002 which says Web services like "Reporting Services, Server to Server Sync etc not working" on upstream server. I am using SSL enabled on upstream server and all downstream without SSL. I figured out these errors were because of IIS anonymous IUSR credentials. I reset this passowrd and updated on IIS and all virtual directories required and did IISRESET. Post this above errors stopped,and information event started coming saying these services working correctly. SSL option is enabled as per MS recommendation on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708550(v=ws.10).aspx. Still the report is coming only for computers reporting directly to upstream now. However i could see the computer counts were increasing. Does it take more time for all downstream server clients also to reflect on upstream reports. Also in the computer list in the upstream console, will it show all computers which are reporting to downstream also normally when reporting rollup is enabled or it will come only in the reports?

Thanks, Shiju

Freitag, 16. März 2012 04:43
  • Replica client data is reported to the upstream server during the server synchronization event, so yes, it will take longer to get data from replica clients than it will to get data from clients of the upstream server.

The upstream server will display state data for all clients of the entire heirarchy when reporting rollup is properly working.

Freitag, 16. März 2012 16:24
  • Thanks Lawrence, Any option to test if Reporting rollup is working properly or not?. Also any other ports used by Replica servers to Upstream communication server other than 80 & 443?

Thanks, Shiju

Freitag, 16. März 2012 17:22
  • Any option to test if Reporting rollup is working properly or not?
    Well, either you have data from a client of a downstream server, or you do not. Not much else to 'test'.
    Also any other ports used by Replica servers to Upstream communication server other than 80 & 443?
    No.

Freitag, 16. März 2012 21:11
  • Finally the reporting rollup issue got resolved after providing sys admin prevelges for network service, and built in admin admin on the upstream server SQL DB. we were actually getting below error in softwaredistribution.log which is vanished now.

2012-06-01 07:33:20.258 UTC       Error      w3wp.5                HistoryEventProcessor.ProcessEvents   Error occurred while processing events in database. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'sysindexes', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'.

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e) at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()

Thanks, Shiju

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen ShijuC Dienstag, 5. Juni 2012 05:05
    • Als Antwort markiert Gautam Kumar Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 06:21
    Dienstag, 5. Juni 2012 05:05