none
How to print to a local printer on Windows 7 while connected to a WindowsXP machine via remote desktop

Question

• We just set up a new laptop that has Windows 7. We have a local printer, an HP Deskjet, installed and connected to this laptop and it prints fine.
    However, when we connect to another machine that is running Windows XP via remote desktop we can not seem to print to the printer that is connected to the Windows 7 laptop.
    When we print from XP we see the document in the print Queue and after just a few seconds it goes away... normally this means it printed.
    However nothing happens on the local printer. We do not see the document show up in the local print queue.

This setup used to work fine when we connected to the Windows XP machine via remote desktop from a local computer that also had Windows XP with the exact same printer.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:44 PM

Answers

• Hello Robert,

Based on your description, I doubt that the issue is caused by an incompatible printer driver. Not all the printer drivers support printer redirection, so we need to confirm if the Windows XP side has installed a correct printer driver. To check this possibility, please reproduce this issue and check the System category of the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) on the Windows XP side. Some error with the Source “TermServDevices” may indicate the underlying cause of the issue. If you find them, please cite them here and we will help you analyze it.

As an important step for you to try, please remove the existing driver for the printer on the Windows XP side, and use the most updated one that supports redirection feature.

Please let us know the result. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Monday, November 16, 2009 9:07 AM

All replies

• How do you share the printer connected to the Windows 7? Do you use basic Windows 7 printer sharing or do you connect direcly to the printer (HP Jetdirect card for network prinint) from Windows XP. Where is the Windows XP queue pointing to?

Danny

Now you can follow al the hot TS forum threads on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/mstermserv Founder of www.citrix-guru.com and www.rds-support.eu Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/dnyvandam
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Hello Robert,

Based on your description, I doubt that the issue is caused by an incompatible printer driver. Not all the printer drivers support printer redirection, so we need to confirm if the Windows XP side has installed a correct printer driver. To check this possibility, please reproduce this issue and check the System category of the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) on the Windows XP side. Some error with the Source “TermServDevices” may indicate the underlying cause of the issue. If you find them, please cite them here and we will help you analyze it.

As an important step for you to try, please remove the existing driver for the printer on the Windows XP side, and use the most updated one that supports redirection feature.

Please let us know the result. Thanks.

Regards,

·         Lionel Chen

Monday, November 16, 2009 9:07 AM
  • I have a user who is experiencing a similar problem with a Windows 7 laptop. An HP printer is connected to the laptop via USB connection. The user connects to a server running Windows 2003 Server R2 via Remote Desktop. All local resources are shared (printers, plug-and-play devices, smart cards, drives, and serial ports). When the user views the available printers on the server, the printer connected to the laptop does not appear. The 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' installed on the laptop is available and referenced in the printers window as 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer (user computer) in session 1'.

Have you seen this behavior when running Remote Desktop on a Windows 7 computer?

Thanks.

RJ
    Friday, January 08, 2010 6:01 AM
  • I have a user on a laptop running Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.  At the office we connects to a domain on a Small Business Server 2008 64 bit and can print to all the network printers fine.  When he goes home, he installs a local HP printer and installs all the accompanying software and can print fine.  The next day he comes back to the office, reconnects to the network and is fine.  When he goes home, the local HP printer is gone and he has to reinstall the software to connect to the printer.  He has done this 2 nights in a row and is wondering if somehow, SBS2008 is removing that printer he has at home from the laptop.  Any ideas?
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:06 AM
  • I have a similar problem. My work recently gave me a laptop running Windows 7. I use it to connect to our remote desktop (which is running
    Windows 2000). I was able to print to my local printer, however, more recently my work replaced my laptop with a desktop pc (also running Windows 7). Problem is I can no longer print to my local printer. Do I need to simply change a few settings, or is it that the desktop pc is running a slightly different version of Windows 7 that is not allowing me to print locally?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:13 AM
  • I have a similar problem. My work recently gave me a laptop running Windows 7. I use it to connect to our remote desktop (which is running
    Windows 2000). I was able to print to my local printer, however, more recently my work replaced my laptop with a desktop pc (also running Windows 7). Problem is I can no longer print to my local printer. Do I need to simply change a few settings, or is it that the desktop pc is running a slightly different version of Windows 7 that is not allowing me to print locally?
    I have same problem with Windows 7. User connect to windows 2008 terminal server and can not print to his local printer. Does anybody knows the fix?? 

Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

I see that many people have the same issue, but there is no solution offered.

Does MS have a solution for this matter?

Does anybody else know how to solve it?

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Having the same issue, Windows 7 connecting to Remote Desktop on Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Server does not allow you to print to the local usb printer attached to Windows 7 even though it is enabled.

Testing connecting Windows XP to Remote Dekstop on the same server allows you to print to the local usb printer attached to Windows XP.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 2:24 AM
  • any updates on this/
    Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Best solution I have is to use my 3 year old Macbook Pro. It does it without a problem. I connect to my company's network site running Windows, with the Mac. In the properties for the Remote Desktop Connection of the mac I have my home printer selected as default and it will come up as one of the printers available on the network of work printers when I am connected through the Remote Desktop Connection. I also have a PC running Windows 7 and can't get my home printer to show as available anywhere in the selections when connected to the company network. I have tried different ways of approaching the problem and just gave up in the end as the easy solution was to use my Mac instead if printing from the Remote Connection is required.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:43 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  We're running Windows 7 laptops and desktops.  When remote desktoping into a server running Windows 2008R2, we can print to a network HP printer without a problem.  However, we can't seem to print to a local USB-connected HP printer.  The USB-connected printer appears available, and redirection appears to be working. But when you print to that printer nothing happens. There's no error message.  When you access printer properties through the Control Panel in remote desktop and try to print a test page then you get an error message.  Any solutions?

• Proposed as answer by BlueWaveIT Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BlueWaveIT Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:49 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Windows 7 doesn't seem to pass local resources through RDP. But, it does pass through local ports that will show up on the Remote Server. So, on the remote server, add a local printer using lpt1. Then in the Terminal Services Manager, look for the computername that the login brings. There may be several TS ports identified as computername: PRNX where x is a digit. Systematically, click on a TS port and send a test print. Note which one connects to the printer you want to print to. This is a workaround but it has worked for me

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 9:55 PM
  • This is simple. I would be willing to put money that everyone experiencing this difficulty is running a Windows 7 Home version. Windows 7 Home cannot join domains. Non-domain computers do not play well with a RDP session, and by default will not list your printer on the RDP session. Unless you do a share work around, you will never get it to list.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 4:04 PM
  • No,

Win7 pro does the same thing but only on some workstations.  I have one that connects to a VPN then uses RDP to connect to AN XP box and it sees the local printer just fine.  Another where the local printer is not seen.  In both cases the local printers are network printers connected via Ethernet. One is a Brother MFC9840cdw (working) and the other workstation (different location) has an officejet 6500 attached via Ethernet and a Brother 7420 attached via USB.  In that case neither printer is even seen in the RDP session.

Oddly enough the cute pdf driver is seen as is the XPS writer.  Dropped all firewalls and the AV is gone as well.

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:34 PM
  • It's hard to believe that this issue with seeing local printers via Remote Desktop is all over, and nobody has a good clear answer for it.  Onc thing I noticed is that Brother printers seem susceptible to it; I have an HL-1440 that can't be seen.  Also, USB connections seem to present problems.  I'm trying to find a clear explanation of how printer installations work, how ports are assigned, differences, etc.  Almost always the Microsoft Office printers, XPS and One Note, are visible.  I think I remember someone saying that local printers that are not USB show up fine but, even if that's true, all of the printers are USB lately.
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:30 AM
  • Hopefully, someone has an answer to my problem.  I have a network in my house with a lot of computers attached to it.  I just purchased my first Windows 7 machine and cannot add a printer that is attached to a desktop running XP Pro.  All other printers print to that printer just fine.

On the Windows 7 machine, I can see the printer but cannot add it.  I get an error that states:  "Windows cannot connect to the printer."  The details state that "Operation failed with error 0x0000007e."

I have Googled that error and have not found a solution that works.  I tried Microsoft's Hotfix solution for the error they identified as being associated with that error and it does nothing (incorrectly looks for the Mscms.dll file in a subfolder different than the windows\system32 subfolder).

It seems strange that since all other computers print to this printer just fine and since I can "see" the printer that it will not work.

Suggestions?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:46 AM
  • I'm also having the same issue, connecting to Win XP Pro machine with Remote Desktop from a Win7 64 bit machine. From the  Win7 Machine, I can print to the printers on the  XP Pro side, but I can't print my local Win7 printers, my local Win7 printers don't even show up.

Considering how many people have described this same issue, I'm surprised no one from Microsoft has jumped in with a solution.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:43 AM

• Printing to a local Windows 7 or Windows XP  printer while initiating a Remote Desktop  logging into a remote host Host

1. Unfortunately Remote Desktop by default will only display printers configured on serial and parallel ports, below is a work around I have personally found works.
    2. When you setup the Remote Desktop configuration be sure you click the Tab labeled Local Resources and at the bottom of the screen, see Local Devices and resources make sure that Printers and Clipboard are selected.
    3. Make the Local Printer you wish to print to on the machine initiating the Remote Desktop the default printer and be sure you can print to it (I have found this even works with shared networked printers)
    4. Install proper printer driver at the  Host End  (The site you're logging onto)  that matches the printer on the remote end (The end you’re initiating the Remote Desktop from). When you 1st install this printer on the Host End just select LPT1 as the port for now.
    5. On the Host end go to Devices and Printer and select the printer you  plan to print to, Click on printer properties, Select ports look for port labeled TS001, this should be the default printer on your local Remote Computer, Check this port and run a print test. (Unfortunately these TS??? Ports aren’t described by the operating system, the 3 systems I have checked this out on the port was labeled TS001 which was my default printer on the end initiating the remote desktop, but it certainly could be different on your system so it might take some trial and error to select the proper port.)
    • Proposed as answer by SteveDahl Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:28 PM

• Printing to a local Windows 7 or Windows XP  printer while initiating a Remote Desktop  logging into a remote host Host

1. Unfortunately Remote Desktop by default will only display printers configured on serial and parallel ports, below is a work around I have personally found works.
    2. When you setup the Remote Desktop configuration be sure you click the Tab labeled Local Resources and at the bottom of the screen, see Local Devices and resources make sure that Printers and Clipboard are selected.
    3. Make the Local Printer you wish to print to on the machine initiating the Remote Desktop the default printer and be sure you can print to it (I have found this even works with shared networked printers)
    4. Install proper printer driver at the  Host End  (The site you're logging onto)  that matches the printer on the remote end (The end you’re initiating the Remote Desktop from). When you 1st install this printer on the Host End just select LPT1 as the port for now.
    5. On the Host end go to Devices and Printer and select the printer you  plan to print to, Click on printer properties, Select ports look for port labeled TS001, this should be the default printer on your local Remote Computer, Check this port and run a print test. (Unfortunately these TS??? Ports aren’t described by the operating system, the 3 systems I have checked this out on the port was labeled TS001 which was my default printer on the end initiating the remote desktop, but it certainly could be different on your system so it might take some trial and error to select the proper port.)
    • Proposed as answer by SteveDahl Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:29 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:29 PM
  • I am trying to load print drivers for Remote Desktop and the software will not load on the Windows 7 64 bit server because it is unable to find the printer which is located remotely.  Is there a workaround?
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 2:17 PM