none
Consolidation of server roles

Question

• Do you know if there are any documents or KB article which describes, how to consolidate server roles on a few server OS (3 OS).

I have looked at the Infrastructure Planning and Design, and looked in the TechNet Library but I can find any.

I want to use my Windows server 2012 Enterprise, I need this functionality.

Thanks

//marsk

Martin Skorvald Elevation AB

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:10 PM

Answers

• Thank you gays, I have now decided who I shell do this.
    I will set it up in Windows Essential Business Server 2008 cod name Centro style.
    This solution can manage 300 users or devises.  We can’t see that the company will be bigger in the next 5 years.
    The environment will be virtualized in a cluster of tow nods with direct attached storage.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463531(WS.10).aspx

//marsk

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:20 AM

All replies

• The most recommended way is to use virtualization.  You may find some specific recommendations about what does not work well on the same instance of the operating system, for example SQL and Exchange should not be installed on the same instance, but those are really applications and not Windows 'roles'.  So are we talking about the same thing?

In general, it is considered a best practice to dedicate a server to a specific role, or shared roles like AD/DNS/DHCP is fairly common.  In order to accomplish this, virtualization makes it very simple.  In fact, it is simpler to create more virtual machines rather than trying to get multiple roles to perform correctly on the same OS instance.

Maybe if you provided a little more information about what it is that you are trying to do, we could provide assistance.

BTW, there is no Windows Server 2012 Enterprise edition.  With Windows Server 2012, Microsoft incorporates all capabilities into two different editions - Standard and Datacenter.  Each has the exact same capabilities and scalability.  Each is licensed to run on  two physical processors.  If you have four processors (not cores) you need two licenses for either Standard or Datacenter.  The difference comes in the virtualization rights.  Standard comes with the right to run only two virtual operating system environments of Windows Server, whereas Datacenter comes with the right to run an unlimited number.

tim

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Thank you so very much Tim.
    Sorry just thought that the Enterprise was changed to Datacenters.
    So it is possible to run smart card authentication in the Standard version now (PKI policy)?
    I want to manage as few OS as possible. 
    What I'm looking for is if there is any document that more precisely describes which roles are best to run together.
    Isn't it supported to run all server roles in one OS (forget, performance)?

//marsk

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“What I'm looking for is if there is any document that more precisely describes which roles are best to run together.” – as far as I know, there is no official document that describes the consolidation of the server roles. If you want to consolidate a few of them, you should read the description of each role and make sure they have no conflict with each other. About server roles of windows server 2012, please see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831669.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

Friday, December 28, 2012 2:53 AM

• Thank you Tim and Nick for your answers.

Does any one of you know if it supported to run all roles on the same box
    (not clustering, and roles that needs two or more servers).

//marsk

Friday, December 28, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Again, it can most likely be done, but it is not at all recommended, and troubleshooting such an environment can be quite messy.  Virtualization is much cleaner.  I have seen lots of roles installed in lab environments, but even that has changed over the last few years as more people turn to virtualization.  Unless Microsoft specifically calls them out, and I don't recall seeing any two roles called out as being totally incompatible, they would be supported by Microsoft.  Of course, trying this puts you into a very small minority, so when you run into problems, and they always have a knack of showing up, you will not find a lot of experience in troubleshooting an environment with so many roles.

tim

Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:32 AM
  • Thank you gays, I have now decided who I shell do this.
    I will set it up in Windows Essential Business Server 2008 cod name Centro style.
    This solution can manage 300 users or devises.  We can’t see that the company will be bigger in the next 5 years.
    The environment will be virtualized in a cluster of tow nods with direct attached storage.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc463531(WS.10).aspx

//marsk

Saturday, December 29, 2012 10:20 AM