none
Windows Update Agent

Frage

• I would like to know if the Windows Update Agent current installation package has logic to detect newer versions of the Windows Update Agent.  The reason being, we are seing workstations that do not report in WSUS.  To fix these workstations, we found the following solution to work:

1. Run "wusetup.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart”
    2. Run "wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow”

What I have done is create an MSI package that contains the most current Windows Update Agent and I created two custom actions that run the two executables and their respective parameters.  My question is, does the Windows Update Agent installation have logic to detect newer versions of the WUA?  If there is a newer version of the client on the target machine, will the installation exit or downgrade the newer versioin of WuA?

Freitag, 30. April 2010 23:06

Antworten

• "Shazer1976" wrote in message news:aca02d86-0fd9-48cd-96cc-040aea84126f...

I would like to know if the Windows Update Agent current installation package has logic to detect newer versions of the Windows Update Agent.  The reason being, we are seing workstations that do not report in WSUS.  To fix these workstations, we found the following solution to work:

What I have done is create an MSI package that contains the most current Windows Update Agent and I created two custom actions that run the two executables and their respective parameters.  My question is, does the Windows Update Agent installation have logic to detect newer versions of the WUA?  If there is a newer version of the client on the target machine, will the installation exit or downgrade the newer versioin of WuA?

The WUAgent does have logic to selfupdate, and it performs this test every time it successfully connects to an update source (AU, WU, MU, WSUS); however, if it is unable to connect, due to corruption in the agent installation, for example, then the selfupdate check cannot be performed.

Based on what you've reported, I suspect that may have been the case since reinstalling the same WUAgent (using wusetup.exe) from the local machine appears to have resolved your issue.

As for building your own MSI package ... that Is wholly unnecessary. See KB949104 for links to obtain the Microsoft packaged distribution of the WUAgent.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2010)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Als Antwort markiert Fred Duarte Montag, 3. Mai 2010 15:02
    Samstag, 1. Mai 2010 15:16

Alle Antworten

• "Shazer1976" wrote in message news:aca02d86-0fd9-48cd-96cc-040aea84126f...

I would like to know if the Windows Update Agent current installation package has logic to detect newer versions of the Windows Update Agent.  The reason being, we are seing workstations that do not report in WSUS.  To fix these workstations, we found the following solution to work:

The WUAgent does have logic to selfupdate, and it performs this test every time it successfully connects to an update source (AU, WU, MU, WSUS); however, if it is unable to connect, due to corruption in the agent installation, for example, then the selfupdate check cannot be performed.

Based on what you've reported, I suspect that may have been the case since reinstalling the same WUAgent (using wusetup.exe) from the local machine appears to have resolved your issue.

As for building your own MSI package ... that Is wholly unnecessary. See KB949104 for links to obtain the Microsoft packaged distribution of the WUAgent.

• Als Antwort markiert Fred Duarte Montag, 3. Mai 2010 15:02
    Samstag, 1. Mai 2010 15:16
  • Lawrence,

Thank you for your input.  In your opinion,  what would be the best solution? 

1. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /uninstall 

2. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /norestartforapi

Or simply:

1. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /norestartforapi

Or

1. Extract the package.

2. Run "wusetup.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart”

3. Run "wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Also, what if the target machine has a newer version of WUA and I try to install a previous version?  Will the setup exit?

Thank your for the input.

Montag, 3. Mai 2010 15:24
  • "Shazer1976" wrote in message news:bb14174e-bfbb-4239-87db-8df996cd2f86...

Lawrence,

Thank you for your input.  In your opinion,  what would be the best solution? 

1. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /uninstall 

2. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /norestartforapi

Or simply:

1. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /quiet /norestart /norestartforapi

Or

1. Extract the package.

2. Run "wusetup.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart”

3. Run "wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

Actually.. I would just run WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

On the odd chance that it's already installed, the /wuforce switch will ensure it is RE-installed (correctly).

Otherwise, simply running the raw command is sufficient to do an installation/upgrade. There is no need for command line options.

Montag, 3. Mai 2010 21:04
  • Mark,

What if the target machine has a greater version already installed?  Will it downgrade it?

Dienstag, 4. Mai 2010 16:22
  • "Fred Duarte" wrote in message news:bcb05291-cf7c-41b2-a1f5-a18cc55a001b...

What if the target machine has a greater version already installed?  Will it downgrade it?

Well, truly this is a theoretical question since the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe that you would be downloading today would have the *latest* version, so it would be impossible for the target machine to have a greater version already installed.

The only way this could happen realistically is if you're using a WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86 with a downlevel version, in which case the /wuforce would for the installation of the downlevel agent, which would then promptly selfupdate at the next detection cycle . . . or would fail detection completely if unable to selfupdate.

Dienstag, 4. Mai 2010 19:19
  • 1. WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /uninstall 
    the /uninstall switch only works if you are running the exe file under Windows Vista, Server 2008 or Seven.  that uninstalls the current version and restores the previously installed version of the Windows Update Agent after a reboot.  the "uninstall" switch does not really work on Windows 2000, XP or Server 2003 as that will make the WUA setup file tell you that WUA is already installed and that you don't need to install it again.
    Samstag, 14. Juli 2012 21:08