none
Windows Home Server 2011 Clean Installation Problem--Add drivers SATA

Question

• I'm trying to install a clean copy of Windows Home Server 2011 (64) on a  clean, new build  (MSI motherboard w/ AMD X3 CPU & 2GB Ram with an unformatted SATA 2tb hard drive).  After booting from the DVD I get to a screen that says that it cannot proceed because it needs drivers for a primary hard drive.   I loaded the drivers onto a USB stick after downloading and extracting the inf files into a direcotry called \drivers but WHS2011 does not add them even after I point to them.  Am I missing something here?  The MSI drivers are usually installed by extracting them via a setup program once the operating system is installed but i this case I extracted them manually.  At this point I cannot proceed beyond that screen..

Chuck

Saturday, April 09, 2011 9:14 PM

Answers

• I finally gave up on this after speaking with MSI and downloading the Nvidia Nforce 630a drivers manually (which didn't work).  Instead I'll have to install WHS on a different motherboard.

Chuck

• Marked as answer by chuckaaron Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the description, it seems that you have configured the SATA hard drive to AHCI mode in BIOS.

By the way, as far as I know, Windows system from Windows Vista include drivers for SATA drive which work for most of the hard drives, so you may try to contact the vendor or the manufacturer of the motherboard to check whether they have any record about this issue. You can also change the SATA hard drive from AHCI mode to IDE/Compatibility mode in BIOS.

The following post discussed a similar issue, you can refer to:

How to Get AHCI Working Properly in Server 2008 with Hyper-V

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/7e58be1f-3e97-44cf-ae11-de2627d9cd94

In addition, you can download the trail version of Windows Server 2008 R2 to see whether you get the same issue, then we can narrow down the cause of the issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA571339-5436-4CF5-9C37-6ED7DAB6F781&displaylang=en

If it works with Windows Server 2008 R2, then you can perform the further research in Windows Home Server forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:24 AM
  • I checked bios and the setting for the drive is IDE Mode, so it isn't an AHCI problem.  More likely it is that WHS install isn't aware of the drivers for the Nvidia chipset that this motherboard uses and even when I loaded the correct driver it failed to recognize it.  At this point I'm stuck.  I'd hate to have to install the operating system on an IDE drive and then add the drivers and clone it to a SATA drive, but I can think of no other workaround.  It seems to me that the installation disk for WHS 2011 should include the HD drivers for NVIDIA chipsets.

Chuck

Monday, April 11, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I finally gave up on this after speaking with MSI and downloading the Nvidia Nforce 630a drivers manually (which didn't work).  Instead I'll have to install WHS on a different motherboard.

Chuck

• Marked as answer by chuckaaron Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:22 PM

Chuck

I got my MSI K8N SLI (MS-7185) to insall after a few days.

Turns out I needed to remove all drives my my IDE/SATA ports but my primary hard drive and install WHS11 from a USB Flash Drive.  The iso is 4.1GB so you'll need a 8GB or larger to install. and things went without a hitch.

I installed to my SATA port as my IDE drives were only 40GB and WHS11 requires 160GB minimum.   I had to set the flash drive as boot and HDD as second.  then on reboot I had to go back into the BIOS as tell it to boot from HDD first then USB second. 

I heard some  using usb DVD if you have that option.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:14 AM
  • Been trying all day to get my Windows Home Server 2011 to install on a PC with a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI motherboard. I run into the same problem with the SATA harddrive being undetectable when running the installer. I tried the above mentioned method of booting WHS2011 from a USB flash drive and disconnecting all other drives except from the primary disk I intend to install on, but no luck. I downloaded any SATA driver I could find related to the motherboard regardless of OS but non works. I pressed that "Load drivers..."-button too many times by now. I read somewhere else that the drivers had to be placed in a folder called "drivers" but that didn't really help :p

Mark: What driver did you use for your MSI K8N to get it to work?

Seems there is no setting in the BIOS used for setting SATA mode to IDE compability, so i haven't been able to try that out.

Lack of compatible drivers means I have to give up on this? :/ Any hint or suggestion are welcomed and appreciated.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:29 PM
  • I remember I just clicked the checkbox below the drive window and it installed no problem  I didn't install any drivers at all and I used the sata port.  I have a different northbridge I think, but it's very similar and you'd think it would work.

I have replaced that board (125watts) with a newer board (54 watts), but I'mdone on my projects until I getmy 2-port NIC for my home made router/firewall.  So maybe I'll dig the old board out of the closet and reinstall and see if I notice anything special I did.

-=Mark=-

Friday, June 03, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Mark but you don't have to dig up the old board :)

I solved the problem with undetectable SATA harddrive. I just had to plug the SATA cable into the nvidia nforce SATA ports on the motherboard (instead of the SIL3114 SATA ports) and then the installer detected the SATA disk and I didn't even have to use the "Load drivers"-button to load additional drivers. I did however also disable any raid settings in the BIOS first so I'm not sure if that is needed as well.

I didn't have any other IDE drives attached as i installed from a USB flash drive.

Friday, June 03, 2011 10:14 AM