none
MCITP Study Question - operations master roles

Frage

• I'm currently using the MS Press kit to study for the 70-640 exam and one of the questions on the practice test doesn't make sense to me.  Can I get a second opinion on this?  I will change a bit of the wording so that I am not directly plagiarizing their work:

"You are an administrator at Burlap Coats, Ltd.  The forest consists of two domains, burlapcoats.com and windows.burlapcoats.com.  Server-02.windows.burlapcoats.com performs all of the five operation master roles.  You are going to decommission the windows.burlapcoats.com domain and move all accounts to burlapcoats.com.  You want to transfer all operations masters to server-01.burlapcoats.com  Which operations masters do you transfer?  (choose all that apply)"

The program says that the correct answers are schema master and domain naming master.  This is where I am confused.  Is it possible for a subdomain to hold the forest roles?  I always thought that those were pretty much kept at the forest root level.

Samstag, 9. Juni 2012 06:10

Antworten

• The program says that the correct answers are schema master and domain naming master.  This is where I am confused.  Is it possible for a subdomain to hold the forest roles?  I always thought that those were pretty much kept at the forest root level.

Hello,

According to above info, you have two domains and that are 

1. burlapcoats.com
    2. windows.burlapcoats.com  & 
    1. Server-02.windows.burlapcoats.com ---holds all 5 FSMO roles(including 2 forest wide and 3 domain wide roles)
    2. server-01.burlapcoats.com ----Hold only domain wide roles(PDC Emulator, RID master and Infrastructure master) to its domain burlapcoats.com.

Since windows.burlapcoats.com is going to decommission, there will be only one domain in the forest i.e.burlapcoats.com & server-01.burlapcoats.com needs two additional roles that are forest wide roles(Schema master & domain naming master)

Moreover, forest wide roles can be hold by any one server in a forest and these roles must be unique in the forest. This means that throughout the entire forest there can be only one schema master and one domain naming master.(in you case it is server-02.windows.burlapcoats.com)

for more details have a look in:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773108(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards, Ravikumar P

Samstag, 9. Juni 2012 12:52

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

It's a best practice to keep them at the forest root level but they can be moved to every domain in the forest.

FSMO Placement :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223346/en-us

Cdt,

Samstag, 9. Juni 2012 06:44
  • The program says that the correct answers are schema master and domain naming master.  This is where I am confused.  Is it possible for a subdomain to hold the forest roles?  I always thought that those were pretty much kept at the forest root level.

Hello,

According to above info, you have two domains and that are 

1. burlapcoats.com
    2. windows.burlapcoats.com  & 
    1. Server-02.windows.burlapcoats.com ---holds all 5 FSMO roles(including 2 forest wide and 3 domain wide roles)
    2. server-01.burlapcoats.com ----Hold only domain wide roles(PDC Emulator, RID master and Infrastructure master) to its domain burlapcoats.com.

Since windows.burlapcoats.com is going to decommission, there will be only one domain in the forest i.e.burlapcoats.com & server-01.burlapcoats.com needs two additional roles that are forest wide roles(Schema master & domain naming master)

Moreover, forest wide roles can be hold by any one server in a forest and these roles must be unique in the forest. This means that throughout the entire forest there can be only one schema master and one domain naming master.(in you case it is server-02.windows.burlapcoats.com)

for more details have a look in:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773108(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards, Ravikumar P

Samstag, 9. Juni 2012 12:52
  • Hi,

I agree with above suggestions. As we know that we 'd better put the  tow forest wide roles on the default root domain, but we could put them on other domains either.

In this question, we only need to move the two forest wide roles from the DC which will be decommissioned to the other domain.

Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Montag, 11. Juni 2012 07:12
  • Hello,

in a forest 2 FSMO roles are foresst wide, Schema master and Domain naming master. As the other domain already has the 3 other FSMO roles(PDCEmulator, RID Master, Infrastructure master) the answer is correct.

Please run "netdom query fsmo" on each DC of the different domains to understand the FSMO roles in the forest.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Montag, 11. Juni 2012 07:19
  • Thanks for the explanations everyone.  Ravikumar's explanation helped to explain where they were going with this question.
    Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 00:15