none
System reboots ( Reason Code: 0x80070020)

Question

• Hi ,All
                I have two windows server's runniing windows 2003 SP2  that im have issues with auto reboots .Im not sure why .
    ..I recently  updated all  our  servers with the most current security patches .Including the two servers  that seem to be having the root boot issue .
    This is what i see in the event log 

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: USER32
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1074
    Date:  10/18/2009
    Time:  4:43:35 PM
    User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: NODE001
    Description:
    The process svchost.exe has initiated the restart of computer EGW3EM1 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
     Reason Code: lo
     Shutdown Type: restart
     Comment:

Reason Code: 0x80070020

I have looked just about every where ,with no avail ..
    Any help or  suggestions would be very much appreciated . 

Thanks
    E

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:20 PM

Answers

• Hello E,

Thanks for your post.

Firstly, I am afraid that this issue is not related to Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services that this forum is focusing on. For this topic, you can use Windows Server forum for General issues.

For your convenience, I made some research on this issue and based on the similar cases reported, the automatic reboot with such event information is very possibly caused by system crash/hang. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I’d like to include some suggestions and hope those can narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.     Please check the Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) to see if there are any scheduled task that leads to the crash or plan the reboot.

2.     Perform a clean boot to the problematic virtual server to exclude the 3rd party services or applications’ possibilities. If the issue doesn’t appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3rd party services until find the root cause.

Clean Boot the Windows Server 2003 manually

a.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

c.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

d.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

e.     Click OK, and then click Restart.

3.     Enter safe mode of the Windows Server 2003, if the issue doesn’t occur in the safe mode, the root cause is very possibly related to incompatible drivers.

To perform a safe mode boot, please refer to the following KB article:

(KB325375) How to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;325375

You understanding is greatly appreciated and I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by NetENG001 Friday, October 23, 2009 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hello E,

Thanks for your post.

Firstly, I am afraid that this issue is not related to Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services that this forum is focusing on. For this topic, you can use Windows Server forum for General issues.

For your convenience, I made some research on this issue and based on the similar cases reported, the automatic reboot with such event information is very possibly caused by system crash/hang. To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607

I’d like to include some suggestions and hope those can narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.     Please check the Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc) to see if there are any scheduled task that leads to the crash or plan the reboot.

2.     Perform a clean boot to the problematic virtual server to exclude the 3rd party services or applications’ possibilities. If the issue doesn’t appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3rd party services until find the root cause.

Clean Boot the Windows Server 2003 manually

a.     Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

b.     On the General tab, click Selective startup.

c.     Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box.

d.     Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

e.     Click OK, and then click Restart.

3.     Enter safe mode of the Windows Server 2003, if the issue doesn’t occur in the safe mode, the root cause is very possibly related to incompatible drivers.

To perform a safe mode boot, please refer to the following KB article:

(KB325375) How to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;325375

You understanding is greatly appreciated and I hope the issue can be resolved soon.

Lionel Chen

• Marked as answer by NetENG001 Friday, October 23, 2009 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hello E,

How's going with the case now? If I can provide any further assistance from my side. Please feel free to let me know it.

Thanks for your cooperation again.

Lionel Chen

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hello Lionel,
                     Thanks for all you information .I will contact MS and see what could have caused this  particuler  issue .
    I appreciate all  your efforts ,especial when i was in the worng forum.

Thanks
    Agian
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Hello E,

Thanks for your feedback and cooperation.

If the issue get resolved, please share some information here if possible. That will help other community members who face the similar issues.

Feel free to post here if I can provide any further assistance.

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Did anybody ever get an answer to this? At 11:15am everyday starting 9/29/09 my 2003 system reboots. Here is the event. Don't know if I should reinstall 2003 as I have not gotten anywhere.

The process svchost.exe has initiated the restart of computer SERVER1 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Thanks

rob

Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Hellow there everyone...

Im having the same issue here...

I have a Windows 2003 SP2 x86 server with Citrix Presentation Server 4.5

im having that problem sinces yesterday...

The process svchost.exe has initiated the restart of computer CTXSVR on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Comment:

Any hints? 

Friday, January 15, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I found the same problem when a vendor, running an application, noticed it caused a shutdown. It may be some application causing some seroius error, and making the server shutdown. You may want to look for any processes that are running during that time. Try auditing.monitoring all processes running and see if you catch something before the shutdown.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 3:44 PM
  • The process svchost.exe has initiated the restart of computer XYZ on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Comment:

Did anybody receive a solution to this problem

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hallo,

What was the solution to this issue. Any update

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Are there any updates to this post? I am having a similiar issue of users restarting my Citrix/RDS servers when listening to a Cisco ViewMail message. Is there away to restrict this from happening with a GPO?

Log Name:      System
    Source:        USER32
    Date:          1/5/2012 3:48:49 PM
    Event ID:      1074
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      DRCTX1.lawfirm.local
    Description:
    The process msiexec.exe has initiated the restart of computer DRCTX1 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
     Reason Code: 0x80030002
     Comment: The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'ViewMail for Outlook 8.0(5)'.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="USER32" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1074</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-05T20:48:49.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>68478</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>DRCTX1.lawfirm.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>msiexec.exe</Data>
        <Data>DRCTX1</Data>
        <Data>No title for this reason could be found</Data>
        <Data>0x80030002</Data>
        <Data>restart</Data>
        <Data>The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'ViewMail for Outlook 8.0(5)'.</Data>
        <Data>NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM</Data>
        <Binary>02000380000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Jason
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:26 PM