PPTP VPN on Server 2008 - Win7 Connects, but cannot access network resources

Question

• Hi, I am having problems with Server 2008 SBS w/ Service Pack 2 hosting a PPTP VPN connection.  What I am finding, is that Windows XP connects and works perfectly, but Vista and Windows 7 do not.  They will connect, but not access any network resources.  What I have done:

Setup new server with SBS 2008 with Service Pack 2

Setup PPTP VPN and gave a few users access

Tested with a few different Windows XP workstations...worked perfectyly.

Tested with a few different Vista and Windows 7 workstations...fails!  Both Vista and Windows 7 are showing the exact same behaviour.  They will both connect to the VPN just fine, but give errors when I try to access network resources.  I have tried two different ways, which produce slightly different results:

Method 1:

Start->Run:  \\Servername

This method simply goes 'duh' for about 1 or 2 minutes, and then comes up with "The specified network name is no longer available"

Method 2:

Start->Run: \\servername.domainname.local"

This method only goes 'duh' for about 30 seconds and then pops up a login box with the error "The system detected a possible attack to compromise security....".  When I reenter my username/password for the remote share, I get the error from Method 1 ("The specified network is no longer available").

I can ping the remote computer by both IP and name.  I have changing the 'type of VPN' from 'automatic' to 'pptp', and have tried unchecking IPv6.  Neither of which made a difference.

On a side note, I temporarily setup a Server 2003 Standard Edition hosting a PPTP VPN connection as a test, and I can connect to it from any operating system.  The problem seems to be limited to server 2008.  I unfortunately I cannot leave the Server 2003 in place as it is just a demo copy that will expire in 60 days.

Becuase my XP clients work just fine, I know that port 1723 and GRE protocol 47 must be forwarded properly.  Does anyone know what is special between Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 to cause this behaviour?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As the issue is more related to SBS server, regarding the Windows Small Business Server issue, please post to the Windows Small Business Server discussion group. The support professionals there are better equipped to assist you.

For your convenience, I’ve included the link of Windows Small Business Server discussion group:

SBS08 Public Newsgroups
    https://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8333

Best regards,
    Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you access internal resource via its IP address after the VPN conncetion is established on Windows 7 computer?

Did you enable the Windows Firewall on Windows 7 Client?

Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 8:26 AM
  • I'm having the same problem but with a Windows XP system connecting over a VPN to a server 2003 systerm.  It says it connects but no access to any of the network resources.  I tried the same Method 1 and Method 2 commands but get "The network path was not found". 
    Monday, May 10, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

Can you access internal resource via its IP address after the VPN conncetion is established on Windows 7 computer?

Did you enable the Windows Firewall on Windows 7 Client?

Regards,

Wilson Jia

\\ip_address does the same thing as method 1.  Have tried with both the firewall on and off on both the client and server side.  No change.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Djmmol:

Try to ping your server's internal ip address by ip address.  Also try pinging the internal address of the gateway on the remote network.  If you can't ping them, then I would check what ip address the dhcp server from the vpn is assigning you, and make sure it matches the network you are connecting to.  Also make sure the local and remote networks are on different subnets.  If both networks are locally 192.168.1.x they get confused as to which side is which.

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:49 PM
  • I have also now setup a demo of Server 2008 Standard and it works perfectly.  Seems to be limited to Small Business Edition. 

I also completely removed Routing and Remote access, and NAP from my SBS2008 server.  Re-installed and completely setup from scratch.  Unfortunately, I still have the exact same problem...

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Hi,

As the issue is more related to SBS server, regarding the Windows Small Business Server issue, please post to the Windows Small Business Server discussion group. The support professionals there are better equipped to assist you.

For your convenience, I’ve included the link of Windows Small Business Server discussion group:

SBS08 Public Newsgroups
    https://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8333

Best regards,
    Wilson Jia

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:46 AM