none
DNS - IPv6 registering but not IPv4

Frage

• Hi all,

Running server 2008 sp2 and server 2003 sp2 both are running DNS, with the goal of phasing out the 2003 DNS server (this may have nothing to do with the problem but thought I should mention it).  With some Vista clients, I noticed in DNS when they dynamically register, that some have IPv4 addresses and IPv6 addresses (this is fine).  But some only have the IPv6 addresses.  Why is that? And how do I make it so that they register an IPv4 DNS name?  Also, we are not using IPv6.  When I convert the IPv6 to IPv4 (using an online conversion tool), it’s the same address as the IPv4.  Any ideas would be great.  I just checked and IPv6 addresses are not being listed in the reverse which is fine.

TIA

Freitag, 4. Dezember 2009 19:10

Antworten

• Hi Tim,

As you might consider phasing out Windows Server 2003, please try install and configure DHCP server on Windows Server 2008. This can help us to register both IPv4 and IPv6 record on DNS server.

Meanwhile, for a test purpose, please try disable "discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted" to see if the IPv4 address will be successuflly registered after you deploy DHCP server.

For your reference:

The DHCPv6 Protocol

DHCPv6 Support in Windows

Windows Vista™ and Windows Server 2008 include a DHCPv6 client. The DHCPv6 client attempts DHCPv6-based configuration depending on the values of the M and O flags in received router advertisement messages. Therefore, to use DHCPv6, you must configure DHCPv6 servers and relay agents to service each IPv6 subnet and then configure your IPv6 routers to set these two flags to their appropriate values. If there are multiple advertising routers for a given subnet, they should be configured to advertise the same stateless address prefixes and values of the M and O flags. IPv6 hosts running Windows® XP or Windows Server 2003 do not include a DHCPv6 client and therefore ignore the values of the M and O flags in received router advertisements.

You can configure an IPv6 router that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 to set the M flag to 1 in router advertisements with the "netsh interface ipv6 set interface InterfaceName managedaddress=enabled" command. Similarly, you can set the O flag to 1 in router advertisements with the "netsh interface ipv6 set interface InterfaceName otherstateful=enabled" command.

New Networking Features in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) support DHCPv6, defined in RFC 3315, provides stateful address configuration for IPv6 hosts on a native IPv6 network. The DHCP Client service in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 supports DHCPv6. A computer running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 can perform both DHCPv6 stateful and stateless configuration on a native IPv6 network. The DHCP Server service in Windows Server 2008 supports DHCPv6 stateful (both addresses and configuration settings) and stateless (configuration settings only) operation.

Hope this can be helpful.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen David Shen Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 03:09
    • Als Antwort markiert David Shen Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 04:08
    Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2009 06:18

Alle Antworten

• Hello toolbox,

It is hard to say why some of the Windows Vista clients only register IPv6 address in DNS server.

You may find a normal windows vista client and a client in question to post the result of "ipconfig /all" command line here for comparison.

In order to force register Windows Vista client with its IPv4 address, please refer to the following KB article to disable IPv6 components.  Please Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface. This value configures Windows Vista to use Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) instead of IPv6 in prefix policies.

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929852

Hope it helps.

Montag, 7. Dezember 2009 11:03
  • Hi David,

Here is a portion of the ipconfig /all.

This top info is on the notebook that doesn’t work.  As you can see it says IPv4 preferred but it registers it only as IPv6.

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6A-0F-60-CA

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.78.132(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 07, 2009 8:33:40 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:33:40 AM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.78.254

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 142.25.81.23

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

On this one, it registered for both the IPv4 and v6.

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6A-3C-17-68

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2194:5016:1eaa:d128%13(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.78.163(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 06, 2009 1:56:53 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 14, 2009 1:57:07 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.78.254

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234889578

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-1B-3A-D9-00-23-7D-00-28-

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 142.25.79.25

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 142.25.81.23

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I will try the registry hack but I would like to avoid that if possible.  May cause us grief down the road.

Thanks

Montag, 7. Dezember 2009 18:29
  • Hi toolbox,

From the ipconfig result, it seems that all the clients got their IP address via DHCP.

For your reference, I have research on the How DHCP v6 dynamic update DNS records.

DHCP v6 DNS dynamic update has only 2 options.

1. Dynamically update AAAA and PTR records only if requested by client
    2. Always update dynamically both AAAA and PTR Record.

Behavior of IPv6 DNS dynamic update for workgroup and domain clients are different.

If you set the option "Dynamically update AAAA and PTR records only if requested by client", the DHCPV6 always does the PTR registration and the Client does AAAA registration by default (This is by design).

If the client has to register the AAAA record, the machine should have Primary DNS suffix and the workgroup machine. Using option 24, we are just pushing the DNS suffix list not the Primary DNS suffix.

The DNS suffix we push using option 24 will be applied as connection’s DNS suffix.

To enable the workgroup client to register AAAA records on its own, we have to either add the Primary DNS suffix or Select the option "Use this connection’s DNS suffix in DNS registration" in the TCP/IPàDNS tab.

If the machine is a part of domain , it will have Primary DNS suffix as the domain name and can register the AAAA records on its own and the DHCP server registers PTR record.

When you set the option "Always update dynamically both AAAA and PTR Record", the DHCPv6 server will do both AAAA and PTR record registration.

If we have workgroup machines and DHCPv6 , we need to configure the Dynamic DNS update
    on the zone to both Secure and Non-Secure and configure the DHCPv6 to "Always update dynamically both AAAA and PTR Record".

You may begin to check with DHCP configuration in this case.

Besides, please "ipconfig /release" first, and then run "ipconfig /renew" on the notebook that doesn't work. Will IPv4 address be registered on DNS server in this case?

Hope it helps.

Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2009 06:38
  • Hi David,

All my machines are in our domain.

In the DHCP DNS the following is configured:

always dynamically update DNS A and PTR records.

discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted

dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP ....

I also noticed in your write up you are using AAAA (which is for IPv6).  In my configuration window all I see is A.  Is this fine?  If I were to install DHCP on a Windows 2008 Server would that maybe fix things (right now its on a Windows 2003 server).

Besides, please "ipconfig /release" first, and then run "ipconfig /renew" on the notebook that doesn't work. Will IPv4 address be registered on DNS server in this case?  No it doesnt register an IPv4 address but it does create an IPv4 PTR record.

Thanks.

Tim
    Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2009 21:57
  • Hi Tim,

As you might consider phasing out Windows Server 2003, please try install and configure DHCP server on Windows Server 2008. This can help us to register both IPv4 and IPv6 record on DNS server.

Meanwhile, for a test purpose, please try disable "discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted" to see if the IPv4 address will be successuflly registered after you deploy DHCP server.

For your reference:

The DHCPv6 Protocol

DHCPv6 Support in Windows

Windows Vista™ and Windows Server 2008 include a DHCPv6 client. The DHCPv6 client attempts DHCPv6-based configuration depending on the values of the M and O flags in received router advertisement messages. Therefore, to use DHCPv6, you must configure DHCPv6 servers and relay agents to service each IPv6 subnet and then configure your IPv6 routers to set these two flags to their appropriate values. If there are multiple advertising routers for a given subnet, they should be configured to advertise the same stateless address prefixes and values of the M and O flags. IPv6 hosts running Windows® XP or Windows Server 2003 do not include a DHCPv6 client and therefore ignore the values of the M and O flags in received router advertisements.

You can configure an IPv6 router that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 to set the M flag to 1 in router advertisements with the "netsh interface ipv6 set interface InterfaceName managedaddress=enabled" command. Similarly, you can set the O flag to 1 in router advertisements with the "netsh interface ipv6 set interface InterfaceName otherstateful=enabled" command.

New Networking Features in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6) support DHCPv6, defined in RFC 3315, provides stateful address configuration for IPv6 hosts on a native IPv6 network. The DHCP Client service in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 supports DHCPv6. A computer running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 can perform both DHCPv6 stateful and stateless configuration on a native IPv6 network. The DHCP Server service in Windows Server 2008 supports DHCPv6 stateful (both addresses and configuration settings) and stateless (configuration settings only) operation.

Hope this can be helpful.

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen David Shen Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 03:09
    • Als Antwort markiert David Shen Montag, 14. Dezember 2009 04:08
    Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2009 06:18
  • I'm seeing similar behavior with Win 7 clients on a dual ipv6/ipv4 network.  WinXP clients get DHCPv4 & v6 addresses and have no problems with registration.  Win 7 clients often lose their reg at lease renewal.  ipconfig /release, /renew has no effect.  Only when I unbind IPv4 from the client and rebind it will it register. 

I'm using Server 2008 R2 STD as my DHCP and DNS server (there's a second DNS server @ 2008 STD).  I've unchecked discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted, but I fear this will only mask the problem until we eventually end up with a mismatched record / lease.

edit:  after unchecking the discard option on the DHCP server, a simple ipconfig /release, /renew correctly registered the IPv4 addy.  We'll see if it persists through multiple leases / leases with new IPs.

Donnerstag, 10. Juni 2010 14:40
  • We also have the same issue here.  We found that doing an ipconfig /registerdns on the client machine would force the A record to show up on the server, but obviously this is impractical to do on a regular basis on the 1200 client machines we have here.  I am going to uncheck the "discard A records" box on the DHCP server as well, but I fear the issue of multiple records for the same IP will crop up.  It's better than the alternative for now, but I wish Microsoft had a real fix for this other than suggesting we upgrade all our DHCP servers to Server 2008.
    Montag, 26. Juli 2010 17:56
  • I am having the same problem, but in my environment my DHCP server is running on the Server 2008 R2 system, so that is NOT the fix.  Has anyone come up with an answer?

Thank you

Arch

Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2010 14:09
  • Be sure that both ip4 abd ip6 are enabled on tcp/ip settingsforyournetwork adaptor! We used to disable ip6 on these bu realized that then all ip4 addresses were gone! Haven't found why but for sure when you enable ip6, ip4 records appeared on DNS! 
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen ITC-Dennis Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012 16:55
    • Nicht als Antwort vorgeschlagen ITC-Dennis Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012 16:56
    Montag, 24. Januar 2011 09:10
  • Hi all,

I didn't want to disable IPv6 completely, I just wanted to have IPv4 preferred over IPv6.  Scrolling to the middle of the page in this link I found a Microsoft FixIt tool that did exactly that.  It basically makes the Hive changes for you and for me that's a plus because I'm the typo-master.  Note that a restart afterward is obviously required.  You're also given instructions so you can fix it yourself if that's your preferred method.

Take Care & Happy Computing,

Dennis, ITC

• Bearbeitet ITC-Dennis Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012 17:03
    Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012 17:01