none
Server 2012 ignoring Group Policy for Automatic Updates

Frage

• I apologize as this is a bit of a re-post, but I have recently begun rolling out some 2012 servers and they are ignoring GPOs for Automatic Updates for staggering reboots.  All 2008 and 2008 R2 servers work without issue and install and reboot in accordance with their applied policy.  The desired polices are being applied successfully to the 2012 servers but they are not honoring the set policy time which is quite the headache.

From what I have been able to find, Automatic Maintenance runs as a scheduled task by default in 2012 at 3 AM everyday unless specified at a different time.  Automatic Maintenance checks for several things and not just updates.  The odd thing about this is that it forces you to run the task every day so as soon as I release updates via WSUS, the next morning/night the Automatic Maintenance task runs, the server installs the updates and reboots ignoring any policy set to control the time the server reboots.

I know others have experienced this same issue as I've seen similar threads, but no official fix or resolution appears to be out there.  I have set Regular Maintenance under Task Scheduler to coincide with the GPO applied to (run every Sunday at XXX time) but that appears to be all I can do for now.

Any thoughts or ideas?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Dienstag, 30. April 2013 20:45

Antworten

• I have recently begun rolling out some 2012 servers and they are ignoring GPOs for Automatic Updates for staggering reboots.  All 2008 and 2008 R2 servers work without issue and install and reboot in accordance with their applied policy.  The desired polices are being applied successfully to the 2012 servers but they are not honoring the set policy time which is quite the headache.

The reboot behaviors in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 have changed.

They will not behave the same as your Windows Server 2008/2008R2 servers.

Unfortunately Microsoft has done a really poor job of conveying these behavioral changes (I can't even find an article in the TechNet Library!)... but this thread from the Windows 8 forums does a pretty good job of taking you through the discoveries, complications, annoyances, and current state of the matter.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Mittwoch, 1. Mai 2013 16:02