none
Is "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (KB2781514)" offered by Wsusscn2.cab / WSUS ?

Frage

• Hi,

I download Wsusscn2.cab manually and use the Windows Update Agent API to manually detect missing updates, which I then download manually and install.

I've opted in to Microsoft Update (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa826676(v=vs.85).aspx) and get offered Windows Updates as well as Microsoft Office updates.  I also get all the .NET updates.

However, I was not offered "Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 (KB2781514)" or other Visual Studio 2012 updates .  When I use regular Windows Update on my home computer, I get offered Visual Studio updates.

What services do I need to register with Windows Update Agent API to make sure I get "everything"?  Is opting-in to Microsoft Update the only service to "get it all"?  Thanks.

Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2012 15:02

Antworten

• I download Wsusscn2.cab manually and use the Windows Update Agent API to manually detect missing updates, which I then download manually and install.

Which really puts you seriously out-of-scope for this forum. But, perhaps to better understand, is there some reason you've opted to completely reinvent the wheel of WSUS (and then ask in the WSUS forum for how to do this -- to which I'd likely answer "Use WSUS.")

When I use regular Windows Update on my home computer, I get offered Visual Studio updates.

Well, actually, Visual Studio updates aren't available via Windows Update, but they may be available via Microsoft Update. If you can get them on your home computer using MU and the built-in WUApp, but you can't get them using the WUAgent API and the offline CAB ... my guess would be they aren't in the offline CAB. (And frankly, I wouldn't expect a non-security/non-critical update to be in the offline CAB.)

What makes you believe that these Visual Studio 2012 updates would be in the WSUSSCN2.CAB file?

What services do I need to register with Windows Update Agent API to make sure I get "everything"?

The only way *I* know of to "get everything" is to install a WSUS server and synchronize it all. (And not even *everything* is available via WSUS!)

Is opting-in to Microsoft Update the only service to "get it all"?

Well, there's a lot more that will be detectable via MU or WSUS than will be available via the WSUSSCN2.CAB -- like pretty much anything that's not a Security Update or a Service Pack or an Update Rollup.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Dienstag, 1. Januar 2013 02:43

Alle Antworten

• I download Wsusscn2.cab manually and use the Windows Update Agent API to manually detect missing updates, which I then download manually and install.

Which really puts you seriously out-of-scope for this forum. But, perhaps to better understand, is there some reason you've opted to completely reinvent the wheel of WSUS (and then ask in the WSUS forum for how to do this -- to which I'd likely answer "Use WSUS.")

When I use regular Windows Update on my home computer, I get offered Visual Studio updates.

Well, actually, Visual Studio updates aren't available via Windows Update, but they may be available via Microsoft Update. If you can get them on your home computer using MU and the built-in WUApp, but you can't get them using the WUAgent API and the offline CAB ... my guess would be they aren't in the offline CAB. (And frankly, I wouldn't expect a non-security/non-critical update to be in the offline CAB.)

What makes you believe that these Visual Studio 2012 updates would be in the WSUSSCN2.CAB file?

What services do I need to register with Windows Update Agent API to make sure I get "everything"?

The only way *I* know of to "get everything" is to install a WSUS server and synchronize it all. (And not even *everything* is available via WSUS!)

Is opting-in to Microsoft Update the only service to "get it all"?

Well, there's a lot more that will be detectable via MU or WSUS than will be available via the WSUSSCN2.CAB -- like pretty much anything that's not a Security Update or a Service Pack or an Update Rollup.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Dienstag, 1. Januar 2013 02:43
  • Cool, that answers my question!  I just didn't know if I was missing some settings that made it match MU more exactly.  Since I know it's not possible, I'll just have to watch for the "other types of updates" manually.  WSUSSCN2.CAB really makes my life a lot easier at work at places I'm not allowed to run MU.

Freitag, 4. Januar 2013 15:45
  • WSUSSCN2.CAB really makes my life a lot easier at work at places I'm not allowed to run MU.

As a follow-up.. I would caution you to research what updates are actually contained in the WSUSSCN2.CAB and why that file exists.

From Using WUA to Scan for Updates Offiline (Windows) in MSDN:

The WsusScan.cab file contains the security updates, update rollups, and service packs that are available from Microsoft Update. The WsusScan.cab file is automatically updated when a security update, update rollup, or service pack is added, removed, or revised on the Microsoft Updates site.

The point being -- it does not include ALL updates, and to that point, will probably never include KB2781514, even if that update does (or has been) released to MU/WSUS. (WSUSSCN2.CAB is just the newer schema revision of the original WSUSSCAN.CAB. Unfortunately, updating documentation about the internal side of WSUS and the Windows Update Agent has never been high on Microsoft's priority list.)

For updated operational information regarding WSUSSCN2.CAB, please refer to KB927745.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)

Samstag, 2. Februar 2013 03:48