none
Interactive Services Detection in Application Event Log when Mapping HP Printers

Question

• Although mapping printers off our print servers are working, I am trying to understand why mapping HP printers on our Vista and Windows 7 systems causes a Interactive Services Detection in the Application Event Log but mapping our Dell Printers does not cause the Interactive Services Detection. Most of the time this error goes un-noticed since it doesn't cause an interactive pop-up window to the user, but it still happens intermittently. We have also noticed that Dell Printers map 10 times faster than the HP printers. We have tried changing the HP drivers using every possible method, PCL5, PCL6, PS, Universal, etc..etc.. but still get the Interactive Services Detection and slow mapping. Any thoughts on why the HP drivers behave this way?

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

This issue may occur when the HP printer driver is incompatible with the system.

Now you could contact HP to see whether they have Vista and Win7 compatible printer driver available.

Please also tell me the exact model of the problematic HP printers? So, I can check if it can be re-produced on our side.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if the "Show Print Preview" option is checked in the Printing Preferences.

You may check it by clicking Printer Properties>Printing Preferences...>Finishing Tab>Print Preview.

If so, please uncheck it and see if the issue will occur.

Please note, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

This issue may occur when the HP printer driver is incompatible with the system.

Now you could contact HP to see whether they have Vista and Win7 compatible printer driver available.

Please also tell me the exact model of the problematic HP printers? So, I can check if it can be re-produced on our side.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if the "Show Print Preview" option is checked in the Printing Preferences.

You may check it by clicking Printer Properties>Printing Preferences...>Finishing Tab>Print Preview.

If so, please uncheck it and see if the issue will occur.

Please note, we may have to analyze memory dump file to narrow down the cause of this issue, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. It’s suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Monday, October 12, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

we have just the same problem.

we use HP universal printer PS PCL5 PCL6.
    The Printers are stored ona a windows 2008 enterprise X86 Print Server and we have 2 terminal Server windows 2008 enterprise X86.
    The server ar Hyper-V guest machines.

If a user connects to one of the TS an got some printers conected i get many interactive services detection in the event log.
    driver version is 61.91.13.1 (i think its the latest build)

the evnt i get per printer are:

Bei einem Gerät oder Programm ist Ihr Eingreifen erforderlich. Gerät/Anwendung: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe Nachrichtentitel: Eigenschaften von \\CSR|SRV-05\{D817D8BF-BF14-4C14-9650-C74664D2872C}.

Bei einem Gerät oder Programm ist Ihr Eingreifen erforderlich. Gerät/Anwendung: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe Nachrichtentitel: Eigenschaften von Dokument "\\CSR|SRV-05\{D817D8BF-BF14-4C14-9650-C74664D2872C},LocalsplOnly".

even with logged on administrator i dont get any pop up with interactive services detection.

this failures really slowes down printer mapping, loggin in an even prting.

thanks for your help
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

we have just the same problem.

we use HP universal printer PS PCL5 PCL6.
    The Printers are stored ona a windows 2008 enterprise X86 Print Server and we have 2 terminal Server windows 2008 enterprise X86.
    The server ar Hyper-V guest machines.

If a user connects to one of the TS an got some printers conected i get many interactive services detection in the event log.
    driver version is 61.91.13.1 (i think its the latest build)

the evnt i get per printer are:

Bei einem Gerät oder Programm ist Ihr Eingreifen erforderlich. Gerät/Anwendung: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe Nachrichtentitel: Eigenschaften von \\CSR|SRV-05\{D817D8BF-BF14-4C14-9650-C74664D2872C }.

Bei einem Gerät oder Programm ist Ihr Eingreifen erforderlich. Gerät/Anwendung: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe Nachrichtentitel: Eigenschaften von Dokument "\\CSR|SRV-05\{D817D8BF-BF14-4C14-9650-C74664D2872C},LocalsplOnly ".

even with logged on administrator i dont get any pop up with interactive services detection.

this failures really slowes down printer mapping, loggin in an even prting.

thanks for your help
    we are expecting exactly the same problem  with xenapp5 on vmware esx , windows 2008 32 bit terminal server.  also tested every hp original &  uni driver, installed printer as local printer (tcp), always seeing interactive services detections.  on top, with color laser jets like 3600, 2025, 4005  we can see user logons slowing down; sometimes the terminal server freezes for around 80 seconds.  and thats not only with citrix; we can see the same problem on win terminal servers (rdp  only).  This is really annoying ;(
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:50 AM
  • Yes this issue has been pointed out to HP.  The HP drivers included in Vista and Windows 7 have this functionality removed since it's not allowed for anything included in Windows, but not blocked for print drivers from any other source.  Make HP hear your concerns as well at hp.com.  Use the drivers included with the OS when ever you can.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:24 AM
  • hello

we have the same problem. any news for a workarround, if we have to use external drivers from hp?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:00 AM
  • HP has not provided a solution for the print drivers from HP.com.  You can continue to pester HP on this.  If you have a bunch of HP printers you have a bit more clout with your HP sales rep but quite frankly this has been an issue for a while.   As I said, MS would not allow HP to include drivers using these methods into Windows
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:10 PM
  • I am having the same problem... Has anyone been able to find a work around?
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:08 AM
  • There is no workaround.  The only way to avoid this is not use the drivers that do this.
    Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:08 AM
  • This is not really an option because I have to use the HP universal Driver since there are no other drivers that work with W7 x64 for this printer.

I have opened up a ticket with HP about this.  Has anyone contacted HP about this?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Microsoft requested and obtained 32bit and 64bit drivers specific for the models they purchase.  I'm pretty sure HP provides a model specific driver for the higher end LaserJet devices that Microsoft purchases.    I know there was a push at one point to move to this driver model (one driver for all) but it never worked out well.

Anyone else with this concern should be also contacting HP.  HP has many different printer models.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Has anyone else been able to obtain 32bit and 64 bit drivers for the specific models they purchase?  I work for a small school district and the login times for computers in the labs are killing us.  Exact problems as mentioned above, Interactive Services detection warnings and extremely slow printer mappings.

If you were able to get the drivers out of HP can you let us know what department you spoke with or what you said?  We have printers ranging from legacy (LJ 4000's and 4050's) to brand new (cp2025 and cp4005) and they are all very slow to map with the UPD, which is the only publically available driver. 

Very disappointed with HP.  I know MS has no control over it, but I can't find any discussion of the issue on HP's forums.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:41 PM
  • If you just need to have basic printing, use the 4000 and 4050 drivers from Server 2003 x64 (or XP 64 pro).  You will need to configure the Point and Print Restrictions policy so the user is not prompted for admin credentials for the driver install.

The Color LaserJet CP4005 PCL6 and CP 2020 Series PCL6 drivers are included with Windows 7

Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:57 AM
  • Alan, 

I'm attempting to map HP printers from a Windows 2008 R2 print server to Windows 7 x86 desktops in a VMware View VDI deployment. Like other users in this tread, I've attempted to use HP's Universal Print Drivers and am experience 5 to 10 minute initial logon times. Since I rebuild and redeploy the desktop pool about once a month (to accommodate MS Patch Tuesday), users have to endure the long login as print drivers get re-deployed.

Is there a way for me to potentially delay the deployment of printers via Group Policy Preferences with Targeting (via Security Groups) so that the printers get mapped after the user logs in and begins using their desktop? Is there a service that I can change from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed)" that would give the impression of a faster logon?

VMware View comes with an OEM version of ThinPrint. This solution waits to deploy TCP/IP printers after the user is logged in, so they don't notice the delay the HP Universal printers are causing. I prefer to use Group Policy Preferences however since I don't have to pre-deploy print drivers in my master VDI image.

Thank you for your time.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:19 PM
  • Sorry, I don't have much information regarding group policy preferences.  The feature was added by the group policy team with limited input by the print team.

The printer connections will not be added until the spooler is running.  If you set spooler to manual and added a log on script to start the spooler after logon (net start spooler), this may produce the logon result you are looking for.

There is a Automatic (delay start) in service.msc but I do not know how that works.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Friday, July 01, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Is there any more movement on this issue?  I have the same issue on my Xenapp 5.0, Windows 2008 64bit and HP Uni driver systems.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I've contacted HP and if by chance we resolve this I'll be sure to post.

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:33 AM
  • I started this thread over 2.5 years ago and the workaround for us was to eliminate all HP printers from our campus and replace them with Dell Printers. It was an expensive and lengthy process but due to HP's lack of interest to help solve their driver problems made it an easy choice for us. Good luck to the rest of you!!!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hi trimoot,

du you have a solution from HP?

Monday, May 14, 2012 12:27 PM
  • I've been waiting for months for HP to come out with new Universal drivers that solve this problem.  To this day, HP has failed us.  Lexmark came out with a new universal driver that works perfect!  Guess you know who I'll be voting for at the next Vendor contract meeting. 

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:57 PM
  • Hallo everybody

same issue here with two Windows Server 2008R2 Terminalserver.

Are there any other workarounds then "using a Lexmark driver" or "get some Dell printers"?

Greetings from Germany

Timo

Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Is there any more movement on this issue?  I have the same issue on my Xenapp 5.0, Windows 2008 64bit and HP Uni driver systems.

To bypass the problem in your case;

Simply in your XenApp management's console, you can bind a driver to be subtitute with another driver. So, just use the Citrix UPD when the driver needed is the HP UPD's one.

Like thoses I did on a test server, and that work well.

That way you don't have to change everything, you can use any driver while they are on that TS, and use the HP UPD locally.

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Want to follow me ?  |  Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Update to this thread:  On December 15, 2012 HP released a new update to the Universal Print Driver.  The release documents note that the updated version will no longer cause the "Interactive Services Detection" issue.  I've installed the updated UPD on my Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) print server and tested and can confirm that on my Windows 7 logons I no longer see those messages.

Unfortunately, it has done nothing for the significant delay experienced at logon when the printers are assigned to be installed as local TCP/IP printers via Group Policy Preferences.

• Proposed as answer by Eric-FCJV Tuesday, January 08, 2013 12:51 AM
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 12:51 AM