SP1 RC Hyper-V - VM properties hang

Frage

• I noticed a problem after uninstalling WS 2008 R2 SP1 Beta and installing RC.

In the Hyper-V manager, when I either go to the VM properties or try and create a new VM, I have an hourglass over the properties window, and even after like 5 minutes, each component still shows "Loading..." and on the right pane there is text "Loading setting data..."

After a while when I click on different properties, the second I click on them, the "Loading..." goes away and the property views normally on the right side.  All of the properties show except for Add Hardware, Memory, and Processor.  These three components still show "Loading setting data..."

When I had the beta SP installed, everything was stable and worked fine.  Not sure if this has been reported yet or if there is a fix for this.  This has happened on two different servers that have had the beta installed, uninstalled, and the RC patch installed.

Dienstag, 2. November 2010 17:45

Alle Antworten

• Have you updated the integration services inside each Virtual Machine?

You might find recent entries (down to October 26) in this blog useful:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/

Robin Walker
    Dienstag, 2. November 2010 18:21
  • Thanks for the info Robin,

I followed the steps of re-installing the new patch, but I did not disable RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory before the uninstall.  After the SP1 RC patch, the VMs start up fine and I can access them fine via Connect, but the properties of the VMs is experiencing this problem. 

When I try and create a VM, at the "Specify Name and Location" page, a popup that says "Loading Page..." but does not go past that point.  I have to End Task the window to get rid of the New Virtual Machine Wizard window.

I am wondering if I just need to use SCVMM, move the VMs onto a new server, then re-install Windows.  These VMs are not in Prod, so I am not too worried about them.

Thanks,

Chris

Dienstag, 2. November 2010 22:01
  • Same issue for me.

This appeared just after I activated the RemoteFx feature. Beofre it was ok.
    Next planned reboot, I'll uninstall the feature and check if situation gets back to normal.

Mittwoch, 10. November 2010 19:47
  • Same issue, if I remove the RemoteFX cap driver (command below) it fixes the problem:

dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-EmbeddedVideoCap-Setup-Package

However if I install the RemoteFX cap driver again, the problem returns. my host has a ATI video card.

Sonntag, 21. November 2010 22:45
  • experiencing same issue.  Using an ATI FirePro 2260 and latest drivers.  Disabling RemoteFX Cap driver didn't resolve my issue either. 

Any previously created VMs can be manipulated w/o issues, but can't create any new.  On the step to where you Assign Memory, it gets stuck in a loop and displays only "Loading Page..."

Dienstag, 30. November 2010 03:23
  • Also experiencing the same issue...

-- AMD Phenom X3 processor (SLAT capable) and verified using Perfmon that SLAT is being utilized

--  ATI Radeon HD 5450 with 1GB of memory

All existing VMs hang with "Loading Setting Data" for properties (Add Hardware, Memory, and Processor)  All other properties display correctly. 

For new VMs just hangs

Dienstag, 30. November 2010 18:03
  • I encounter the same problem.

I assume that hyper-v service or remote desktop service hang when checking GPU parameters.

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/3/2010, 15:18:30
        Machine name: AD01
      Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1, v.721 (7601.win7sp1_rc.100929-1730)
          Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Supermicro
        System Model: H8DA8-2
            BIOS: Supermicro H8DA8-2/E-2 BIOS Date: 06/06/09 02:03:34 Ver 3.5 
         Processor: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2387 (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
           Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 32768MB RAM
         Page File: 2955MB used, 62576MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
      User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
       DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17105 32bit Unicode

Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2010 21:17
  • I'm getting the same problem with an Intel Core i7 machine and the RTM version of Windows 7 SP1.

The pc has an ATI Graphics Card and is about 6 months old.

The properties of the VM just say they are loading even if left over night. This is straight after installing RemoteFX so now all the VMs are down.

I can't even load the list of roles in server manager to remove Remote FX as that also hangs.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks

Robin

EDIT*

Running this: dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-EmbeddedVideoCap-Setup-Package

I was able to start my VMs again but still cannot access the settings of any of the VMs and if I look at the Hyper-V role the Role Services section is missing from this role so I can't even remove it.

Robin Wilson
    Samstag, 5. Februar 2011 11:26
  • I have now run this in PowerShell which has now enabled me to access the settings on the VMs again and create new VMs:

Import-Module ServerManager
    Remove-WindowsFeature RDS-Virtualization

However the Add/Remove Role Services options are still greyed out for the Hyper-V role still.

On another PC which should meet the requirements for RemoteFX I am able to get to the properties of each VM and add a synthetic video adaptor but then I can't start the VMs due to this very unhelpful error:

"Microsoft Synthetic 3D Display Controller (InstanceID {...}): Failed to Power on with Error 'Unspecified error'.

This is on a Dell OptiPlex Core i5 with an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 3450 which is also about 6 months old.

What is the secret to getting RemoteFX working!?

Robin Wilson
    Samstag, 5. Februar 2011 12:15
  • I am also having this issue. The SP1 RC was not installed, instead going straight to the RTM.

Everything in Hyper-V was fine until I installed the RemoteFX role. After that the settings page for all VMs hangs with "Loading..." This server has an nVidia 8800 GTX...

Thanks

B
    Freitag, 18. Februar 2011 04:20
  • Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to resolve this issue by removing the RDS Virtualisation Host (RemoteFX) role.

I was trying to use it on a non-SLAT enabled CPU.

Thanks

B
    Freitag, 18. Februar 2011 14:23
  • Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to resolve this issue by removing the RDS Virtualisation Host (RemoteFX) role.

I was trying to use it on a non-SLAT enabled CPU.

Thanks

B

I had a similar experience to those in this thread when attempting to enable RFX this morning. It would seem that my CPU does not support SLAT/EPT as well. Unfortunately I cannot find any chart for Intel that includes a listing for EPT, but the following thread suggests only VT-x version 2 supports it. This would only be available in their newer products.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=63086

jsedlak.org
    Montag, 21. Februar 2011 11:56
  • Same problem here, but i can change the properties with SCVMM

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/virtual-machine-manager.aspx (365 days trial)

edit:

but i cannot add RemoteFX Grafics in SCVMM ...

Dienstag, 22. Februar 2011 16:39
  • This is a known issue that’s documented on TechNet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817615(WS.10).aspx

Hyper-V Manager stops responding when I attempt to create a new virtual machine or edit an existing virtual machine’s settings

If the Hyper-V Manager console, svchost.exe process, or RDVGSM service consistently stops responding when you attempt to create a new virtual machine or edit an existing virtual machine’s settings, verify that the following Group Policy settings are not configured on the RemoteFX server:

• Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/Interactive Logon: Message text for users attempting to log on
    • Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/Interactive Logon: Message title for users attempting to log on

Also, verify that the RemoteFX for RD Virtualization Host server is not a domain controller. You cannot install the RD Virtualization Host role service on a domain controller.

IT Pro Audience Manager for Web Forums
    Donnerstag, 3. März 2011 07:05
    Besitzer