none
Windows 7 IPP Printer Port

Question

• Hi, recently I enabled the Internet Printing site to publish the networking printers to the users. I have two print servers, one running Windows 2003(32bit) Server and other Windows 2008 Server(32bit).

When the users, running Windows XP client(32bit) and install the new printer, via http://servername/printers (Windows 2008 Server or Windows 2003 Server) the installation process created the Standard TCP/IP Port and all the printer pool configurations, like default paper size, comment, location, et cetera it was correct configurated.

The setup installation pop-up, in Windows XP client, shows the follow information (Before Installation):

**Do you want to add a printer connection to \\printserver\printername**

When the users, running Windows 7 client(32bit) and install the new printer, via http://servername/printers (Windows 2008 Server or Windows 2003 Server) the installation process install the IIP Port (Internet Port) and doesn't bring any printer pool configurations, like default paper size, comment, location, et cetera 

The setup installation pop-up, in Windows 7 client, shows the follow information (Before Installation):

**Do you want to add a printer connection to http://printserver/printers/printername/.printer?

The question are:

- Why the Windows 7 install the new network printer using the IPP Port and Windows XP install the new printer using Standard TCP/IP port ?

- Why the Windows 7, after the installation process, using the IPP Port, doesn't bring any printer pool configuration (Default paper size, comment, location, et cetera)

I really appreciate more information about this issue.

Thank you !

Leandro Farom

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I fixed the problem, after set all zones in IE 8 (Windows 7) to default level. (Reset all zones to default level button in security tab).

Case closed :) .

Leandro Farom
    • Marked as answer by Leandro Farom Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Based on my test, both Windows XP and Windows 7 install the new network printer using the IPP Port.

The message stating "Do you want to add a printer connection to http://printserver/printers/printername/.printer?" will also show up when connecting IPP printer on Windows XP.

As you have two print servers (Windows 2008 Server or Windows 2003 Server), could you tell me which one exactly you connected when adding it on Windows XP?

Thanks,

Miles

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi Miles,

Thanks for the answer.

In my environment, the Windows XP create a Standard TCP/IP port (Do you want to add a printer connection to \\printserver\printername) and Windows 7 create a IPP port (Do you want to add a printer connection to http://printserver/printers/printername/.printer).

When the Windows 7 create the IPP port, all the particular caracteristics fo the printer pool, like comment, location, default paper size, et cetera don't show up in the client.

After the user made the printer installation, he needs do the paper size configuration (In my environment, we using the A4 format.) The correct size of the paper it's is important, specially to spredsheets.

The user can print your documents using the Standard TCP/IP port ou IPP port, but if the printer was installed using IPP port additionally effort is required. That's the problem.

Thank you.

Leandro Farom
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Hi Miles,

I believe that the problem it's related with Internet Explorer settings. Take a look in this piece of the Printer Connectivity Technical Overview:

===========================================================================================

Internet Printing

When a user connects to a printer through the Web-based printer management, one of two things can happen: Either Windows creates an IPP printer

connection using an HTTP port, or Windows creates an RPC “true-connect” printer connection.

HTTP Printer Connection Through Web Browser

If the client’s Internet Explorer security settings for the print server are set to medium or higher, Windows creates an IPP printer connection using an HTTP port.

Because this technology requires the installation of a local printer queue (unlike a true Point-and-Print connection, which uses RPC), the client must have either Administrator or Power User status with the added Load and unload driver privilege on the local machine. (On Windows 2000 Server, this connection also

works if the client has only Power User privilege.)

This solution is recommended only for Internet sites–specifically, untrusted sites viewed by a browser in which the security settings must be set to medium or higher. This type of printing works very well to print data in one location on a page at another location that does not share security or network infrastructure. However, HTTP printer connections are more limited than RPC true-connections (described below) in a Windows printing environment, as they do not support enhanced metafile

(EMF) features.

RPC Printer Connection Through Web Browser – Preferred Method

If the client’s Internet Explorer settings are set to medium-low or lower, when the client chooses the connect option in a Web browser, Windows automatically

creates an RPC true-connect printer connection. True-connect, or UNC, connections have many benefits over true IPP printer connections and should be used for intranet printing (local to the company) where the security setting in Internet Explorer can be set to medium-low safely. True-connect connections are supported

through the Windows remote spooler, which is where the vast majority of Microsoft’s future innovation will be—in the RPC printer connection rather than the IPP printer connection state.

===========================================================================================

If you install the printer in Windows 7, automatically the setup creates a HTTP Printer Connection Through Web Browser. The objective here it's create a RPC Printer Connection Trough Web Browser for Windows XP and Windows 7 clients.

I will make more research in this area. Any suggestions ?

Regards,

Leandro Farom
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Leandro,

On the client computer where you are having this problem, take a look at the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings

If you have a property named "PreferredConnection" with a value of 0, then you will get http connections to your IPP print server. Remove that entry, and you will get RPC connections.

You may also want to try adding your server to "Intranet Sites" in Internet Explorer, though I have had limited success with this method.

Working with IPP in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 is rubbish. It's broken and MS needs to acknowledge it.

Drew Epstein
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Ganellon,

I didn't have the registry value "PreferredConnection" in HKCU\Printers\Settings.

There is a method to force RPC Printer Connection or Point and Print in Windows 7, when made the printer installation using the Internet Printing site ?

Tks,

Leandro Farom
    Monday, November 01, 2010 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

I fixed the problem, after set all zones in IE 8 (Windows 7) to default level. (Reset all zones to default level button in security tab).

Case closed :) .

Leandro Farom
    • Marked as answer by Leandro Farom Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:23 AM