none
Hyper-V Server: "Hypervisor not running"

Frage

• Hello,
    I'm currently testing (or trying to test) the stand-alone Hyper-V Server for my company.
    After installing the Hyper-V Server and Drivers for Network, I was all set to go.
    However, when I try to start a newly created Virtual Computer I get an error message telling me that the Hypervisor is not running (can't give you the exact wording because I'm using the german version, sorry).

I checked to see if the CPU supported everything necessary, which yielded the following results:
    - it is a 64bit CPU (Intel Core2Duo E7300, 2x2.66 GHz)
    - it does have Data Execution Protection (DEP), implemented as the Intel XD bit
    - it does have Intel VT (capability for virtualization)
    (however: Everest Home (a hardware analyzation tool) says that the CPU supports "Virtual Mode Extension", but not "Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool)" or "Secure Virtual Machine Extensions (Pacifica)". Maybe this is the Problem?)

I activated these features in the machine's BIOS, and even pulled the plug on the machine (after properly shutting it down), as the Hyper-V manual says.

I'm guessing that the problem may be that the CPU supports virtualization, though the mainboard doesn't (or something along those lines). Maybe it is the processor, I'm not very knowledgeable about Hardware.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,
    -Patrick

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention the mainboard type. The computer is a Dell Optiplex 760, I'm having some trouble finding out a model name for the mainboard, everest can't seem to recognize it. -p.
    Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 12:23

Antworten

• killing-time said:

however: Everest Home (a hardware analyzation tool) says that the CPU supports "Virtual Mode Extension", but not "Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool)" or "Secure Virtual Machine Extensions (Pacifica)". Maybe this is the Problem?

I hate to quote myself, but this seems to be the problem.
    I downloaded a utility (Securable) which can find out if the PC is capable of virtualization.
    To make a long story short: the target machine wasn't :(
    I'm going to try installing the hyper v server on a different machine.

What grinds my gears is that MS didn't include a check like this in the Hyper-V installer :(

Kind regards,

-Patrick
    • Als Antwort markiert killing-time Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 14:14
    Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 14:14

Alle Antworten

• I cant give you spefied reason but I am 97% sure that you need to go back BIOS and check setup. I had exact problem, and did evetything that I could and still the reason was in BIOS.

Hint check everything again in bios! 
    Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 12:46
  • Hi Dille,

Thanks for your reply!
    I just went through the computer's BIOS again, looking at every option which might have to do with virtualization issues.
    There aren't really much of those, and i activated everything which might even remotely have to do with the problems I'm having.
    Unfortunately, the hypervisor still won't run.

Can you still remember which setting solved your problem?

Thanks very much,
    -Patrick
    • Bearbeitet killing-time Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 13:26 typo
    Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 13:24
  • killing-time said:

however: Everest Home (a hardware analyzation tool) says that the CPU supports "Virtual Mode Extension", but not "Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool)" or "Secure Virtual Machine Extensions (Pacifica)". Maybe this is the Problem?

I hate to quote myself, but this seems to be the problem.
    I downloaded a utility (Securable) which can find out if the PC is capable of virtualization.
    To make a long story short: the target machine wasn't :(
    I'm going to try installing the hyper v server on a different machine.

What grinds my gears is that MS didn't include a check like this in the Hyper-V installer :(

Kind regards,

-Patrick
    • Als Antwort markiert killing-time Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 14:14
    Mittwoch, 26. November 2008 14:14
  • Hi,

I found this thread by doing a Google search for "Optiplex 760 Hyper V", if that's how you got here .... then read on .....

Like the original poster, killing-time, I too tried to get Hyper-V running on a Dell Optiplex 760 (slightly different version though, I'm trying Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate and attempting to add the Hyper-V "Role").
    I get an error which says "the processor on this computer is not compatible with Hyper-V. To install this role, the processor must have a supported version of hardware assisted virtualization, and that feature must be turned on in the BIOS".
    This stumped me at first, as all the correct settings in the BIOS seemed to be applied (I even updated the BIOS to current latest, A05).
    Then, I loaded CPU-Z from cpuid.com which showed an Intel Core2 Duo E7300 (same model as killing-time).

I then checked Ed Bott's article about hardware virtualization support needed to enable Windows 7 Virtual XP Mode (see http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946 ) and, sure enough, the E7300 processor model is listed as not compatible ( for Win 7 style virtualization ). Hmm, interesting ....

My conclusion ?  It's not that a Dell Optiplex 760 won't run Hyper-V, but, that a Dell Optiplex 760 fitted with a Core 2 Duo E7300 won't run Hyper-V. There are lots of other processor variants in the Dell Optiplex 760, so, SOME Optiplex 760s may be able to run Hyper-V , i.e. the ones that have Core 2 Duo 8400 or 8500.

I will soon be getting access to a new Optiplex 760 with an E8500 model Core 2 Duo and I will post here again when I get a chance to try Hyper-V on it.

Regards to all
    Montag, 9. November 2009 16:41
  • Yes, success with Optiplex 760 and Hyper-V ..

I just had access to a Dell Optiplex 760 fitted with an E8500 model Core 2 Duo and can confirm that there's no problem adding the Hyper-V Role to Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate ...
    all went well, no problems configuring Virtual Machines --- in the first few minutes I got several VMs originally created in Virtual PC 2007 imported (appropriate drivers and integration software added automatically during the import process .. great!)

Regards to all
    Montag, 23. November 2009 16:44
  • Just to add, I looked this issue up on Intel's web site and sure enough the E7300 does NOT support intel virtualization: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36463

I have come across quite a few issues related to certain Intel CPU's not being fully compatible with hyper v :-(

Scott
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen scottweber Montag, 23. November 2009 16:54
    Montag, 23. November 2009 16:54
  • Hello,

i downloaded windows virtual pc and winndows xp mode on my computer and it didn't works .. i 've got the following error

( canno start windows virtual PC host process)

i have Dell Optiplex 760 fitted with an E7400 model Core 2 Duo

regards

atta
    Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2010 07:58
  • Hi

Dear I have faced the same problem. I have Dell Desktop. I went to the BIOS under Performance you will find visualization just change it from off to on and hopefully it will work. :)

Regards,

Sonntag, 18. März 2012 16:36