none
Wsus on an internal network

Frage

• We have an internal network that does not connect to the internet. I move WsusContent over from an external network server using an external hard drive. we follow the instructions for moving the metadata using export and import and everything seems to be working fine on the internal WSUS server. My only problem is that everytime after I do the import the Wsus loses all the previous defined approvals and declines. So I have to go over all of them again. Is there a way to avoid this??
    Mittwoch, 6. März 2013 13:01

Alle Antworten

• My only problem is that everytime after I do the import the Wsus loses all the previous defined approvals and declines.

I'm a bit confused... you say that "everything seems to be working fine on the internal WSUS server", and then say you're losing approvals -- is this on the *connected* server or on the *disconnected* server? Neither server should not lose the existing approvals/declines!

How EXACTLY (step-by-step) are you performing the move from connected to disconnected?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Donnerstag, 7. März 2013 02:16
  • I copy over the wsus content from the external network to the internal network server.

On the external network I run wsusutil.exe export export.cab export.log

I copy those 2 files from the external network to the internal netweork server

On the internal network server I run from the command line wsusutil.exe import export.cab import.log

I know that I am probably missing a step that is why I wrote into this forum.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you

Sonntag, 17. März 2013 10:32
  • I copy over the wsus content from the external network to the internal network server.

On the external network I run wsusutil.exe export export.cab export.log

I copy those 2 files from the external network to the internal netweork server

On the internal network server I run from the command line wsusutil.exe import export.cab import.log

Perfect.

However, it's important to understand that this procedure does NOT transfer approvals from the connected server to the disconnected server. You must re-issue the approvals on the disconnected server.

Is that what you meant by "losing approvals"?

Now, if you mean that *ALL* of the approvals and declines are disappearing on the disconnected server, then we have an entirely different (and totally unexpected) issue to investigate.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Dienstag, 21. Mai 2013 22:27