none
"Hyper V Server 2008 R2" Access is denied/ Unable to establish communication between...

Frage

• Trying lab up Hyper V Server 2008 R2. Want to be able to set it up to virtualise the DC, crazy idea I know. So to get the setup working we have to first setup the Hyper V servers via a workgroup, then get the DC running ontop, then join them to the domain.

And that's where the headaches start. I cannot for the life of me get a Windows 7 SP1 machine with the RSAT installed to connect to the Hyper V server to get us as far as being able to install a VM. Get stuck at "Access is denied. Unable to establish communication between ..." when trying to connect via the Hyper-V Manager. I can right click the server and change what properties are available there, just the Virtual Machines manager will not open.

Now I've followed John Howard's great blog entries guiding through setting this up, but none of the guides are for "Hyper V Server 2008 R2", the closest one details setting up on Server Core with the Hyper V role, all the steps are applicable except the WMI Control which while remotely connected shows no entries under "Root". But regardless of that I ran the 'hvremote' script adding both the administrator and another account called test.

Just to clarify, both PCs are on a workgroup called "WORKGROUP" both have administrator and test with the same passwords. I can connect via computer manager, access the other Hyper V options in the manager, and even map drives with the current credentials between the computers. Also I've turned the firewall off on the server and client and tested with no change.

Just wanted to add, as thankful as I am that MS have released this product for free, this has been a fucking nightmare to just get working. I really don't understand Microsoft's logic in this product. As a support tech for multiple small businesses the general setup we follow is SBS 2kX virtualised incase of any failure, so what is Microsoft's suggested way to set that up via Hyper V? Is that a strange thing to do or what? To me continuing with ESXi and Vsphere client is looking a lot less frustrating for the same free price honestly

Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 00:04

Alle Antworten

• did you use the hvremote scripts?

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote

10-second guide

Configuration Where Purpose Commands
    Client and Server both workgroup Server Create a local account (eg "john") Use net user /? or Computer Management
      Server Grant the user access cscript hvremote.wsf /add:accountname ***
      Client Allow Anonymous Logon remote DCOM access cscript hvremote.wsf /anondcom:grant
      Client Logon with matching local account. Ctrl+Alt+Del :)
      Client If passwords do not match cmdkey /add:servername /user:servername\account /pass
      Client Set firewall exception cscript hvremote.wsf /mmc:enable
      Both Verify configuration for errors cscript hvremote.wsf /show /target:othercomputername
    Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 02:31
  • "But regardless of that I ran the 'hvremote' script"
    Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 04:25
  • Hi,

If you encountered any issues when you configured hvremote scripts, it is recommend that you perform the further research in the following dedicated forum so that you can get the most qualified pool of respondents. Thanks for your understanding.

Discussions for Hyper-V Remote Management Configuration Utility

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/HVRemote/Thread/List.aspx

By the way, you can check the following link.

Hyper-V Error – Access Denied. Unable to establish communication between Hyper-V and Client

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2009/06/hyper-v-error-access-denied-unable-to.html

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 05:48
  • Hi!

I also had problems with this a while ago. I solved it by making modifycations to the DCOM security step in John Howards guide. I remember giving myself, everyone and anonymous full permissions in all DCOM security tabs that I found.

Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 06:59
  • "But regardless of that I ran the 'hvremote' script"

Sorry, missed that.
    Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 17:14
  • Try to disable Windows Firewall on the core box. You might have to create an inbound rule. I was able to resolve an issue by creating a UDP inbound rule.
    Dienstag, 10. Januar 2012 00:08